Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A 15K Teener without a running light lens?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I noticed there is a nice teener for sale for 15K on ebay. You think the seller would spend $25 and get a running light lens for the left front fender. For that kind of money you expect it to be almost perfect. It is kinda like looking at a pretty girl but you can't past that pimple on her face!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...7c270796c#v4-40
KELTY360
I wonder if it's passed emissions.
TheCabinetmaker
"If" I was a serious buyer, a missing side marker lense would not be a sale stopper. I hope he gets that, and according to a few recent sales, he just might.
billh1963
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:46 PM) *

"If" I was a serious buyer, a missing side marker lense would not be a sale stopper. I hope he gets that, and according to a few recent sales, he just might.

Maybe so. However, when selling at the upper end of the market you would think he would spend just a couple of dolars to get a lense...even a used one.

Makes you wonder what else is missing or what corners have been cut?
Tom_T
agree.gif

... LF sidemarker lense is a relatively cheap part on a $15k car, so what else is missing &/or shortcutted? confused24.gif

One word: "Flipper" ....and I don't mean the 60's TV show talking porpoise! dry.gif

He states it's a shop, they repainted it, but didn't bother to rust treat & repaint the F trunk floor, who knows about the back trunk, hell hole, etc.!!?? confused24.gif

....and "inspected [the car]..." to confrim it's only 88k miles! blink.gif

I say buyer beware & do your homework & full independent PPI IMHO!

Also, I agree about the 76 CA smog certification question -
the seller must provide it by CA law, shades.gif
as I found out on the truly beautiful yellow/tan 76 2L listed on here, and I posted the DMV links in the Garage for those interested in any 76 914 FS.

popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
There are a number of flippers that frequent the Porsche boards. One of them was banned from rennlist and probably will be from pelican at some point soon. I've been watching the WTB 914-6 ads to see if he shows up.

I have no problem with flippers as long as they are honest about their intent. Often times they have connections to sell cars for higher prices than the average seller. What I do have problems with are the lies.

The flipper I am aware of builds a story about how he (or his dad) had the same car, should never have sold it, will keep it forever, blah, blah, blah and then a week after the car is sold it shows up on ebay. 914-6's are getting to that price point to draw a flippers attention.

904svo
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 19 2012, 09:18 AM) *

I wonder if it's passed emissions.

No emissions in GA for that car.
rick 918-S
I don't get why we just keep flaming people that are selling cars. I've seen this several times here over the last several months.

Granted the side light is missing. Maybe someone broke that light the day he was able to get photos. If he doesn't get the price or close to it that will be a reflection on his lack of attension to detail. In any event if he gets his price that just reinforces the fact that these cars seem to be increasing in demand and price. Good for the seller and buyer. Lets watch in anticipation.

Prices cars sell for help gauge the value for an enthusist. Here's an example.

I had a 1959 MGA from California. Nice paint, no rust ever, new brakes, new interior, fresh (incorrect but better) 1800 5 main engine. I couldn't get over 6500.00 for this very nice driver.
As an enthusist would you take a car apart and restore a rust buck if you could purchase one for less than half of the cost of a low budget resto? Number one reason I quit messing with Brit cars.

Now, I had a 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 BN1 hulk. I sold the car north of 10K. Would you consider restoring a hulk if you knew the cars were bringing north of 45K?

So, evertime I see a 914 sell north of 12K I'm encourged that fewer cars will be scraped and more will be repaired. It's hard to justify shipping a car across country and doing a total resto if you end up with a low budget toy no one is willing to purchase. Good return is good for owners as they potencially stand to maybe break even with their hobby, good for parts sellers as they are able to keep the lights on another month and good for the shops assisting the guys with less skills.

Winning! first.gif
billh1963
I absolutely hope prices are going up. If they do, it will vindicate what I have said on this board several times, "Quit scrapping out decent cars!"

I have a similar story to your 100-4. In the mid- 1980's I got in a big Healey buying spree and owned a couple 100-6's, a couple 3000 MKI BT7's, a MkII Tricarb BT7, and a 3000 MkIII ph.2. Some were parts cars that I had paid $300 to $400 each for (and I really mean they were truly hulks...worse than you can imagine). Anyway, by the end of the 1980's I sold those hulks for $3,000 each.

Look at this way. There were only a little over 4000 '76 models built. How many are left? Maybe half? At some point, those will become worth saving. They may not become Ferrari valuable; however, they will be worth restoring.

Mark my words...I've been here before!
monkeyboy
It's always seemed weird to me how resistant people are here to the idea that these cars are getting more valuable until they need to sell theirs.

These cars are on the way up. The days of free parts, and $500 cars are on their way out. These cars are starting to show real value.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 19 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Also, I agree about the 76 CA smog certification question -
the seller must provide it by CA law, shades.gif
as I found out on the truly beautiful yellow/tan 76 2L listed on here, and I posted the DMV links in the Garage for those interested in any 76 914 FS.

popcorn[1].gif

The seller reported, in answer to my question,

"this car has a new current ca reg , there is no smog required on 914s in ca,
regards air cooled engine company "
Loser_Cruiser
I personally would not like to see the prices escalate, I enjoy the driving aspect of these cars. With high prices they really become more of a collector car/ trophy. For me these were bang for your buck. You could pick up a decent runner for a reasonable price do some upgrades and have the equivalent of many modern sporty cars, performance wise. The rising prices I feel will direct people who actually enjoy the car for driving, toward other vehicles and eventually ccw's will be the majority. I was able to buy my 3.6 widebody 911 for less than this 914-4 is asking. I love 914's, have had 6, but at the higher price point it's just not worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.