Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring Enduro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I couldn't find the sign up PDF for the Enduro on the website ( http://ssccmedford.org/default.aspx ) but did get it by email.

So if you want the entry form PM me with your email address and I'll foward the PDF to you.

Great event.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 22 2012, 01:05 PM) *

I couldn't find the sign up PDF for the Enduro on the website (http://ssccmedford.org/default.aspx) but did get it by email.

So if you want the entry form PM me with your email address and I'll foward the PDF to you.

Great event.

Received my acceptance for the Medford Enduro. Now to get some new tires!

Anyone near Medford that plans on going?
Randal
Well got two good takeoffs, so I can put them on opposite corners and the car will work half the time. biggrin.gif

New canti's would be even better, the ultimate trick being a set of Avons bias plys with new wheels, but budgets are budgets and the fast times will have to wait until later.

We'll see if I can get in front of a few of those power crazy hill climb boys and girls.

Pray for warm weather as I don't want to be driving over the Siskiyou Pass in the snow. I have zero experience taking a trailer down a big hill in the snow. blink.gif
SirAndy
I so would go with you, but my car is nowhere near ready ...
sad.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2012, 09:58 PM) *

I so would go with you, but my car is nowhere near ready ...
sad.gif

Sure would be a bunch more fun having you up there. So what have your done to the machine Andy; 915/930 or ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 20 2012, 08:06 AM) *
Sure would be a bunch more fun having you up there. So what have your done to the machine Andy; 915/930 or ?

I wish ... I haven't done much at all, barely have any time these days.

I added Boxster calipers front/rear. At least i got that out of the way.

I still need to get the 915 ready. Adding a TB Diff and cable shifter setup. But at my current pace, that won't happen this year.
blink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2012, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 20 2012, 08:06 AM) *

I wish ... I haven't done much at all, barely have any time these days.

I added Boxster calipers front/rear. At least i got that out of the way.

I still need to get the 915 ready. Adding a TB Diff and cable shifter setup. But at my current pace, that won't happen this year.
blink.gif

Boxster calipers - Cool.

When you get those calipers on you might want to find an autox venue and really put the car through a stress test. Bigger calipers are wonderful, but you want to know what they do in heavy load situations, with the car weighted, unweighted, sideways, etc. I know it was an eye opener blink.gif for me when I switched things all around.

Once you figure out what the brakes are going to do you can easily "dial-in" manners with different compound pads.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 21 2012, 09:46 AM) *
When you get those calipers on you might want to find an autox venue and really put the car through a stress test.

That's the plan. biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2012, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 21 2012, 09:46 AM) *
When you get those calipers on you might want to find an autox venue and really put the car through a stress test.

That's the plan. biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

driving.gif

Nice bunch of posting there Andy. Thanks for that and others you have done, i.e., I used the information you posted to put together the necessary stuff to convert my CV's to the 944 turbo type.
J P Stein
Had a couple inches of snow here last night. Other than that the weather is great. rolleyes.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 22 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Had a couple inches of snow here last night. Other than that the weather is great. rolleyes.gif

Checked the 10 day forecast and it doesn't look all that good. Cold and rain.

We run at the Marina in the cold all the time, but wet isn't much fun in my car.

As much as I'd like to run the event, got to admit that I'm a bit on the fence concerning the weather.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 22 2012, 09:13 AM) *

We run at the Marina in the cold all the time, but wet isn't much fun in my car.

As much as I'd like to run the event, got to admit that I'm a bit on the fence concerning the weather.

My level of interest peaked today when I got two great take off from John Berget. Thank you John! Looks like I will buy couple of new canti's from Brandon at Roger Kraus, so will have good rubber all around. Not Avons, but we'll save that speed trick for later.

Hey maybe it will clear up enough on Sunday to run the event. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2012, 04:20 PM) *

My level of interest peaked today when I got two great take off from John Berget. Thank you John! Looks like I will buy couple of new canti's from Brandon at Roger Kraus, so will have good rubber all around. Not Avons, but we'll save that speed trick for later.

You're better off with cantis as you will need to completely change suspension setup with Avons and that will take time to work out.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 23 2012, 09:08 PM) *

You're better off with cantis as you will need to completely change suspension setup with Avons and that will take time to work out.

Switching to Avon's is an expensive deal. New tires and wheels, say about $3,000 minimum. Actually the Avon's don't require that much suspension readjustment, given they are bias ply, unlike A6's which require an entirely different set up. It'd be nice to have a nice soft compound with the right sized wheels and tires, again based upon arithmetic from the existing weight balance. All in all it'll be worth some time. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2012, 09:14 PM) *

Switching to Avon's is an expensive deal. New tires and wheels, say about $3,000 minimum. Actually the Avon's don't require that much suspension readjustment, given they are bias ply, unlike A6's which require an entirely different set up. It'd be nice to have a nice soft compound with the right sized wheels and tires, again based upon arithmetic from the existing weight balance. All in all it'll be worth some time. smile.gif

Avons while bias plys are totally differnt tire than old school canti. They will require differnt spring rates as well as alignment from what you run with your canti setup. I went from canti to Avons on the Boxster. I changed setup signficantly. You would likely see improvement over cantis regardless as they grip better when cold. However you will want to optimize the Avon setup to your car. They do like more negative camber than cantis do.

