Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Coilover Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seventythree
I am going to a rear coilover setup on my 73-2.0L. I have acquired the following components:

1) Koni Sport (yellow) adjustable shocks with 3 slots for spring perch cir-clip.
2) Ground Control coilover adjusters
3) 150lb Eibach springs, 2.5"ID, 10.25" free length

My question is: for close to stock ride height, will I need zero-rate helper springs to avoid unseating the main springs when the suspension is fully extended?

When I assemble all the parts, I can raise the spring perch high enough to put the spring in slight compression. But that may result in a ride height that would be way too high.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
ottox914
If you need to you can use a helper spring. Assemble and install and see where you are. I just zip tied the top of the springs to the top collar of the assembly, and have had no problems. Also running koni's but with slightly higher rate springs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(seventythree @ Jan 23 2012, 04:56 PM) *

I am going to a rear coilover setup on my 73-2.0L. I have acquired the following components:

1) Koni Sport (yellow) adjustable shocks with 3 slots for spring perch cir-clip.
2) Ground Control coilover adjusters
3) 150lb Eibach springs, 2.5"ID, 10.25" free length

My question is: for close to stock ride height, will I need zero-rate helper springs to avoid unseating the main springs when the suspension is fully extended?

When I assemble all the parts, I can raise the spring perch high enough to put the spring in slight compression. But that may result in a ride height that would be way too high.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

- All 914s were rear coilover.

- Instead of a helper spring, i simply zip-tied the spring to the top perch. They conveniently have two holes that fit the bill.

- I put the adjustable collar on the middle clip and it seems to be a good fit in that position with plenty of thread going up and down.

bye1.gif

PS: welcome.png
SirAndy

IPB Image
Jeffs9146
I am having this issue with my Koni Reds and 160lb springs!

I am looking to space the bottom perch about 1 1/2"-2" above the fixed perch setting!

I think a nice aluminim spacer would work does anyone know of one that is made for this purpose?
Phoenix-MN
Here's how I did mine

Click to view attachment
bulitt
You might want to take a measurement of the current height to have a benchmark. Measure from the center of the wheel well to the ground on both sides. After you put your coilovers on you will have to drive around a bit so the suspension will settle, then you can check your height.
seventythree
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Using zip-ties is a fantastic idea. I think I'll do that. biggrin.gif

BTW, what is the white plastic disk I see in both photos from SirAndy & Phoenix-MN? I don't have any of those.
Jeffs9146
OK I came up with a decent solution for my 1 1/2" spring perch gap!!

Gota love Home Depot!

I started with a 2" EMT Compression Coupling and cut it in half!

Loosen the Compression Nut and slide it over the Koni (I don't know if it will work for other shocks but it looks good for the Koni's)!

Tighten the nut and it snugs up on the shock against the perch bottom!

Reassemble the shock and the 1 1/2" gap is gone!!

If you need more than 1 1/2" you can remove the bottom nut and grind out the inside colar, so it will slide all the way down, and use the whole thing for one shock. I was able to use one for both shocks by cutting it in half!
TargaToy
Please forgive the hijack but since we're talking about hardware store stuff... Look what the PO used to help take up the sag in my stock rear springs!

Click to view attachment

Yes, that's a big steel plumbing coupling.

Jeffs9146
I looked at that but decided the nice curve on the top of the compression coupling had a bit more style and for $5.25 it works!!

The 2" pipe doesn't fit snug and tight around the shock, like the compression coupling, it flopps around!
TargaToy
What's the ID of the Ground Control threaded sleeve? What's the OD of a Bilstein or Koni shock?

I've still got a GC coilover kitfrom a Honda application and some 150 lb Eibachs. I was thinking maybe my kit's adaptable to the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.