Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tracks914
I have, in the past, experimented with exhaust systems for various vehicles and bikes. Most of the time it was to take someone elses ideas and make them work on my project. Has anyone tried this with a type IV?
I have 2 original type exhausts and even thought of modifying one of them for a deeper sound or better air flow. What have you done that I can learn from? (besides go out and buy a bursch)
Brad Roberts
We are pretty lame when it comes to custom exhaust work. I spent two years farting around with mufflers and the such (the company who made all the stainless heat exchangers for the 914's) and we had a muffler that had access panels built into it. We had baffle plates (4 of them) in the muffler. Each plate had 100 or so threaded holes. We would add or remove little allen bolts to those holes to produce the back pressure and sound that we wanted. It was a painstaking task... but it worked. Once we found the proper combo we would stamp out new baffle plates with the number of holes we had left over after installing X number of screws.

B
Aaron Cox
im doing a setup like this for a 4
736conver
Is anybody interested in this type muffler. It is SS and is two in two out. Weighs about 14lbs. Designed for a 6 but it should sound pretty decent for a 4. No sound bites for a 4 but if your interested send me an email and I can send a sound bite on a six. It is for sale and orders are being taken. Has a nice throaty sound too it. Already have many happy customers.
$300
736conver
comparsion to bannana
Andyrew
Send me the sound bite... im just curious how it sounds. I have some "idea's" for my v8 sound.. adalen@pacbell.net

Oh you guys might like this... Im planning on buying the new corvette mufflers... I love the sound of a corvette, and it should be just loud enough with the headers straight to the stock mufflers (oh ya... quad tip....)
736conver
I sent you the clip. Tell me how it sounds. I think it sounds sweet.
JWest
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 28 2004, 12:47 AM)
Oh you guys might like this... Im planning on buying the new corvette mufflers... I love the sound of a corvette, and it should be just loud enough with the headers straight to the stock mufflers (oh ya... quad tip....)

FYI, they'll be a lot louder than a Vette without cats in the system.
tracks914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2004, 05:20 PM)
We are pretty lame when it comes to custom exhaust work. I spent two years farting around with mufflers and the such (the company who made all the stainless heat exchangers for the 914's)

B

Brad:
What engine types did you try them on? I am looking for a throaty sound with a bit better air flow than stock. I was told the Bursch are too quiet (street model) or too loud (off road model) but I have never really heard either of them.
I have the shop, materials and time to build over the winter (8 months of winter up here biggrin.gif ) and just thought I would see who has done what and can I improve upon it?
tracks914
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 27 2004, 05:22 PM)
im doing a setup like this for a 4

Is this your muffler?
The muffler looks home made, is it?
How did you baffle it?
Aaron Cox
its a dual in dual out flowmaster/dynomax/magnaflow crossflow muffler.
BIGKAT_83
These people sell tubing bends and collectors and mufflers.
I've seen some of the collectors and they are works of art.

Bob.

www.burnsstainless.com
736conver
Doug,

I sent you the sound bite. Tell me what you think.

Brian
tracks914
OOOO AAAAh I really really like it. Smooth and no popping tinney sound. clap56.gif
How, oh how, would it sound an a 1.7. wink.gif
You sould put a link to it on this post so others can enjoy it as much a I did. I played over again to to smile.
TimT
I didnt make the actual mufflers ( got them from Coast Fabrication)

I just made up the cross over pipe

This system is kinda loud, I doubt Ill pass sound at Lime Rock
nsyr
Anybody have a Boxster type muffler on their car? I really like the exhaust tip in the middle.
736conver
Here's the link to the muffler. If anyone is interested in it orders are being taken.

http://home.centurytel.net/picsofsort/HPIM0109.AVI
seanery
that sounds sweet!

what engine was that? SC?
charlesmac
A couple of years back, a friend of mine took a D&D exhaust canister from a honda CBR600f2, got some tubing bent to come out of the header and tuck it under the fender of his 67 bug. It wasn't real loud while cruising, but man did it wake up when you stepped on it. Awesome deep throaty sound!! The engine was a 1776 by the way.

charles
736conver
Yes that was a 3.0. Sounds just as good on a 2.7.
JWest
QUOTE(nsyr @ Aug 28 2004, 10:37 AM)
Anybody have a Boxster type muffler on their car? I really like the exhaust tip in the middle.

