Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion a daily driver?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
OK I'm trying to get creative on how I can justify a 914-6 conversion to my wife. I have 3 cars currently Boxster, Toyota Echo and 74 914 1.8. I'm thinking if I get rid of the Boxster and maybe the Toyota I could justify the expense and tell her it makes sense for me to upgrade the 914 to a six and use it as a daily driver.

I'd really like to be driving a 914-6 but I dont think she would be happy if I did this without chucking my other cars. Do you think a well done 914-6 conversion would be ok for daily driver for six months or so?
seanery
Hell Yeah!

I'd go with an injected 3.0 or 3.2 as a DD though, especially where gas is $2/gallon or more.
Those little motors suck, ya know! laugh.gif Seriously, I'd go injected -I hate CIS, but I'd take it in a 3.0.
Brad Roberts
3.2 all the way.. fires right up with the Motronic injection. Re-gear a 901 for the torque of the 3.2 and have fun. Great daily drivers..

B
Joe Bob
Drove my conversion every day for 3 years until I stoopidly got rid of it....
736conver
It better be good as a daily driver. Thats were mine is going to spend most of its time.
iamchappy
Thats what I am using mine for with a 3.0 turbo none the less.
Verruckt
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 26 2004, 03:27 PM)
Thats what I am using mine for with a 3.0 turbo none the less.

Pics???? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
anthony
Personally, I don't like my 914 as a daily driver. Let me correct that - I don't like it in stop and go traffic. It's annoying to shift from first a million times in a row. 914s also aren't very waterproof so I don't drive mine in the rain if I can help it. Not having A/C also kind of sucks on super hot/humid days. The other thing is that any 30 year old car is not going to be reliable like a new car.
iiibdsiil
I drove mine everyday for a while, which was a pain in the butt because I have very loud exhaust (read: header to 12in glass pack to 6 inch long tip). Also, the AC wasn't working for a while, so sitting at a light sucked. Rain sucked, if you got on it it would show you who is in charge. No ABS in the rain with a 23 MM master cylinder is scary. Sparcos get uncomfortable. Did I go Ahhhhh in pleasure everytime I got into my other car, or my moms car to drive? Yeah.

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

Everytime you get on it, you smile. With the 3.2 with motronic, it fires up all the time. I am thinking about putting a quieter exhaust system on it, but, I don't want to loose the power...

Put the AC in it. Get new seals so you don't get dripped on like I do when it rains. Have a blast.
grantsfo
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 26 2004, 04:31 PM)
Personally, I don't like my 914 as a daily driver. Let me correct that - I don't like it in stop and go traffic. It's annoying to shift from first a million times in a row. 914s also aren't very waterproof so I don't drive mine in the rain if I can help it. Not having A/C also kind of sucks on super hot/humid days. The other thing is that any 30 year old car is not going to be reliable like a new car.

OK let me clarify. My daily drive would be driving down a twisty mountian road for 4 miles and then 9 miles along empty section of highway 1 in Northern California to my Van Pool! Not much stop and go.
anthony
Is Vanpool parking safe? I wouldn't leave my 914 at the local Park and Ride for anything especially if it had a 3.2 in it.
iiibdsiil
Well, in South Florida (I just moved to Tampa), we don't have a whole lotta twisties. But, the few that we kinda had, I would always take advantage of, and they were always great.

I started looking at every turn as a twistie. Lol. And, you can make your own short twisties in traffic.... biggrin.gif

Just make sure there aren't many cops where you will be driving, because you WILL be speeding.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 26 2004, 04:31 PM)

That's the MAIN reason I moved from SmelLA and turned down an offer in the Bay Area....traffic, If I had stayed or did the bay Area gig, I probably would have pulled a gun by now and splattered some asshole in traffic...........

