Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tar mat replacement for floorboard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
There seems to be two options available for replacing the sound deadening material on the floorboard. The first I found at Atlanta and looks like a direct substitute of the factor material (i.e. asphalt).

The second is a 'new age' peal and stick material at MidAmerica. Claims to be lighter and offer better sound deadening characteristics than asphalt products.

I suppose a third option would be to do nothing at all??.....

Any first hand experiences with these products out there? Ease of use issues would be great to hear.

thanks
Brad Roberts
Leave it off. I want to see what is going on with the floorboards at all times. Every time I peel up the tar paper.. I find rust in the grooves. Put down more tar paper... traps moisture..rust starts again and you never see it happening.

B
SirAndy
i left it out for now and it's definately *louder*. a lot more road-noise.

i opted against glueing anything back onto the floors, it'll just trap water like the old mats did, no matter what you use.

here's what i'm planning on doing:

get a nice carpet set and glue some sound deadning mats to the underside of the carpet!
that way it'll be easy to remove (just lift the carpet up) but still be functional.

this should be much cleaner ...

now, if i could only get all that sand out of my car ...
headbang.gif Andy
Jeroen
I'd just leave 'm out completely

Less weight (=more hp)
No water traps (= no rust)

Clean the floorboards and POR15 'em

I guess you're gonna put carpet back in?
That will have some sound damping effect as well

Then again, that's just me and I have no desire for comfort in a car what so ever biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
wow 3 x the same answer in 2 minutes biggrin.gif
jr91472
not only the same answer, but the cheapest one as well. This will probably never happen to me again.

beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If'n ya POR-15 the floors, where's the worry about rust? The Cap'n, pointing out the obvious
Brad Roberts
Por15 is starting to SUCK in my books. It is coming up from everything I have put it on over the last 4 years. I may have not been prepping something right in the beginning. idea.gif

B
SpecialK
Peel it, prep it, POR it, and coat it with this stuff.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appa...proofliquid.php
Joe Bob
Get that sound deadening silverized stuff that appbiz sells....get it a roll, cut to fit and pull it up every once in awhile....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.