Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Is it possible and has it ever been done... Heat and then stretch the rear fenders to get just a bit more room for a slightley larger tire. I have empi wheels and the offset just doesn't accomodate 205 50s.
Cheers, Elliot icon14.gif
John Kelly
Hi Elliot,

Have you read the "rabbit flares" and "Fuchs" posts? Better methods described there. Heating and working sheet steel is not the best way to work it. It should be worked cold unless you want to shrink. You can torture the metal with a porta power, but a hammer and dolly, or the methods I've described in the other posts are preferable. Remember, heat first expands, then shrinks the metal down more than before the heat was applied, so cold work to stretch. Heating steel for working it is more applicable to blacksmith work, or bending thicker materials

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Bleyseng
Way easier to switch to 4 bolt Fuchs than to stretch the fenders. The base ball bat method works but will damage the paint.
Geoff
joesfly
John is the metal working expert here.
I did my flares wih a dolly and hammer.....the pain of 10,000 whacks. I'm sure I used more body filler
than someone that knew WTF they were doing would, but they came out alright.
The shape of the flares is prolly not to everyones tastes.......the 225s don't care, tho.

No pics till I get home....if you wanna see em'.

The Artist Formerly Knowed as JPIII
airsix
QUOTE(joesfly @ May 1 2003, 06:31 PM)
The Artist Formerly Knowed as JPIII

Whats up with that? You're to wise and experienced to be going through some "find myself" identity crisis. laugh.gif
-Ben M.
joesfly
I'm at my son's place in Yuba City, CA and using his puter. I was going by "Dumbshit" (cause I missed Brad's swap meat) but since we are self censoring,
dumbsh!t is unacf***ingcepatble language and I can't use it.

I'm leaving for home in a few hours and may revert to my former profane self. smash.gif

JPcubed
nealnorlack
Thanks for all the good advice. I called Parts Heaven to see if they had any 4bolt Fuchs. They said they didn't have any in stock but when they do they will be $125.00 a piece. Does that sound about right for those wheels?
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
That is a tad high Elliot.

Post to the list (start another thread) asking for them.

I know of several listers (BBS users) that are in Ca. and have used good Fuchs for sale (100$ apiece or so)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.