Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hurt Motor Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
I recently picked up a 74 2.0L that looked real clean, but had not been on the road for 2+ years. Many of you know the car from Tim Jones web page, it is the Bumble Bee. Since it had not been drive for awhile, it ran rough when fire up.

First step was to take it to Don Jackson in Phoenix to get a tune up and make sure it would pass emissions. They said they felt the MPS was bad, hence my post yesterday. During the tune up they felt there was an exhaust leak. So new header gaskets. Still the leaking problem. They next did a compression test and report the following:

#1 20% blow by rings and valve
#2 15% blow by rings
#3 10% blow by
#4 8% blow by

I have a some idea what this means but.... They are recommending at the minimum a top end rebuild and they are pushing hard for a switch to carburation. And they are saying the best thing is a total rebuild ($6000+) if the case and heads are good, more if not.

As the care is an LE, I really want to keep the FI system. A spare 6K is an issue too.

I am handy enough to do small things, but don't know if I could do a rebuild. More like I would pull the motor and take/ship it.

I have gotten lots of good advice from the members here, and would appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, etc.
eeyore
Is your 1.7 FI still in-car & complete? I know there are slight variations from between '73 and '74 (dizzy, FI brain, MPS?). However if there is an FI issue, which it doesn't sound like it is yet, then swap parts between cars to be sure.

Are the valves adjusted? When my buddy bought his latest 2.0, he discovered that compression was very inconsistent between cylinders, and was hesitant to buy, until $1500 was dropped off the price. When he got home, he adjusted the valves and the problem went away.

The three exhaust leaks I've had were fixed with a file, and careful re-installation.
nebreitling
take it to a new mechanic. why do they want to put carbs on it? they can't diagnose the Djet?
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Aug 28 2004, 08:38 AM)
take it to a new mechanic. why do they want to put carbs on it? they can't diagnose the Djet?

agree.gif get a new mechanic!
they don't know crap about D-Jet. that's why they push for carbs ...

also, a *complete* rebuild can be had for much less than $6k+ ...

i smell rip-off ...
<_< Andy
Cap'n Krusty
$6K is OBSCENE! More if the heads are bad? Even more obscene! They must have HUGE boat payments! The leakdown numbers are acceptable, especially for a motor that's been sitting for a long time. Did they do it with the engine at operating temperature? Did they do a compression test? These guys appear to have seen you coming ............ The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.