Frankly I like Hoosier radials better than Avons. Avons have very limited application. They are awesome cold weather tire but they fall off worse than A6 if they get hot. Guess you could go with differnt compound than a15.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 25 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Avons while bias plys are totally differnt tire than old school canti. They will require differnt spring rates as well as alignment from what you run with your canti setup. I went from canti to Avons on the Boxster. I changed setup signficantly. You would likely see improvement over cantis regardless as they grip better when cold. However you will want to optimize the Avon setup to your car. They do like more negative camber than cantis do.

Frankly I like Hoosier radials better than Avons. Avons have very limited application. They are awesome cold weather tire but they fall off worse than A6 if they get hot. Guess you could go with differnt compound than a15.

So what exactly did you change, i.e., springs /camber / toe to get the Avons to work after the canti's?
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 25 2012, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 25 2012, 07:17 PM) *

So what exactly did you change, i.e., springs /camber / toe to get the Avons to work after the canti's?

Upped rear spring rate, more negative camber, little bit of toe out up front. Adjusted rear bar setting to be less firm, I cant remeber what we did with shock settings but they changed too.

Funny thing about A6's is that while they love tons of -camber and slightly softer spring rates they still seem to perform well with less than optimal settings. The Avons were very picky about settings and would wear real funky if I didnt have everything just perfect.
Randal

The weather is still very iffy. Looks like Friday and Saturday will be pretty wet, i.e., 70% chance of rain, but the Sunday forecast is for showers.

Don't mind racing in the cold, but not sure wet conditions are worth a 800 mile trip. mad.gif

Randal

I baggged Medford as the weather was terrible, or enough so to make a 800 mile run not quite worth it.

Anyway, went down to an SCCA event at the Marina today. Short course, but fun.

New tires are nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2EZD8-EUg...eature=youtu.be

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 1 2012, 09:06 PM) *

I baggged Medford as the weather was terrible, or enough so to make a 800 mile run not quite worth it.

New tires are nice.

Nice run! I think you have best sorted 914 I've ever seen!
grantsfo

New tires are nice.

You apparently missed out on gully washer with LPR the day before! LOL! Much better choice going to SCCA on nice sunny day!

The local SCCA drivers/cars are brutal. Nice lightweight XP 914 racer on slicks cant even break into top 20 times with them? They need to create an "Antique" racer class for poor little underpowered creaky 914's. Andy's big heavy and wide RX7 appears to have man handled XP. You need a blower on that motor of yours and then you need some real tires and suspension. Then you might get within a second of Andy. happy11.gif

http://www.sfr-solo.org/solo2/Results/2012...ip/round04.html

In all seriousness the car looks like its turning very well. At least you have that piece nailed. I dont think you will over come the HP deficit anytime soon. Whats your car making to the wheels these days? 150 WHP? Your only 250 WHP down on Andy. Your driving equivlent of a mid engine miata in a montster class. The new generation of X Prepared class cars just rock the HP scales.

I'd love to see a well built smaller displacement GP legal motor stuffed in your car. Then you could go hunt easier comptition like old MG's and Fiats with little 1.3 and 1.5 liter motors.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 2 2012, 11:22 AM) *

New tires are nice.

You apparently missed out on gully washer with LPR the day before! LOL! Much better choice going to SCCA on nice sunny day!

The local SCCA drivers/cars are brutal. Nice lightweight XP 914 racer on slicks cant even break into top 20 times with them? They need to create an "Antique" racer class for poor little underpowered creaky 914's. Andy's big heavy and wide RX7 appears to have man handled XP. You need a blower on that motor of yours and then you need some real tires and suspension. Then you might get within a second of Andy. happy11.gif

In all seriousness the car looks like its turning very well. At least you have that piece nailed. I dont think you will over come the HP deficit anytime soon. Whats your car making to the wheels these days? 150 WHP? Your only 250 WHP down on Andy. Your driving equivlent of a mid engine miata in a montster class. The new generation of X Prepared class cars just rock the HP scales.

I'd love to see a well built smaller displacement GP legal motor stuffed in your car. Then you could go hunt easier comptition like old MG's and Fiats with little 1.3 and 1.5 liter motors.

The video run was a 37.1, so picked up a bit by the sixth run. Car was good for a low to mid 36, which would still be a second and one half off Andy's time.

Ha, not driving for 4 months sure doesn't help. My first four runs were pretty bad. Need to make more events.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 2 2012, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 2 2012, 11:22 AM) *

New tires are nice.

The video run was a 37.1, so picked up a bit by the sixth run. Car was good for a low to mid 36, which would still be a second and one half off Andy's time.

Ha, not driving for 4 months sure doesn't help. My first four runs were pretty bad. Need to make more events.

