Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot spark vs Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
I have a 2056 Ljet w a 009AA distributor. It was starting and running good, albeit with some pinging under load that I'm trying to eliminate. so I removed the points and replaced them w a Pertronix unit. I followed the instructions, removing the distributor to make the installation easier, and now she no start. No spark either. I went through the troubleshooting guide, I have a Bosch blue coil w 3.1 ohms, a charged battery, voltage at the coil etc. I called Pertronix, and now two days later have not heard back from their tech dept. bs.gif

So my question is...( and Ivegone through the search) has the Hot Spark SVDA been swapped out to anyone's great satisfaction? It seems like a setup that should work, andtheprice for the distributor with the unit installed seems like a good deal.

BTW, if anyone has any tips on the Pertronix unit, I'm listening.

Thanks,

Joe
Dave_Darling
Didja hook it up backwards? If so, even for a moment, it's fried.

Sorry, no experience with Hot Spark.

--DD
scott_in_nh
I've had Hot Spark in my 914 for about 2000 miles (2 months) and it was the best $50 bucks I've spent on the car.
Porschef
No, I was very diligent with the hookups, well aware of the effects of cross polarity.
ottox914
Until I went with crank fired SDS system, I used pertronix on all the engines that went into the 914, and yup, fried one due to stupidity. Once set up they were perfect, no complaints. Bummer to think you might have cooked one, but FWIW, I liked mine.
Porschef
Hey David,

How's that turbo running?
avidfanjpl
I have a pertronix in my 2.0L and am about to add it to my 914-6 2.0L. I love them.

I will never go back to points, but I do carry spare points and condenser just in case.

Had it in for 4000 miles. No problems, but unless you gap them correctly, the car will not start.

Might not even show spark, but I don't know that last item.

John
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jan 20 2012, 12:26 PM) *

I have a 2056 Ljet w a 009AA distributor. It was starting and running good, albeit with some pinging under load that I'm trying to eliminate. so I removed the points and replaced them w a Pertronix unit. I followed the instructions, removing the distributor to make the installation easier, and now she no start. No spark either. I went through the troubleshooting guide, I have a Bosch blue coil w 3.1 ohms, a charged battery, voltage at the coil etc. I called Pertronix, and now two days later have not heard back from their tech dept. bs.gif

So my question is...( and Ivegone through the search) has the Hot Spark SVDA been swapped out to anyone's great satisfaction? It seems like a setup that should work, andtheprice for the distributor with the unit installed seems like a good deal.

BTW, if anyone has any tips on the Pertronix unit, I'm listening.

Thanks,

Joe

Did you rotate it to TDC for #1 before removing the dizzy? If not, it is possible that you are 180 degrees out of time. Also, make sure that your distributor is fully seated, or it could be jumping time. I replaced the O ring on mine and had a hell of a time getting it to fully seat. Turned out that it was hanging on my tin a bit. I have about 500 miles on my Pertronix (1.8), and I love it so far. No problems whatsoever.
Porschef
Even if it were 180 out, I should sill have a spark at the distributor hot lead when grounded, no? I got nothin. I marked the location of the rotor when I pulled it and it went right back in that spot.

Joe
TheCabinetmaker
Just damn near impossible to get a 914 diz in backwards except with a hammer.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 21 2012, 07:25 AM) *

Just damn near impossible to get a 914 diz in backwards except with a hammer.

agree.gif but it is very easy to have your rotor pointing at 2 instead of 1, but given his response, I don't think that is the case.
Drums66
....Ah Hah....Pertronix poke.gif
boldblue.gif stones.gif stones.gif tunez.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
Porschef
Ok....update..I pulled the distributor again and...

When I tightened the small nut to secure the unit to the plate, the sharp edge of the star washer/nut dug into the negative lead, essentially grounding the unit. Fortunately it wasnt the pos or I'm sure the unit would have been fried. So a little shrink tube and reset of the gap, and back in she went. Car started, now just to reset timing.

Figgers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.