Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duh! The obvious is not always the obvious!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
The purpose of this forum is to help anyone who is trying to stop those pesky vacuum leaks and can't figure it out.

My 73 1.7 was having high idle issues. After replacing all the vacuum hoses plus the intake hoses and manifold gaskets, the idle was better but still at 1200.

I was looking at the air filter box where it inserts into the air box. I squeezed it with my hand while running and the idle went down to 900!

A quick trip to Home Depot for a large hose clamp and my teener is sounding mighty purdy!

I guess over the 39 years the connection seal was not the same as new.

Hope this helps anyone who may be experiencing vacuum leaks and high idle.

Terry
Jamie
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 21 2012, 12:10 PM) *

The purpose of this forum is to help anyone who is trying to stop those pesky vacuum leaks and can't figure it out.

My 73 1.7 was having high idle issues. After replacing all the vacuum hoses plus the intake hoses and manifold gaskets, the idle was better but still at 1200.

I was looking at the air filter box where it inserts into the air box. I squeezed it with my hand while running and the idle went down to 900!

A quick trip to Home Depot for a large hose clamp and my teener is sounding mighty purdy!

Terry

Terry, there was originally a hose clamp there, and someone left it off. blink.gif
tadink
Terry - question for you - I'm about to replace all my vacuum hoses as well, did you happen to note how many feet of each diameter you used? Asked this question before and there did not seem to be a consensus - I'd like to order the right amount of each diameter before embarking on this - just asking?

thanks - td
JawjaPorsche
Jamie,

I am the original owner of the car and I have never seen a clamp there! The first 60K miles my teener was serviced by my Porsche dealership. You would think they would recognize the problem! Go figure!

Terry

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 21 2012, 05:06 PM) *

Terry

Terry, there was originally a hose clamp there, and someone left it off. blink.gif
JawjaPorsche
td,

Auto Atlanta sells a vacuum Line Kit:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Vacuum-...BAAVACKIT1.html

They also have kits for the 1.8 and 2.0

Hope this helps.

Terry

QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 21 2012, 06:19 PM) *

Terry - question for you - I'm about to replace all my vacuum hoses as well, did you happen to note how many feet of each diameter you used? Asked this question before and there did not seem to be a consensus - I'd like to order the right amount of each diameter before embarking on this - just asking?

thanks - td

windforfun
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 21 2012, 02:06 PM) *

Terry

Right on. There's suppose to be a clamp there. Mine had one. Too many beers at the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.