Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this stupid.... even for me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I enlisted the help of three guys from the nieghborhood to help me lift my 911 motor from the stand, to the back of my truck - a grand total of maybe 16 inches from point A to point B. I was simply going to leave the yoke on the motor, undo the bolt that keeps the yoke from rotating in the the stand, slide the yoke/motor off of the stand an into the back of the truck. There is not really any lifting - just holding up!

Do you think 4 guys can do this weight wize?

I was able to lift a type 4 motor without heads (but with the crank and pistons still installed) by myself. I dont have any idea how much a fully dressed (carbs/fan/etc) 911 motor weighs.

This is what I get for forgetting to bring the hoist home last night.....
Ferg
What time, should be no problem.
MDG
confused24.gif

My wife and I lifted my 3.2 and my 10 year old daughter guided the yoke into the stand.

So I think you might want to enlist a few more people smile.gif

edit: I've just been reminded the 15 year old kid next door helped. That's from a pallet up and onto the stand. You'll get it done with a person to spare.

My old 2.2 was no problem for 2 people to lift
SLITS
3 of us picked up a 2.7 and also a 3.0. No problem.
Scott S
Ferg, you have mail! KMA.gif

biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Sure, I carried a big block chevy block into my basement by myself. It was pretty funny. I got down the stairs with this thing in a bear hug then couldn't firure out how I was going to set it down. screwy.gif I ended up turning around and sitting on one of the steps wacko.gif Hey I was deperate. I just picked it up at the machine shop and it started to rain! ohmy.gif
JmuRiz
Me and a friend took a 2.7 off a truck and onto the engine stand...more of q slide, but still OK. And I'm a skinny sob.

Now a heavy engine like a Benz...you'd need a hoist.
URY914
I picked up my entire car and drank a cold beer with my free hand. beer.gif
Mike Bellis
2.0L -6 is 290lbs in my book...
Gint
We talking morning here?

Sharon helped me put the motor back in the zambeziteen last weekend. laugh.gif
Ferg
We got it done last night Gint. 3 of us, no problem.

Motor is in! Great news.
stugray
Crap! even I would have helped after dual hernia surgery a couple of years ago.

I have carried TWO vw engines up & down staircases with just two of us to do rebuilds in the middle of our living rooms.

Didnt see this until now.
We need a local "914-alert" reverse 911 feature in CO. ;-)

Stu
Scott S
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 21 2012, 08:10 AM) *

We got it done last night Gint. 3 of us, no problem.

Motor is in! Great news.

Yep! Thanks again Ferg - great to see you and the "little ones". Cripes, where does the time go.

When I was strapping it down last night in the bed of the girl truck, I came away absolutey filthy/covered in oil. Could not figure it out - it actually kept me up last night.

Then I found the two quarts of oil that had leaked out of there containers and into the dufflebag in my trunk that had all of my tools, Jumper cables and TIE DOWNS in it. Litterally sopping in 20/50..... headbang.gif

It took my litterally 5 minutes to unload the motor at the shop and get it back on its stand. It took me two hours to get my trunk clean afterwards...................... headbang.gif headbang.gif

Thanks again!!!!!!
beerchug.gif
Series9
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 20 2012, 08:55 PM) *

I picked up my entire car and drank a cold beer with my free hand. beer.gif

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.