Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion Stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
For anyone who is doing, has done, or is considering a V8 or even V6 conversion, you may want to consider using this type of hose for the front to rear radiator hoses. It is sprung so it will never collapse, it is incredibly strong and will out last anything I have seen used on any conversion to date. There is another type of hose which is superior to this but the cost is just more than I wanted to spend. I used this hose and in the picture you will see why. The hose that RSH and RH sells is the green stripe Gates hose which is pretty good hose but it will kink when bent too far and could collapse when it gets hot. This hose was made to run marine exhaust through and the heat will not affect it and it is sprung so it will never collapse or kink when you run that sharp corner. This board is for information from people who have experience in doing things on our cars. I am seeing more and more people doing conversions on these cars and thought I would pass this on. To buy the hoses to run front to rear for both directions would be around 75 to 80 bucks. RH and RS both sell their Gates hoses for 110.00 and 90.00. I only used this hose for the suction side and not the return. The suction hose will collapse when it gets hot so I wanted to make sure it would not. It cost me about 30 bucks for the hose and I thought it was cheap insurance. I just wanted to pass this information on.
Mueller
and you can buy it where???? smile.gif
propricer
If you squash the sprung hose flat, does it spring back or hold the flat ???

I have been running Gates hose under my conversion for 17 years and have yet to have a problem - even when I hit a speed bump wrong and squash a hose for an instant !!!

It bounces back and I keep on going !!!
rey
Thanks Ill keep in in mind when for i get there smile.gif

Im almost done with the rebuild on the 283. smilie_pokal.gif

I'm now wanting to start to collect parts. I want to use RH,which adapter plate do I need to get.I'm searching for used stuff cool_shades.gif .
and also which presure plate and cluch assembley shoud I look for .
Thanks beerchug.gif
Rey
GWN7
Good information. smilie_pokal.gif

I was also reading that there are different grades of the Gates hose, only 1 is rated to withstand Temps of -50 and it is 3X the cost. Just another thing to think about when planning the conversions. Is your car going to see cold temps? or not?
dan10101
I went to both places in town, and didnt find anything near that price.. twas 7 bucks a foot...

So.. We bought some other stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.