The Alien (rich918s) has a center exit.
thesey914
That sounded really mellow + smooth. wub.gif
seanery
Brian,
Are these a group buy?
or are they "Now Taking Orders"?

I'll want one, but don't need it for quite a while.
Andyrew
Brian
I liked the sound, it just wasnt loud enough for me. Nice tone though!
I think it could have been more throaty with less chambers and a resinator/glasspack somewhere..

Just my thoughts.

Andrew
736conver
This is not a group buy. We have started making these already. Right now were back ordered by about 5 people. With other people waiting in the wings. We should be caught up in a week or two. It is a first come first serve basis. Mufflers are sent out as people pay, in the order they paid.
tracks914
Just saw this on Ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33631
RON S.
Aaron,
Not wanting to rain on anyones parade,but I can't help but notice that your muffler looks identical to the one sold by some guys outa New Jersey.Their website is InstantG's and they specialize in early 911 conversions to 3.6 power.
Same muffler,with the same B&B flanges,except,they want about $700.00 for their muff.You say $300.00 for yours,thats a big difference.
I looked at it for my install in my 3.6 6r.
How about some under car pics to see the chassis fit?
Are yours only gonna be setup for B & B headers,or do you have standard flanges,How about tips that come out like the Dansk unit?
Just some quextions.
Ron
736conver
Ron,

Aaron is not selling his muffler.
I'm the one selling mufflers.

Brian
maf914
Brian,

Your muffler reminds me of the stainless steel muffler sold by Mittlemotor in Germany. It has a single outlet instead of duals. I have one and the sound is similar to the sound in your video. Any connection between the two?

Good luck with this effort. A SS muffler should be popular.
RON S.
Sorry Brian,
No offense,I got it bass-ackwards reading all the posts.
It's a great endeaver,cost seems very reasonable.
Jus'wanna see sum fitment pics.
Ron
Maybe this link to instantG will work

Instant G Dual-In-Dual-Out
Demick
Brian

Ron asked some very good questions - but you did not answer them.

You keep talking about using this muffler on a 4 cyl car, but do not give any indication on how to actually put it on. The muffler in the pictures has flanges for a six. Is the muffler offered with flanges that fit a 4 cyl car (and if so, there are 3 different styles: '70-'74 1.7 and 1.8, '73-'74 2.0, and '75-'76 cars). Or are the mufflers that you are selling exactly like the pictures - which means putting headers on a 4 cyl car to make it fit - and in that case, you should specify what style of headers it is made to fit.

Also, the picture showing the muffler on the car is clearly different from the picture showing the muffler on the floor (exhaust tips very different). What exactly are you selling?

These are just questions that any 4 cyl car owner interested in this needs to know.

Demick
736conver
Demick,

If you look at my first post you'll see I said these were designed for a six. I said they should sound decent on a 4.
I think Ron is looking for a six muffler also. Not sure I just saw the number under his avatar and in his signature.
Again this were designed for a six. 4cyl would have to make some header changes.
I will try to get some pictures for fitament under the car.

Sorry for any confusion
Demick
Brian

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected that was the case. But I saw a bunch of -4 owners getting excited about this muffler for their cars and wanted them to know exactly what the situation is.

By the way, if you could have the flanges changed to fit 4-cyl cars (esp '73-'74 2.0) I think you could sell a lot of these at $300 each.

Demick
736conver
That is something were looking into right now. We will also need a "test subject" who can record sound for us.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(736conver @ Aug 30 2004, 10:07 AM)
That is something were looking into right now. We will also need a "test subject" who can record sound for us.

ill step up for the beta test.
can record digital sound too clap56.gif
seanery
Brian,
If you make it down for the FFC, we can put a 4 cylinder version on whitey. It's got a Triad on it now. It would be a good comparison.

