Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the incredible disappearing 1st and reverse....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
on the way home from work, 1st and reverse went bye bye.....

had noticed shifting getting a bit sloppy yesterday and a bit worse today. then on the way home, 1st and reverse are gone.

going to let the thing cool down a bit then crawl underneath and see if there is any obvious linkage issue but really need some professional, experienced input ASAP to help me with this QUICK!!!!

i have a side shift with a weltmeister short shift kit.

how it seems now is 2nd where reverse should be, 3rd down of course, then 4th WAY over to the right along with 5th. i replaced all bushings but the firewall over the winter and checked over the weekend that all my set screws were still there.

HELP!!!! ohmy.gif
mike_the_man
Sounds like one of the cone set screws is loose to me. Also, could be the firewall bushing. Check and make sure it's still there. Get someone to move the shifter while you are under the car, to see if all of the linkage is moving and nothing is obviously loose.

Good luck,
Joseph Mills
agree.gif

Also check your weltmeister kit area. Sure sounds like front or rear CONE screw.
lapuwali
Of the linkage pinch bolt near the shift lever has loosened and the lever has rotated with respect to the shifter tube some. More common on tailshifters, it seems, but it can happen to side-shifters, too.
scottb
culprit was the rear set screw. i am mobile again. thanks everyone for the quick input....

but the rear trunk hinge decided to break at the weld... headbang.gif

when are the boxsters gonna be at $10k????
redshift
smile.gif

When they need another $20k to make them road-worthy.

Is the 914 a stepping stone?

M
scottb
hey red....

no the teener is not a stepping stone. is far too much fun and gets a lot more looks than a boxster. had a very nice parking lot conversation the other day with a guy who had no idea what the car was. don't get that with a boxster. besides, i am inept enough wrenching on this car let alone trying to tackle a boxster blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.