Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PERTRONIX which one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
im done with points, should have done this swap before.....

the world wide web says different things.

1847 i got, but V or A?

they look very different. and the A looks like bus guys using it, and the V are more volvo guys.

anybody?
Thestigz06
what do you mean by A or V? confused24.gif

I run petronix ignitor ignition and i love it!
broomhandle
V:

IPB Image

A:

IPB Image
broomhandle
also, what coil are you running? i have a junk old standard. my blue ate it. and i heard a low vlt can cause problems.
Thestigz06
Ah. Yeah i run V and havent had an issue with it. Id for sure invest in it, just plug into the appropriate side of the coil or youre out however much you paid!
Thestigz06
My blue died one day for no reason and im running an autozone generic one but im considering their flame-thrower one that petronix reccomends.
Rand
Looks like V would be needed to accommodate the timing advance. Which brings up the point: Be sure the advance plates can easily move through the full range after it is installed. I had to do some filing on mine.
broomhandle
i have the autozone generic too, and i was thinking about the flame as well..... ok cool... now to find a good deal on the "V".... smile.gif
bigkensteele
V is what I have. I am also running a stock coil. I have a blue, but it is smaller in diameter, and it didn't fit into my stock bracket. Wonder if it would be worth it to fabricate an adapter?

You will not regret losing the points!
Dave_Darling
As far as I know, the "V" makes room for the vacuum advance and retard in the distributor. The "A" will work fine, but it often requires some trimming of the magnet wheel or the bottom of the distributor rotor to fit correctly.

--DD
Porschef
The square grommet of the "A" kit would fit better, but the adapter plate of the "V" fits right. I timed mine today, it was rock solid.
jt914-6
The "A" kit is for 009/050 distributors.....the "V" kit is for vacuum distributors....you don't use the middle plate on the "V" kit, just the one that screws to the dist. with the studs and the one with the module on it.
rpmmaxxed
Just so we are all on the same page, this is the ignition setup we are talkin about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-Ignitor-...=item2c539629cf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.