Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
microsa
O.K. I'm getting ready to do the 5 lug conversion on YellowDog. I have a 68 SC front end and I am going to re-drill the rear hubs. The question is what do you that have done this recommend; press in studs or bolts? If studs, where did you source them and if bolts, how long? I have a set of BBS style wheels that came off a 68 SC 'I think'. Also if I go with studs, will I need to machine a 'flat' on the back side of the hub so they seat?
Cap'n Krusty
Studs. Yes, a flat. Not enough meat on the hubs to get more than a couple of threads, and you need at least 14mm of them. I got studs from Performance Products last time I needed them, but they were extra long. Perhaps some of the usual USED sources might have them. You need the thickness of the hub, plus the thickness of the wheel at the bottom of the ball seat, the thickness of the lugnut (approx 14mm), and a few threads beyond that. The Cap'n
Jeroen
'68 SC???

SC's were '78 through '83

So whadda ya got? '68 or SC
microsa
I'm no place close to a 911 expert. 68 is what I was told they are from. Can anyone give me some visual clues to look for? I have entire front end from the donor car.
Thanks
736conver
Call GPR and get some Verbus studs. Nice quality and cheap. Or maybe HPH has them.
Cap'n Krusty
'68? See the current thread about that. You don't really want to install a '68 front end in a 914. You will have to use the whole front end, and it's a downgrade, practically speaking, from what you have. The Cap'n
microsa
About all I can say right now is that the Bilstine inserts that were put on YellowDog a few months back fit the 911 struts that I have, they are five lug and have cast iron calipers. Can anyone provide some numbers that might be cast on the steering rack of calipers that might shed som light on the exact year of the parts we have?
microsa
Here is a quick pic of the 911 stuff. Can anyone tell what year they might be from by this picture?
Mike
Cap'n Krusty
SC. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
OOPS! Sorry! Not SC, but somethong in the mid 70s. Has the mounts for the early bar, but the largish calipers. SCs have the bar below the A-arms. The Cap'n
microsa
Soooooo, will it work on the 914 or did we get sold a Bum Stear?
Jeroen
As far as I can tell, that's prolly '69 through '73

The swaybar mounting tabs on the a-arms are a give away for "through body" style swaybars which were only used up to 1973 (although some one may have added them to use after market swaybars)

The steel crossmember means pre SC *I think*
IIRC the SC and 3.2 Carrera came with an aluminium x-member (but I could be wrong in that they were only used on 3.2s)

You could measure the spacing of the caliper mounting bolts. If it's 3" it's pre SC struts, if it's 3.5" it's SC or later...

The mounting carriers on the front of the a-arms are '69 and on, so at least you don't have the real early (SWB) stuff

This should bolt up just fine...

cheers,

Jeroen
microsa
The rear stub axles and calipers are in the foregroung. Any chance they can be used?
anthony
Just order the redrilled hubs/studs from GPR. If you ask they will press them in for you for free (they did for me). You send them your core rear hubs and they credit you the core charge.
microsa
Anthony, do you remember how much they were? They don't list them on their web site. I can do mine for free, but if I can get them done with the correct studs installed it might be worth it.
lagunero
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 27 2004, 06:04 PM)
Just order the redrilled hubs/studs from GPR.

Or look here in Product Resources for redrilled rear hubs. I bought some for Eric Shea and I must say they are extremely well made.
anthony
I can't remember how much but the hubs weren't the expensive part of the project. It's all the little stuff that adds up (brakes hoses, pads, rotors, bearings, etc).
RAR
SC has aluminum I beam crossmember. May have started a little earlier. The 911S (early 70's) had 3.5" caliper spacing.
On the rear, the early911 (same as 914-6 I believe) hub and CV is splined same as the 914-4 axle. Save the rear parts, as with parts from the 944 you can do the entire rear to five lug, brakes too I believe. My memory is a little vague on the exact combination.
736conver
GPR charges around $75 to have them redrilled. Or they have the complete kit for $325.
stromberg.gif !.asp?http://www.gprparts.com/item.wws?cookieID=788295924&sku=914352916kit&mfr=GPR" target="_blank">http://www.gprparts.com/brands/gpr5LugKit/...2916kit&mfr=GPR
Eric Shea also has them for $425 but thats a complete bolt. A better deal then GPR too.
Cap'n Krusty
IRRC, the splines are different, so you'll need 914/4 stubs redrilled, or 914/6 stubs and hubs. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
That's an earlier front end (steel bar and through body mount) and it looks like those may be S-calipers. You may be a very lucky man... The Cap'n is getting a little far-sighted ever since he got "Hitched". blink.gif w00t.gif He's spot on with the spline difference in the rear.

If you price out everything in the GPR kit the hubs are $129.00 (meaning back out the cost of the bearings and rotors).

I should have a couple complete bolt on sets ($425) done soon. I'm waiting on a couple of hub pairs before I go "machining" That being the case I should have a couple sets of 5-lug hubs as well ($125).
Mueller
Eric,

does your $125 price include new studs? What length? Do you do your neat little welded on spacer trick on all of them??
microsa
Mike,
What little welded on spacer trick? Oh and Eric, how can I tell if they are S calipers? They are steel, not alum...just painted silver.
Mike Allen
Mueller
S calipers are alum.

Erics 5-lug stuff
Eric_Shea
It includes stock studs 45-50mm depending on how you measure them, and they do include the spacers. The machine shop may want to charge more next time through. Spacers take a lot of time.

They are steel, not alum...just painted silver.

You have M-calipers then "unless" the mounting holes are 3.5" on center. If they are then you have A-calipers and a whole bunch of parts thrown together, like a steel bar from an early car, a-arms from an early car, struts from an S, SC or S-optioned car and A-calipers from an SC.

You're basically moving up to 5-lug, 18.8mm t-bars, vented rotors and M-calipers. I like that front end because it's basically a 914-6 front end. Bolts right on. It works well with stock rear calipers on 914-6 rotors with the proportioning valve taken out. It's not heavily sprung which is another plus in my book. I like to use the sway bar and a good set of shocks to make the front end perform.
Eric_Shea
Forgot... here's a picture of a completed system.
Eric_Shea
In looking at your pictures of the rear "stuff"... did all of that come off a 911?

If so:

1. The stub axles will be useless as the Cap'n described, the splines are different from a 914 hub.

2. Those calipers will not allow an e-brake. You will need to go through drastic measures to add an e-brake with those calipers (ask me how I know or ref. the 911 e-brake thread in the Classics Section)

3. Vented rotors will not go with a stock 914 caliper unless you use spacers in the caliper. They're out there... someone is making a set. I'm looking at having a run of them made and selling rebuilt 914 calipers with my conversions so you could run vented rotors all around similar to a standard 911T from 70-72 as an example.

You could probably eBay those parts to help fund your project
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.