You're lucky it was short and mostly turny. But I do applaud you running with fast guys! That's only way to get faster. It will be interesting to see Andy go against Zust in San Diego later this month.
J P Stein
The toughest part of SCCA AX is "get er' done in 3".....or 4 in the SF region.
Grant goes there all the time & kicks ass, right? av-943.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 3 2012, 09:37 AM) *

Grant goes there all the time & kicks ass, right?
Hey I beat Fraser my last event in 3. first.gif I dont think you or boy wonder in the porsche thingy can say that yet.

I run against same guys Randal does in XP because Im bored with SSM. He better beat me in XP though. He's freaking 1500 lbs lighter with similar power to weight ratio! Wont it be embarrassing if Randal loses to a 3200 lb ricer that has full interior, 8 speaker stereo, AC, eletcric windows, cruise control that is driven to events in 100% street legal condition? And with butt slow me at the wheel "ROFL" Well its sort of same story for anyone who choses to AX a 914 these days they just aint too fast against more modern high tech cars with ABS, traction control, antiskid control, synchro rev, sohphisticated ECU, smat diffs, luanch control, anti dive suspension etc. They really need a "special" class for 914's. You know when people see 914 and they will say oh thats the ...."special" ...class. bootyshake.gif
grantsfo
I like this quote from another forum from the fast XP car that won that SCCA event.. Dang man he put time on 914 and wasnt even on power.

"-As a higher power RWD car that is slightly oversized, only getting to full throttle less than 1 second for the entire run was a bit frustrating"
Randal

UFO on the 15th.

Looking for some more seat time. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 4 2012, 06:58 AM) *

UFO on the 15th.

Looking for some more seat time. biggrin.gif

I'm brining scales! Lol!
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 3 2012, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 3 2012, 09:37 AM) *

Grant goes there all the time & kicks ass, right?
Hey I beat Fraser my last event in 3. first.gif I dont think you or boy wonder in the porsche thingy can say that yet.

I run against same guys Randal does in XP because Im bored with SSM. He better beat me in XP though. He's freaking 1500 lbs lighter with similar power to weight ratio! Wont it be embarrassing if Randal loses to a 3200 lb ricer that has full interior, 8 speaker stereo, AC, eletcric windows, cruise control that is driven to events in 100% street legal condition? And with butt slow me at the wheel "ROFL" Well its sort of same story for anyone who choses to AX a 914 these days they just aint too fast against more modern high tech cars with ABS, traction control, antiskid control, synchro rev, sohphisticated ECU, smat diffs, luanch control, anti dive suspension etc. They really need a "special" class for 914's. You know when people see 914 and they will say oh thats the ...."special" ...class. bootyshake.gif

Well no embarrassment on my part, little OLD 222 did OK. Ended up with a 50.927 which was OK for a tough course. Think Mr. Dave D., in his well driven 3.6 race car got me with an 50.875, or something like that, but will have to see the final times.

Change up course for sure. Totally blew my 3rd run when, after talking to Bill Charron, decided to shift into third on this very twisty straight. So I followed Bill's (GOOD!) advice and when I got to the end and turned left heading for the next corner, literally drove off the course; going WAY TO FAST. So the next run I downshifted at the end of this twisty straight and then upshifted through the next bit.

It was tough to get this course down in 4 four runs.

Grant had problems with his ECU program ("high tech solution") and I (seriously) hope he got home OK. Dialing in any car is something everyone under estimates. icon8.gif

Grant's car, sorted out, should be good up at Hoopa where there are plenty of straights. Unfortunately (according to Grant) he will not be running Cascade which is a more traditional hillclimb. But hopefully the boys from Canada will show up at Hoopa, with their SC Mustang, and let the games begin.

Competition is so much fun. flag.gif
grantsfo
Thanks for tow offer Randal! I unhooked battery and the ECU did reset and I regained throttle again. It was just a bug with ECU programming . I'm working with Stillen to get more power from their CARB legal tune so we are trying differnt tunes. Clearly something got confused at aucutocross. I thought I had fuel pump going out as car was cutting out during full acceleration. I ran a 52 something with car cutting out my first real run. Second run car died out on track and I had to idle in.

Your car looked good but still underpowered Randal. Thats a big handicap in XP. Sort of like me driving a street car in the class. I'm surprised big fat EVO with an average driver beat all lightweight 914s on that very narrow course with so many gates. He usually gets beaten by couple of seconds by other fast Subi and Evo guys who were down in Buttonwillow yesterday with AAS at their enduro. Suspect we would have seen sub 50 seconds if they had shown up.

I was hoping to do better with all the fast guys away yesterday! Dang it! I do have some fun plans for the car. Planning to pull 300 lbs out of it prior to Hoopa and will up boost to make nearly 500 hp. I'm making 400 now. It handles better than most American made cars so it should do well. As it sits it will do 12 second quarter miles so it is fairly quick. I will run Over street prepared which should have some other fast cars. Pretty much unlimited cars with dot r tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.