Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OR smog question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzalanka
Looking at engine options to replace my 75 2.0, wondering if anyone has experience with Oregon's DEQ/smog restrictions (other states would probably apply, too). The guy I spoke with at DEQ said that they don't do an under-the-hood check, just a mirror check of the exhaust and the usual tailpipe check.

Can I get away with an earlier 2.0 without smog ports or EGR, as long as I have a cat in my exhaust? Or will I need the stock smog pump to reduce HC/CO enough to pass?

Thx,
Michael
PDXMike

My 75 1.8 L-Jet passes no problem, but it does need to be running right. I failed the very first time, but after fixing some vacuum leaks it hasn't been an issue. No smog pump.

The test was tailpipe sniff only, and at idle. Oregon considered my car "non-catalytic converter", so the requirements for the sniff test were really liberal.

I have heard that carb'ed cars have a hard time passing.

Not that I think you're planning to downgrade to a 1.8L, but my impression of OR DEQ was that a 49-state car with good running FI passes no problem.

Mike

QUOTE(mzalanka @ Jan 23 2012, 07:22 AM) *

Looking at engine options to replace my 75 2.0, wondering if anyone has experience with Oregon's DEQ/smog restrictions (other states would probably apply, too). The guy I spoke with at DEQ said that they don't do an under-the-hood check, just a mirror check of the exhaust and the usual tailpipe check.

Can I get away with an earlier 2.0 without smog ports or EGR, as long as I have a cat in my exhaust? Or will I need the stock smog pump to reduce HC/CO enough to pass?

Thx,
Michael

mrholland2

The people of the "smoggy" states should advocate for autos over 30 years of age being exempt. That was the original intention of the law in some states, but it was changed. Since it is likely that cars over 30 years will have been substantially rebuilt, the smog requirement is pretty stupid (and I"m a big believer in reducing emissions)

Not an answer, but a conversation input.

QUOTE(PDXMike @ Jan 23 2012, 07:37 AM) *

My 75 1.8 L-Jet passes no problem, but it does need to be running right. I failed the very first time, but after fixing some vacuum leaks it hasn't been an issue. No smog pump.

The test was tailpipe sniff only, and at idle. Oregon considered my car "non-catalytic converter", so the requirements for the sniff test were really liberal.

I have heard that carb'ed cars have a hard time passing.

Not that I think you're planning to downgrade to a 1.8L, but my impression of OR DEQ was that a 49-state car with good running FI passes no problem.

Mike

QUOTE(mzalanka @ Jan 23 2012, 07:22 AM) *

Thx,
Michael

Tom_T
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jan 23 2012, 07:49 AM) *

The people of the "smoggy" states should advocate for autos over 30 years of age being exempt. That was the original intention of the law in some states, but it was changed. Since it is likely that cars over 30 years will have been substantially rebuilt, the smog requirement is pretty stupid (and I"m a big believer in reducing emissions)

agree.gif
FYI - that was where CA started - with a rolling 30 year old vehicle exemption, which was changed in 05 to stop at 75 MY cars, thanx to the overzealous types who want to see ALL old cars junked! dry.gif

Michael - you asked about other smog states, so FYI to the south of you in CA - technically the 75 & older (and prior rolling 30 year) exemptions only apply if you have the original engine & all smog equipment intact, although currently they don't have the personnel, specs, time nor funds to do so - but that will change once they "discover" it as a "revenue enhancement" (aka fines & fees for budget balancing)!

Also, in CA the seller is responsible to smog check the cat being sold if not done in the prior 6 months for registration, and anyone bringing a car into CA must show that it still has it's state of original sale when new smog controls still intact.

Also in CA if you modify a car, you can do a same year or newer set-up - and it must include all of that year's smog equipment - but if newer, then they consider you under the newer MY's smog requirements, which may eliminate your bi-annual smog check exemption (e.g.: for those doing say an 80's H-6 conversion from a 911). Do folks get away without this - yes, but they'll get snagged eventually I suspect if caught at the seller smog check point later on.

Hope this helps for one state anyway! biggrin.gif
Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.