Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How short is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mistro
Getting a new Rennshift shortly, right James? James has agreed to shorten the shifter to accommodate the bend in my long legs. Couldn't Porsche given the same amount of leg room in a 914 as Jaguar did in my XKE?

Anyway, I measure the length of the stock shifter from where it exits the transmission hump to the end of the shaft as 10" (no knob and ignoring the bend). James and I are talking about his fabricating the new shifter at a length of 7.5" with a slight bend to the right. While James has a lot more knowledgeable here than I ever will ever have, I'd appreciate hearing from any member who has modified the shifter by shortening it as to how short it is, any other bends in the shaft and how performance was affected. Especially like to hear from all you 914ers who could also be members of the Tall Club, i.e. over 6'2'' .TIA, Michael
JWest
Decide quick - the rest of your shifter is nearly done! cool.gif

You have an XKE? I've got a '68 roadster.
mistro
James, I had an 68 XKE coupe 25+ years ago in College. Drove my Senior tuition money in my Junior year! Fastest I ever went on four wheels!

See my email to you for an update. But look, unless someone on this board comes up with something that YOU agree with, I'm sticking with the expert... you. Talk or email you early next weekend. Rgds, Michael
rick 918-S
I like the idea for shortening the length and bending the shaft to the right. I hit my leg and I'm not the tallest owner out there. I'm working on the wife. Hope she gets my subtle hints about christmas..... wink.gif
mistro
Anybody out there with a short one?
Brad Roberts
I have customers over 6'4. We heat and bend their stock stick over to compensate for the knee bend. Works great.

I really dont see how a shorter stick would help. It will leave your hand UNDER your knee. You need full/easy access to the steering wheel.

A longer stick is something I would like to see. Something that gets my hand right next to the base of the steering wheel (think Indy car)

B
scottb
i like this idea as i am 6'2 and r and 1 are on/under my leg. i think brads idea of stock/longer length but short throw would be great. hmmmm...b-day is coming up.. idea.gif

i also got rid of my console and that helped as well with room and leg postion...
JWest
All the "stock" RennShifters are stock stick height. My own car has a stick that is 1" longer to get the knob closer to the wheel.

I'm 5'11", so I don't have the knee-in-the-shifter problem.
mistro
James, Give me a day, we have the time and I'd like to get this right without you to redoing things. I'll get the new momo steering wheel on the rustbucket and see what the position of my knees and the shifter is then. Maybe Brad is right. I'll email or post tomorrow. Sept 1 is an artificial deadline, the car is still 2000 miles way. Rgds, Michael
phantom914
Just to add my worthless opinion: I am 6'5" and don't think a shorter shifter would do a bit of good, but a shorter throw would help a bit. A smaller steering wheel helps, a little better with a spacer too.

A bend in the shifter or a different base design that places the position of the shift knob a couple of inches to the right would be great.

Andrew
mistro
Andrew, At 6'5" your opinion counts a lot in the land of the giants... which is where I reside. Rgds, Michael
JWest
No problem, just lemme know!
Brad Roberts
James,

The way your stick mounts... you could easily move it over 1 inch with a fat spacer and longer bolts. It would play hell with the rubber boot... but it would help these guy's out.

B
Randal
I've always thought the shifter was higher than necessary as I keep hitting my gages that hang down from the dash.

How much can you cut off before it gets unmanageable, expecially with the 12lb springs?
Trekkor
I'm 5'9" and I am always dodging the shifter.

A bent extension that puts the knob up and out of the way sounds good to me.

KT
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 30 2004, 11:26 PM)
James,

The way your stick mounts... you could easily move it over 1 inch with a fat spacer and longer bolts. It would play hell with the rubber boot... but it would help these guy's out.

B

No need, I change the angle when I build it - you just have to ask. You are correct though, a spacer will move it over nicely.
JWest
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 30 2004, 11:34 PM)
I've always thought the shifter was higher than necessary as I keep hitting my gages that hang down from the dash.

How much can you cut off before it gets unmanageable, expecially with the 12lb springs?

Some people find the 33% unmanageable, so I can't really can't make that judgement for you.

My shifter already has 10 times the options of anything else (which makes them slow and expensive to build). I can't make every single part open for discussion unless I make the price much higher (and then it would be too much of a pain for me to bother doing anyway, and it's no picnic as it is).

The stick was made stock height because there are many complaints about the Welt short-shift with its shortened lever. Purpose-built race cars typically have the knob as close to the steering wheel as possible, for less reach and less time for hands off the wheel.

Another problem with shortening the stick is reaching 4th while strapped in harnesses. Having to lift your shoulder from the seat to shift is not a good thing.
Randal
Another problem with shortening the stick is reaching 4th while strapped in harnesses. Having to lift your shoulder from the seat to shift is not a good thing.

Good point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.