Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Sound Deadening Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrhdmust
I am working on restoring a 74> I am just about finished with the trunks, and now I have moved to the cockpit.

Does someone have an easy way to get the factory sound deadening up? I am having to chip it off with a hammer, and putty knife.

JR
snakemain
Putty knife and a heat gun. Mine came up easy as pie.
Rand
agree.gif
Yup, same here.
pilothyer
You could try just to opposite.......dry ice and a rubber mallet.
Mr.242
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jan 19 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Putty knife and a heat gun. Mine came up easy as pie.

+1
I did drivers side a different way and became very frustrated and it didn't clean up nice.

The passenger side was a heat gun and I was done in 30 minutes and it was much cleaner.

Rand
I've heard the dry ice thing works well.
Depends on what tools you have I suppose. By the time I could have found dry ice and got back home with it, the job could be mostly done with the heat gun (or torch) and putty knife I have on hand.
Lennies914
This little jewel makes fast easy work of it. They are on sale amost always for $19.99
Just use the scraper blades and go at it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/o...tool-68303.html
jsayre914
I dont know if its the best way, but I torched it and used a chisel welder.gif
bandjoey
HF Multi Tool. Cuts like melted butter. Cleanup takes longer than getting the tar off the floor.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2012, 11:43 AM) *

HF Multi Tool. Cuts like melted butter. Cleanup takes longer than getting the tar off the floor.

I bought one of these tools just for this reason, probably won't get to the floors any time soon, but watching the videos sure made it look easy.
HeloMech
I did my '73 with the heat gun and putty knife. Easy easy easy.
John
I too used a combination of things. I used a heat gun, a propane torch, chisels and scrapers.

Once I got most all of the tar out, I used 3M adhesive remover and wiped all the tar off. The paint under all the tar was clean. I scraped out my tar to make sure there was no rust hiding underneath. I ended up repairing a couple quarter size holes.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jrrhdmust
Thanks for the assistance. I knew someone had figured out a better way than I was trying.

Great looking pics!
ellisor3
I used a steel wheel on a power drill to get down into the cracks. Makes a mess, but isn't like scraping.
Harpo
I tried the milwaukee version of the tool and ended up with a heat gun and a putty knife.

DAvid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.