I do want one for bluecar, though.
736conver
I going to try the best I can to go to the FCC. I figure I would register to convince the wife even more. Well see.
RON S.
Brian,
I indeed will be shopping for a muff for my 6r sometime this year.
I'm curious about the fitment,cause I've already experimented with a couple mufflers.
The banana type is ok,fits as it should.No performance sound there,and single outlet.
I have a used B & B unit.The oval unit would be a lotta work to make it look like a nice fit.It came off a 911.It's tight against the valance.
Yours looks like it maybe a nice fit.What brand is the muff,or do you make the complete unit yourself?I like the type of tip in the pic,straight out the back.Ala"the Dansk unit"
My main reason for a pic of the muff installed,chassis shot is that my car has a 915 box and I like to get a feel for what I'd be in for if I would take the gamble.

How about a pic.

Ron
736conver
Ron,

These were handcrafted by another 911/914-6 owner. Unfornutely the only 914 that this was in was sold recently. I will try and get a picture from the new owner though. I will also talk to the maker of these and find out more fitament details.

Brian
RON S.
Thanks Brian,
It is a really nice lookin piece,
I've looked at several units out there,and @ $300.00,it's a baragin to me.Even if the unit came to me only tacked together,and I'd finish tig'n it up.

Good part.
Ron
PAPERBOY
Brian,

I'd be a test case for a 4. I've got a '74 2.0, stock h/e's Bursch exhaust. I live in Waukesha county(New Berlin). I agree, you could sell a bunch of these for 4's. Let me know if you still need someone to try it out on, no problem recording the sound.

Jay
Mueller
at least for the /4's*, recording the sound is okay, but to me it's useless unless you can do a sound comparison back to back...........also, do you have access to measure the dB levels? (which again would need to have a comparison to help)

*/6 motors always sound awesome, it does not matter what muffler is installed smile.gif
736conver
Jay,

I sent you a PM. I am just down the road from you.

Brian
736conver
I sent Sean a PM. I might be able to send one of these down to the FCC even if I cant make it.
IronHillRestorations
Any thoughts about a dyno test?

I realize 914'ers tend to be the, um, er, thrifty end of the Porsche spectrum. So $300 is in the right price range.

My personal preference would be performance first and sound second. I'm one of those oddballs that does not like Bursch (headers or "mufflers"), and prefers the sound and performance factory style mufflers. Not to big of a fan of loud exhausts.

PK cool.gif
736conver
Just an update for the 4 poppers out there. It will take some time to develop.
Its going to be hard to keep them in this price range with the flanges. I will update everyone when a 4 gets developed.
MartyYeoman
I like the packaging of using a Flowmaster cross-flow for a 914-4 application. However, the question I have is: How is the crossflow accomplished within the Flowmaster muffler (42582 I presume). The firing order of a 4 cyl is 1-4-3-2. This means that first one head fires both cylinders then the other (alternating back and forth). Without communication between the two wouldn't the exhaust also alternate between sides? Has anyone looked into this?
Demick
When I did my muffler, I looked into using one of these 2 in 2 out flowmasters much like the picture Aaron shows on page 1 of this thread. Problem was that the muffler was too long to fit between the exhaust flanges (considering tubing bend radii and room to combine from the dual pipe exhaust flanges of the heat exchangers, etc). I would have had to go from the exhaust flanges 90 degrees outward, and then 180 degrees back inward to the muffler inlets. That was too much work. Much easier to just weld on a regular 40 series onto the 4-1 collector. But of course with this, you don't get the dual muffler outlets.

Demick
Aaron Cox
ahhh grasshoppa,

this dynomax muffler is small enuff to fit between both flanges of the heat exchangers biggrin.gif
this would also require a little u bend too. the bursch exhaust already has 90 to 180 degree bends in your picture. my drawing isnt done yet...just to give you an idea. also. my current bursch already has 2.25 inch tubing, seems very doable to me biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
the flowmaster's case is 2" bigger and overall 3.5" longer...............too big wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.