Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS9146Driver
Okay guys, how many different styles of fog light lenses were use over the years of round lights.
Why I ask? I have a '70 914-6 that has lenses that are fluted and segmented like a head light bulb. My '72 & '74 have two different styles of bulbs that have long vertical flutes, though each slightly different.
I am aware of the Euro driving lights, but I believe they don't have flutes at all. Correct?
I am hoping to replace the 914-6 lenses with another correct set, my bulbs are burned out and the lenses are so cracked that they will fall apart when the retainer rings are removed.
Your input would be helpful. Thanks, George.
Eric_Shea
While searching the same subject, I found this post from George. Looks like no answers. I'm hoping someone will see it an know.

I'm rebuilding two sets right now and have the same issues with two different lenses.

Tall Bi-Fluted Lens - Came on a 914-6 (may have been replaced at one time or another), are Hella's marked TN1 - TN2

Thin Single Flute Lens - Came on (?), are Hella's marked TN4

Both have SAE markings.

For me the real question is... what do you get now if you order a new lens? Tall or thin?
Eric_Shea
Shows the pattern best...
Eric_Shea
Does anyone have a spare one of these?
jasons
FWIW, I have some in amber...
Eric_Shea
Are you selling them?
jasons
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 25 2005, 09:44 AM)
Are you selling them?

Sorry, I'm saving them for my next car.
Eric_Shea
No Problemo... I was thinking they'd look nice on my 911.

Anywhoooo... no takers on the lens info? (Bowlsby must still be hungover from WCC...) biggrin.gif
davep
Eric, I'm sure to have some spare clips.
Are some lenses maked TN1 and others TN2? Then also TN4 of course.

Are the amber lenses marked with a TN #? Photos?

I'll have to find time to check all my lenses now. I do have a new lens also.
As to the years and models of application, I don't know. Never saw any info on that anywhere.
Eric_Shea
Are some lenses maked TN1 and others TN2?

Nope... at least not what I have here. The tall one says TN1 - TN2 on it. The thin one simply has TN4. The insides of all my lamps say TN4.

This leads me to wonder if the TN1 - TN2 tall lens is what they sell "now". It seems as though it's the same lens they used on the early Mercedes bumper and grill mounted lights (maybe those were the TN1 and TN2 bodies). Once all the TN4 lenses disappeared they simply started using the TN1 - TN2 replacement? confused24.gif
Rgreen914
Eric

My car is not handy, it stays at the mother-in-law's, but those "bi-fluted" lenses you show in the picture sure look like the lenses on my European halogen fog lights; I bought them a long time ago but I think I'm using 100 watt, H-3 bulbs in them.

Ron
72914S
Anyone know where to get the amber lenses? I would like to change mine.
Eric_Shea
You can buy entire amber assemblies probably cheaper than you can get the lenses. I was Googling yesterday and found some VW shops on eBay selling them for $59-$69 a pair new.

Hella 500 (clear or amber) (those are probably too big for the stock location)

H3 Amber (these should be the right size but not Hella... if that matters to you)
jasons
I can't remember what I paid for my amber lens' but I got them on ebay a long time ago. Like 5 or 6 years ago before ebay was the ugly monster it is today. I think I stole them at around $50 maybe even less. They are "as new", there are no pits or scratches whatsoever on them.

You can probably also find those Scotch stick on lens protectors in amber that will fit the factory lens'. I know bavarianautosport sells them for BMW's and they would probably fit our fogs. You just stick them on your factory lens and they will protect them from stones and pitting.
Ferg
QUOTE (72914S @ Apr 26 2005, 03:36 AM)
Anyone know where to get the amber lenses? I would like to change mine.

You can make them, i have two sets one set i bought off of ebay years ago, they were advertised as orig equipment, and when they came, they say "made in japan" dry.gif

So what I did was buy this, in yellow

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

and a set of new hella lenses, sprayed the backside (inside) of the new lenses and viola! I was more than happy with the results, the color looks "right" and heat has been no problem.
Not one person has asked how I did it, everyone thinks they are real wink.gif till now huh.gif

here's the only shot i have at work...
jasons
QUOTE (Ferg @ Apr 26 2005, 07:36 AM)
one set i bought off of ebay years ago, they were advertised as orig equipment, and when they came, they say "made in japan"

Interesting, mine are Hellas forshur.

"Is that a Mexican Poncho or is that a Sears Poncho?"

For any yall Zappa fans...
Eric_Shea
So Mike... which color, the orange or the yellow? Need those "apricot" fogs... wink.gif

"Come'on Frenchie"
jasons
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 26 2005, 12:04 PM)

"Come'on Frenchie"

Yeah, I knew someone would step up. "Not a speck of cereal" on this forum!

Eric_Shea
So what I did was buy this, in yellow

I'll learn to read some day... wacko.gif

...until then me and my pigmy pony (he's about this tall) will be raising my lonely dental floss. biggrin.gif
anderssj
. . . that's why I'm movin' to Montana . . . .

Eric, let me look in my parts box and see if I have a lamp clip.

Steve A-
GWN7

It's interesting that his thread came up. I started to make a mold to make new lenses on Thursday. I will be having the prototypes field tested to see how they stand up (and can do them in several colors)

So there are 3 types of lenses?
Eric_Shea
I can vouch for two...
anderssj
Re-posted from another topic (thanks for the suggestion Eric):

--------------------

Discovered one of my old notebooks in the garage the other night, in it I found a couple of sheets from an old 914 parts book (dated 9/71) detailing PNs for various 914 aux lights:

914.631.131.10 - Main beam [driving] lamp, H3, white, complete, w/o bulb

914.631.132.10 - Main beam [driving] lamp, H3, yellow, complete, w/o bulb, for France

914.631.133.10 - Main beam [driving] lamp, H3, white, complete, w/o bulb, for Italy

914.631.134.11 - Additional fog lamp, white, complete, w/o bulb, for USA (uses 35w bulb, 900.631.130.90)

914.631.136.10 - Fog lamp, H3, white, complete, not for Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, USA, w/o bulb

914.631.137.10 - Fog lamp, H3, yellow, complete, w/o bulb, for France

914.631.138.10 - Fog lamp, H3, white, complete, w/o bulb, for Italy

Not sure how/why they're different--could be combination of lens type and whether or not a bulb shield was fitted.

Here are the replacement lens numbers:

914.631.913.11 - Lens, white, for additional fog lamp, USA

914.631.922.10 - Lens, white, H3 and H1, for main beam [driving] lamp

914.631.930.10 - Lens, yellow, for main beam [driving] lamp, H3

914.631.952.10 - Lens, white, for fog lamp, Germany and Italy

I also found a Hella catalog from about the same time period. They listed the 914.631.131.10 main beam [driving] lamp as Hella PN 65085. Replacement lens/reflector ass'y was Hella PN 67175.

Eric, the PN for the lamp clip is 914.631.961.10. PM me if you still need one . . . .

Best,

Steve A-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.