Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what I found in cylinder #3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
my wife hates my car
Click to view attachment

Ok, so I bought Stella (my 1976 914) over a year ago , knowing it had a "rod knock". I think I was just scared to tear into it, cuz before this car i was pretty much a small block chevy guy. I finally got around to getting the engine out, then pretty much looked at it for a few days, once again, knowing I'm in over my head. After taking 80,000 pictures, labeling everything I could, I started to remove stuff. I got to the big tubes on the right side, pulled them off, & kinda glanced down at the valves to see if they were wet. (it blew a little smoke when I brought it home) It was almost a relief to see something I knew wasn't right. I pulled this clamp out of the head port, & smiled, thinking this was the "rod knock", but then realized the screw was missing. I will pull the head tomorrow, & hope the clamp was missing it's screw before someone dropped it down the intake.

My question to you 914 veterans..........Do I continue to go all the way with this (split the case, new bearings, etc) or just do the top end? I will probobly drive Stella once a month on weekends to an occasional car show.......do I need to go in deep? How long does the bottom end usually last in these things? Thanks, Hank
messix
the only thing i have for you is that you obviously have not gone through sir andy's school of photography! lol-2.gif

good find. i'd pull the heads and jugs then check the condition of jugs pistons rings and the heads then make your call on how fubar'd those are.
my wife hates my car
I suck at adding pictures. Sir andy yelled at me last time cuz they weren't jpeg, haha! I need to downsize, I guess. thanks for the info.
Series9
In many ways, the top-end and bottom-end exist in parallel, but separate universes.

The top could be trashed and the bottom could be fine. It happens all the time in /6s.
messix
QUOTE(my wife hates my car @ Jan 19 2012, 05:35 PM) *

I suck at adding pictures. Sir andy yelled at me last time cuz they weren't jpeg, haha! I need to downsize, I guess. thanks for the info.

your pictures are clear and in focus..... not per sir andy specs. av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Start with the top end. See how it looks. If stuff is clearly wrong, do the bottom end too.

Zach
my wife hates my car
Do lesbians really taste like chicken? That is so cool.You are right, paralell.I knew that was coming. But us chevy guys, top end, bottom end, .........you know. confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(my wife hates my car @ Jan 19 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Do lesbians really taste like chicken? That is so cool.You are right, paralell.I knew that was coming. But us chevy guys, top end, bottom end, .........you know. confused24.gif

nope..... tuna just like all the rest! happy11.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 19 2012, 08:41 PM) *

agree.gif
Start with the top end. See how it looks. If stuff is clearly wrong, do the bottom end too.

Zach

Crap. Now I'm a commie sympathizer.

my wife hates my car
Click to view attachmentmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........... tuna
Series9
QUOTE(my wife hates my car @ Jan 19 2012, 08:47 PM) *

Yeah, but with a clit the size of your thumb..... barf.gif
bandjoey
Sandbox only!
sean_v8_914
what kind of car is that red one. my eyes cant seem to focus on it
ottox914
uuuuhhh... there's a red car where?
76-914
To answer your question; the bottom half is tough as hell!
mikea100
I vote for this picture to be on this website's home page. sheeplove.gif

QUOTE(my wife hates my car @ Jan 19 2012, 08:47 PM) *

messix
one of my favorites and she's a member!
Ductech
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 20 2012, 08:19 PM) *

one of my favorites and she's a member!

Now that's a keeper ! It's to damn cold in this state to get my wife to do that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.