Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to look at this ebay car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I'm going to look at this ebay car tomorrow. Is there anyone interested in it? Its a local car so I have to check it out, that's the rule here, right? cool_shades.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4&category=6430

Quote from ebay ad

1974  Porsche : 914  2.0 Liter This unit was purchased in Altlanta and driven to our home in Indiana, and painted, rebuilt so the seals, rubber gaskets, grommets, trim and interior are rebuilt. Have the full paper trail of the vehicle and it's travels, and all receipts totalling over $10,000 for the rebuild including the cost of the car........
SLITS
drooley.gif drooley.gif wub.gif Zambezi Green wub.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Sorry, to far and to much money already confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
no engine room pictures... check the hellhole, check the rockers ...
GaroldShaffer
Heading out in about 1 hr to go look. I got my screw driver, camera & magent. stay tuned.....
GaroldShaffer
OK here is the scoop on this car. I took no pics, no need too.

The good:
-Strong 2.0L motor
-Shifts fine, but seemed a little stiff (maybe that's what good bushing feel like confused24.gif )
- A lot of the rubber seals replaced in the past couple of years
- Trunks look good & solid, some surface rust in the front trunk.
- No sign of pervious body damage
-Dash is perfect

The bad:
- Rust, jakpost are solid but I can put almost my whole fist in the hole on the back side of the longs behind the posts.
-More rust, sail panel rust bubble approx 5inch circle in area just above the door handle area on the passenger side.
- Passenger door gaps about off. Door sits about a 3/8 inch below the rear fender.
- Rear trunk hinge sprung on driver side
-Front bumper has nice bent (as stated in auction & pictures)
-Front valance damaged below dent in bumper
- seats have minor rips
-Battery tray has rust but didn't look like it has gone through yet.
-Hell hole, again rust but didn't look to have gone through

This was a AA car and yes his kids drive it year round ohmy.gif
Over all I would give this car a c / c+ asking price is way high, but he is open to offers (thinking 6k ish). A good driver that needs some work.
Brad Roberts
The bad:
- Rust, jakpost are solid but I can put almost my whole fist in the hole on the back side of the longs behind the posts.
-More rust, sail panel rust bubble approx 5inch circle in area just above the door handle area on the passenger side.
- Passenger door gaps about off. Door sits about a 3/8 inch below the rear fender.

I didnt have to read any farther. You know damn well this car was rusting out BEFORE he bought it.

Parts car ..or spend 1 year replacing the frame rail yourself or pay a shop to do it for 3-4k

B
GaroldShaffer
Yep, I know. I didn't have the heart to tell him. He has sunk a lot of money in this car, BTDT myself on my old POS 73. Just had to go see it for myself. Still for this area it would be a driver, but not at 6k blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Give me his phone number... I'm not scared to tell these people that the previous owner TOOK them for a ride. MAYBE..just maybe they will be up front with the next guy and the horror stories will end.

B
Brando
what is "the hell hole" ?

does sound pretty high. I paid $500 for my '75 with light surface rust and horrible paintjob and perfect mechanical condition.
Verruckt
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 29 2004, 07:04 PM)
I paid $500 for my '75 with light surface rust and horrible paintjob and perfect mechanical condition.

You california people really irk me sometimes... headbang.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Aug 29 2004, 08:28 PM)
I paid $500 for my '75 with light surface rust and horrible paintjob and perfect mechanical condition.

Hmmmmm, a little stab from the "Heartland". Just have them pass the same environmental laws and your car won't rust either. In fact, it would be my pleasure to send you all the political cronies we have in "retirement in place" in Sacramento - they can ruin your state too! Oh BTW, no sending them back - the ticket is only good "one way".

And even closer to you is all the "rust free" classics from AA. We have Otto out here!
Joe Bob
Hell Hole is the area under the battery. Rain water mixed with battery acid eats away the tray then the sheet metal underneath then the suspension ear that holds the arm that connects to the wheel....not a good thing when that breaks....
vortrex
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 28 2004, 05:37 PM)
he is open to offers (thinking 6k ish)

I need to get out of the tech field and buy junker 914's and sell them for top dollar. are you sure the guy didn't mean $600 for the car??
GaroldShaffer
sure the guy didn't mean $600 for the car??

Nope $6k. If you didn't know what to look for you would think that it was an ok car. If he was in the $2k range I might have bought it just for the "lets strip it down & rebuild" factor. It still had a lot of solid metal, it's just the fact that his kids drive it year round and they didn't do anything to prevent the rust to start with.
Brando
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Aug 29 2004, 07:28 PM)

Hey now, don't get too irked! I'm working off the other $1700 i owe for the car tongue.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 30 2004, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Aug 29 2004, 08:28 PM)

Hmmmmm, a little stab from the "Heartland". Just have them pass the same environmental laws and your car won't rust either. In fact, it would be my pleasure to send you all the political cronies we have in "retirement in place" in Sacramento - they can ruin your state too! Oh BTW, no sending them back - the ticket is only good "one way".

And even closer to you is all the "rust free" classics from AA. We have Otto out here!

I don't think it has anything to do with all that. Its all the salt that the hiway dept puts down when it snows, and the idiot drivers who drove the cars in the snow in the first place. rolleyes.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Aug 30 2004, 03:38 PM)
I don't think it has anything to do with all that. Its all the salt that the hiway dept puts down when it snows, and the idiot drivers who drove the cars in the snow in the first place. rolleyes.gif

Salt is not allowed in CA - use volcanic pumice or gravel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.