Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle body question for 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
.... So while I have my motor pulled I've decided to replace all of the sensors, vacuum lines, fuel hoses, injectors, and harness for my 1971 1.7L.

So far, so good. One little issue though. My thoroughly awesome new fuel injection harness has a connector for the throttle body TPS with four pins, which I believe is normal for the early 1.7 D-Jet. The throttle body I have has five pins. Looking at the old harness, I see that the 5-pin harness has only four pins attached.

Is it possible to simply cut the new harness and wire it up to the old connector? Or would the signals be all wrong?

Alternatively, I could try to find another throttle body. Frankly, my throttle body (or valve, call it what you like) is kind of worked out and I couldn't find anyone locally who felt like re-bushing it.

My guess is that this throttle body was pulled from a later 1.7.

Anyone care to weigh in on what the best course of action would be? I'm not sure what explains the wiring differences.

Thanks!

-marcus
TheCabinetmaker
Don't cut that wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will pull out the back after you release the lock in the front. The five pin connector with only 4 used is correct.
r3dplanet
Right. I see what you mean there.

But what about the order? I don't seem to have diagrams for them.

-m.
TheCabinetmaker
Its all in the wiring diagrams in the FSM or in the haynes. You can also find some diagrams at the Pelican site. Its the slot on the left(view the plug from the wire side) that doesn't get used. Put them in the same order they are now.
914_teener
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 21 2012, 02:34 PM) *

Its all in the wiring diagrams in the FSM or in the haynes. You can also find some diagrams at the Pelican site. Its the slot on the left(view the plug from the wire side) that doesn't get used. Put them in the same order they are now.

Mr. Bowlsby is your man here.....I have his work in my car.

Go to his site and check the wiring diagrams he has.

I am not sure whether you have one of his harnesses....you didn't say....or if it is from another car of the same year.

r3dplanet
Yes. I see now.

I carefully poked out the wires from the 4-pin connector and clicked them into the 5-pin with a little jeweler's screwdriver wiggling. I think I'm going to try to find someone who can disassemble the throttle body and tighten it up with new bushings while I'm in here.

Thanks everyone.

-m.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.