Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper restoration and plating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SP9146
I need to have the front and rear bumpers of my 1970 914-6 straightened and plated. Anyone know of a good shop in LA or Orange Country? Everyone tells me there are no good bumper shops in the area but I can't believe that.

The rear bumper is original with squared off license plate cut out. It's in good shape but needs minor straightening and plating.

The front bumper is a little more tweaked on the end. Most people think it can be bent back.

Is restoring a bent bumper an OK way to go or is better to find a good used one and replate? How much are good used ones (front)? Are they available new?

Pete
1970 914-6
Mueller
You might try looking in some of the "Hot Rod" type magazines for ads. "Drive" is a freebie that normally is at some of the speed shops. You could also call a few machine shops to get recommendations since they'll have jobs that require them to get the part plated or finished before handing the part to the customer.

It could end up being a part that you'll have to send out of the area to get done.
Brad Roberts
West Coast Choppers and many other Hot Rod shops send their stuff to a place up here in San Jose.

I'll get the name later today. I just had some bumpers down.. WOW.

B
JeffBowlsby
Last I checked there are only two plasters here:

Faith Plating and Superior

Environmental regs are so stringent here, no new shops are being allowed permits.
Mueller
I use Valley Plating in San Jose....I've never had a bumper done, but in the shipping-recieving area they have a nice sample bumper from some big Chevy hanging on the wall.

I was qouted about $300 (starting at, then it goes up depending on how much additional work is needed)
campbellcj
I don't think there are any (good) plating shops in LA. There used to be one down south in Huntington Beach or thereabouts but not sure anymore. I think most local body/custom shops send the stuff out of town or even out of state (AZ/NV).
Gint
These guys make the rounds to all of the American swap meets/car shows. No idea what their work looks like, but they are in L.A.

http://www.bumperboyz.com/
SP9146
The body and paint shop mentioned a place called "Christiansen" (?). They are supposed to be in LA, famous and ridiculously expensive.

The body shop is in San Juan Capistrano and they can't find a plater for themselves. From the replies and archives I can see this is going to be another "challenge"!

Is it safe to assume that platers like the one Brad mentioned in SJ can also handle the straightening part or get it done?
seanery
These guys were on 2 guys garage or My Classic Car.
I've never used them, but am considering having them do the plating on the bike

Paul's Chrome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.