Traffic and sticks just don't mix......I'm 14 miles from work and on BAD day takes me fifteen minutes.....On a REALLY good day I'll take the long way and get in some twisties..... rocking nana.gif

I guess that's why there are so many auto Boxsters....
thomasotten
Getting rid of the Echo? Man. Think about that first. Think about it real hard. wink.gif

I drove mine straight for 5 year through engineering school. As a daily driver, yes, they can make you hate them. I remember just wanting a Honda at times. It got more and more reliable as I started fixing things right.

I remember one time driving from a party late at night with a shot alternator. The lights were dimming, and I had to turn the radio off, and eventually the headlights just to keep spark for the motor. Imagine driving without lights on non-lit streets on Texas backroads.

Ah, memories...
iamchappy
I look forward to every outing in my car. It has been such a pleasure to drive since sorting out
all of the the little problems with the turbo modification. I have logged quite a few miles over the
past week.

I was going to start my own thread about my driving impressions of the 914 turbo carrera. I might as well
start rambling on about it now and finalize with the topic if you dont mind.
type.gif
The 1st gear starts over and over can get annoying so then I get lazy and start in 2nd. I usually put the car
in neutral when at a long light saving on the clutch components and my leg.
driving.gif
The car drives beautifully smooth, it seems to have more low end torque than when it was in stock 3.0 cis form, I attribute this I think to the Flowmaster muffler 3" in straight through 3" out or less restricted breathing, back pressure?
All I know is that it has a better grunt down low now.

I look forward to every highway on and off ramp. Especially the on ramps where at times I may see the end of 5th gear. The car is a beast on boost, presses you firmly into your seat and makes your eyes as big as moons. ( just ask Qarl )w00t.gif
The boost starts to build and you anticipate what's coming, all of a sudden your shifting through the gears fast as hell and holding on for life, I still find it a little unsettling at times but I cant get enough of it.

It's a lot like going up and over the hill on the roller coaster and exhilarating the life out of you.
Then ease back the rpm's down to a smooth comfortable ride.

This is the car Porsche should of built. Also I hope others follow my lead and turbocharge there 3.0 and 3.2 engined cars. Start thinking 914 Turbo Carrera as a reality.

I hope to get as much use out of it from Spring to Fall every year and will long to drive it again come Spring.

I will get busy on the finishing touches with paint and trim so that it looks worthy of it's new heart.

I say to all you club members drive your 914 as much as you can, I have been driving a 914 for 30 years, I have made 3 trips to and from Minnesota to California , 2 trips to Hood River Oregon and back loaded with wind surfing gear. 4 trips to Jackson Wyoming, once during the winter with my ski equipment and countless trips to the grocery store because of the huge payload the trunk space provides.

The only downside is anything more than 3 passengers in the car makes for difficult shifting.

I envy all those who can drive there car year round, I did for many of the first years I owned my new 914
and even found it was a very capable winter car unfortunately it was also the demise of the poor car and it should of never of been subjected to a Minnesota winter.

If a 914 3.0 Turbo Carrera can be a daily driver for me then why not a 3.0 or 3.2 six for you. I say go for it. type.gif driving.gif w00t.gif
campbellcj
Honestly no matter how much I love 914's, for many of us they just make little sense as a daily driver. I am currently driving 50 miles a day and you name it, I encounter it -- Clueless "look ma, no hands!" mammoth SUV drivers, traffic snarls, temps that range from 35-105°F, valet parking, and yes the need to sometimes haul passengers or "stuff" that just would not fit in a teener.

That said, I did drive my former teener at least 4 days a week for a couple of years and it worked out fine at that point in my life i.e. much shorter commute, a younger man's body that did not care about effective heating/cooling or ergonomic seats, and no kids.

But probably the biggest argument is RAIN. 914's or other early P/VW cars are just not pleasant at all in rain/snow compared to 'modern' vehicles. Even if it only rains a few days a year where you live, that is still a valid argument for alternative transportation IMHO.

So the decision is all about whether it would work out for YOUR needs, realistically.
iamchappy
I think we need to come up with another reason tell your wife why you need to have a 914 6 conversion. Then tell me so my wife understands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.