Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: locks and keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobp
I only got red keys with my car, I think they are valet keys? The key I have works on the ignition and drivers door.

The passenger door lock was jimmyed at some point prior to my purchase, I have sourced another handle with lock cylinder to replace it. How hard are these cylinders to get out and repin?

I do not have a key that will lock the front trunk lever, can this be keyed to my red key? If not is it possible to get a black key to match my locks? How hard it it to get this lock cylinder out?

I have seen pics of locking glove boxes, how did people do this? Did you replace the glove box door? It seem a waste to look the oroginal door, as you could easily pry the whole door off anyway. I don't care about completely original interior, as my interior needs work and after pricing OEM and aftermarket stock stuff, I figure I can do a nice tasteful custom interior for less.

I don't have to worry about the rear trunk, it is electric release on a ignition switched circuit.
campbellcj
IMHO the best thing to do, if you can swing it, is to buy a new ignition lock -- electrical & lock portion. They are typically worn anyway. You will get new red keys with it (not sure why they only give you red "valet" keys, but they do).

Then you will have brand new sharp, copyable keys. Rekey everything else to match.

The gloveboxes I've seen had locks. Actually I have one off my track car if you want the lock mechanism (I have no use for it.)

The front trunk lock cylinder is a little tricky to remove. From what I recall, you have to detach the release cable from the front latch (up by the front bumper). There is a little set screw. Then, there's another little set screw on the pull handle under the dash, that should let you pull the handle assembly out.

Originally the black key was the master and the red was the 'valet' key, only working the doors and ignition (not the trunks or glovebox). Over the years the cars and keys all got bastardized so this gets very confusing. Lots of cars have more than one key...
bobp
That sounds like a good plan, new ignition switch and keys. I have a bad feeling about expense though, PP lists NLA, AA is 300-400 for new w/o the electric part. My switch works Ok, but the keys I have are worn bad. I think I may just have a local locksmith make up new keys, for the current igniton. And key all the locks to the new key.

Thanks for the info on front trunk lock removal.

My glovebox has no lock and doesn't look like it was ever intended to have one. I would be interested in yours. Are they all the same for all years and models? It sometimes seems like the 914 went through a LOT of changes for a 6 year production run.
seanery
If you want to do the rekey yourself, Pelican had an article on how to make them match at their site. It looked fairly simple.
DD may be able to direct you to it.
bobp
Thanks I will take a look through the Pelican site. I know someone with a locksmithing kit that can get me more pins if I need them. Most locks aren't to tough to key, once you figure out how to get them out and disassmebled.

I really do think I will go with some new ignition keys from a locksmith and rekeying my doors and other locks.

I like the valet key idea, anyone have any idea how the system worked? Extra pins on the Master key? If I could get the locking system back to original that would really please me.

I wonder about adding some kind of lock to the electric rear system if I do this. And maybe a lock for the engine cover too.

And I definitely want a glove box lock, I already lost one garage door opener and a pair of sunglasses. I tend to leave the top off most of the time. I now act like the car is a motorcycle and don't leave anything of value in it.
MarkV
I took my glove box lock apart and got it to work w/ my ignition key. I just eliminated most of the pins. I now only have two working pins in the lock, but it still locks.

I have one of those slide out stereos that I can now lock in the glove box. smash.gif

Mark Acosta
Jr JR member
73 2.0
bobp
The problem with my glove box is that it doesn;t have a lock at all.
74GoKart
I only got the red key with my '74, but I also found the original key code written in the owner's manual. I went to the dealer, they took my $18, three weeks later a new black key arrives from Germany. The guy at the parts counter told me that without the code they could send the VIN# to the factory and someone there would search the old records. Not sure how long that would have taken.
Nick
campbellcj
bobp what year/version is your car? What little experience I've got is with the 73 914-4's, and the early 911 (extremely similar, as far as this kind of stuff goes.)

Main reason I ask is that I got the ignition switch parts from Pelican not too long ago (2000?) for like $75, for both parts, and they were readily available. Perhaps no longer, or you have an earlier car?

You're right that it isn't too hard to rekey these locks. I jumped in and tried it a few years ago, with no prior lock experience, and it was surprisingly simple. The "hard" part is just pulling all the friggen door panels and stuff off and putting it all back together!
Brad Roberts
Bob,

are you SURE you dont have a lock for glove box ?? Unless you are on your head under the dash they are not easy to see. They mount up and too the left of the glove box door. I dont think I have ever seen anybody remove one.

Get a new switch if you can swing it and key from there.

B
MarkV
My mistake. I thought all years came w/ a glove box lock. My current 73 has one and my last 74 had one. What year 914 did not come w/ a lock?

Mark

73 2.0 unsure.gif
Brad Roberts
They did. (all of them came with locks)

B
bobp
The car is a 75 1.8l.

Brad, I will have to uncover the car and take a look, is the lock in the bottom of the dash? My glovebox door just kind of swings open.

Like I said the Pelican site lists the ignition switch tumbler part as NLA, I guess I can try and call them. AA lists prices in the hundreds and I am not willing to pay that much for a convenience part.
Dave_Darling
The glove box lock is just to the left of the glove box door. It is up near the top of that door, so it can be a little tough to see the lock from above.

There is an article on re-keying the locks in Pelican's 914 Tech Articles section. Also one on R&Ring the outer door handle. The rear trunk lock is trivial (if you can open the trunk that is!!) and the front trunk has been discussed already.

The glove box lock is simple to remove in theory but a pain to get to the attachments in practice. Just remove the latch arm from the back of the lock, and remove the large nut that holds the lock in.

The ignition lock is covered (at least somewhat) in Pelican's tech article on ignition switch replacement.

--DD
Gint
I hate to admit this, blink.gif but I was on my third 914 before I found the glove box lock. I didn't think the previous cars had one either until I found it. It's just under the dash overhang. I dare say you might very well find it when you uncover the car and look.
bobp
OK I am sure you guys know more than I do, so the glove box has a lock. I am still going to have to do something about keys as the one I have right now only works on the drivers dooor and ignition.

I will take a look at the Pelican rekeying article and see where that gets me.
mike12
you also get one from a locksmith
agentblr
This thread is 7 years old......... WTF.gif
JmuRiz
Haha, sure is...and due to that, I don't think they even have ignition locks/keys for sale anymore. This sucks because mine just crapped out on me.
monkeyboy
I though AA had keys. I may be wrong. Any locksmith can take a key blank and make them fit your lock.

My brother in law is a locksmith and he took my keys and made my new door handles work with them. Said the old locks were real simple to do. I bought him dinner anyway smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(agentblr @ Mar 9 2010, 06:12 AM) *

wacko.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(agentblr @ Mar 9 2010, 08:12 AM) *

I was wondering why Brad was responding....... shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.