Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Regarding the discussion of whether black was a color option for MY 70, I consulted an English edition of [/i]Christophorus[/i] dated October 1969, No 83.
Said edition states that the 914 model was available in six standard colors.
blood orange
signal orange
Irish green
light ivory
Adriatic blue (914 specific)
lemon yellow (914 specific)

"Four metallic colors are also optional for the 914 range" according to [i]Christo[i]
metallic silver
metallic blue
metallic green
metallic red

Of course we all know that the factory did change things as a model year progressed, but I'd have to believe the Karmann build plate to be convinced that a color was "factory" when it isn't listed as a color option. Exception being the special color-to-order code on the Karmann plate.

Paul
sixerdon
I agree and as I have the same issue and to put the 914 color palate in context with the article, it focused on introducing "safety" colors along with the 911's list of 9 standard colors and 19 "special" or optional colors.

Also to be noted is that the October English issue is actually translated by the Slonigers (as was all issues of Christo) from the September German issue and therefore the article would have been written in July or early August for the German issue. The point is, what is planned in July/August of any manufacture year, obviously can be changed or altered at a later date within the MY period. For instance, Lemon Yellow was changed at some point to Canary Yellow. Perhaps they may have realized that Lemon + 914 wouldn't fit well with public perceptions. As you and I each own a yellow 914, how would you feel calling yours a Lemon? In addition, Bluteorange in German was translated to Blood Orange in English then to Tangerine. This info is from the "1970 Porsche Colors" brochure published 0869 by.........VW-Porsche VG (subject to change) for P+A.

As with most manufacturers, "Subject to Change" is the standard policy. If a customer wanted Black, then sell him/her Black.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.