Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA auto cross at the
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I just got an email from the local PCA folks here. They are trying to have an auto cross at the new Porsche test track. They are required to have TSA trained guards on duty the whole time. TSA guards?? WTF.gif
Chris Pincetich
would we be limited to 3 oz of extra motor oil carried in a clear, quart sized bag?
biggrin.gif
Keep us posted on this! beerchug.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 04:52 PM) *

I just got an email from the local PCA folks here. They are trying to have an auto cross at the new Porsche test track. They are required to have TSA trained guards on duty the whole time. TSA guards?? WTF.gif

Hopefully, you are kidding.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 19 2012, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 04:52 PM) *

Hopefully, you are kidding.

The email said they can rent guards or have their own people take a four hour training course at the Santa Maria airport. I'm assuming it's the Transportation Security Administration. That TSA. I'll try to follow up.
yeahmag
This is the new facility in Ontario?
Elliot Cannon
I thought they were talking about the test track in Carson? Apparently the auto cross is at the Santa Maria airport and they need TSA guards there because they have airline service at Sant Maria. My senior moments seem to be getting closer together by the day. yellowsleep[1].gif smoke.gif
Tom_T
The Carson Facility is probably 18+ months away from completion....but opening when?????

They must be concerned about someone losing AX and ...... blowup.gif

biggrin.gif
Steve
The web site said they are breaking ground this March, but I saw bull dozers all over the place last weekend.
ww914
I got the same email and when asked exactly what a guard does, I got this reponse:

"One or more guards will meter traffic at the keypad entry gate into the facility. They will also do registration but they are responsible for getting everyone to sign the releases and letting people in after they have registered. One guard will direct traffic for safety reasons onto the facility. Tell people where to park and how to drive to the parking area. Another will be stationed between the Jet Center and the AX site to direct people not to drive onto the jet parking area. That's about it.
Commitment is for a 4 hour class and attending both days of this first event. There will be a one day event later this year and that attendance would be required."

I thought I was volunteering to help run the AX, but apparently it is an airport requirement. A couple of years ago I had to do a 2 hour training thing just to get a gate pass to get on the tarmac at San Luis Airport.

In any case, I am more than happy to comply to get AX back in our club. We haven't had it since 2005.
pcar916
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 03:52 PM) *

TSA guards?? WTF.gif

Oh yeah. Cavity search and the only tools you can use are dull and made of flame-retardant cloth or closed-cell foam. Cell phones have to be turned off and forget sneakin' anything in your shorts... or G-strings. piratenanner.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 01:52 PM) *

May I quote from the e-mail? Good, here it is:

CCCR (our region) is going to stage an autocross at the test track Porsche created for the world wide media introduction to the 991 (2012 - 911). This will be the first autocross staged by CCCR since 2005.

It says NOTHING about the Porsche test facility in Carson (NOT Ontario, BTW).

I volunteered for the TSA training, BTW. Does that mean I get to embarrass, grope, strip search, and otherwise upset people? "Sorry, Ma'am, just doing my job ..............."

The Cap'n
ww914
I volunteered for the TSA training, BTW. Does that mean I get to embarrass, grope, strip search, and otherwise upset people? "Sorry, Ma'am, just doing my job ..............."

The Cap'n

That's funny. See you there
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 20 2012, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 01:52 PM) *

May I quote from the e-mail? Good, here it is:

CCCR (our region) is going to stage an autocross at the test track Porsche created for the world wide media introduction to the 991 (2012 - 911). This will be the first autocross staged by CCCR since 2005.

It says NOTHING about the Porsche test facility in Carson (NOT Ontario, BTW).

The Cap'n

Where, by golly would we be without the Cap'n around to explain things for us? For someone who is much older than myself, his reading comprehension is much better than mine. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.