914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Martin Baker
newdeal2
Yep...the market is saturated.
Brad Roberts
Can you say "spec Miata" ??

B
Andyrew
Rather buy a boxter than a miata... but I wouldnt mind a miata either (I'll make it manly... Im thinking turbo.. flares... racing suspension, large meats, big brake, striped interior, seats, belts, stearing wheel.... the whole bit..)
seanery
Mazda now has a turbo miata, got great reviews in Car & Driver recently
Andyrew
Ahh good, engine swap..

(I want to swap Mitsubishi's new Galant v6 engine in our Galant v6.. it has 30 more hp.. but is like .5L bigger... Mom doesnt like that idea...lol)
Brad Roberts
I didnt mean "buy" a Miata.. I meant: start a Spec series running a slew of Boxsters much like the Spec Miata series currently running all over the USA in different forms.

B
seanery
oh, so what you meant to say was "Spec Boxster" laugh.gif
neo914-6
Ahh good, engine swap..

There is a nice Ford V8 conversion called Monster Miata.
My friend tuned his Miata with a turbo, he used to work for a BMW tuner in Mountain View, forget the name...
OT! OT! OT! OT! OT! OT! OT!
Brad Roberts
Dinan.

B
neo914-6
B,

Dam you're good!
Brad Roberts
I cant recall how to make money... but I have no issues with long term memory lol2.gif

B
Andyrew
Oh Brad, I know you where talking about a spec series... but I was just getting "off topic/On topic."...

Twould be a cool series... Would give the boxster a better name for itself.. (like the miata has done for itself..)
Brando
hah... when boxsters are cheap enough... i'd like to throw a boxster s engine into my 914... When they're abundant enough, this could possibly be a common swap...
Brad Roberts
We have already started...Welcome to the 914Club Brando.

Seriously... I'm working (slowly) on a BoxsterS engine and 6 speed in a 914. We have everything we need just trying to figure out the rear suspension right now. The Boxster engine is MUCH wider than a stock 911 6 cyl or our 4 cy.

B
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 29 2004, 01:49 PM)
hah... when boxsters are cheap enough... i'd like to throw a boxster s engine into my 914... When they're abundant enough, this could possibly be a common swap...

Here you go if you wanna try...Boxster S engine on ebay although it might require some work.

IPB Image

Boxster S Engine
horizontally-opposed
Too...hard...to...resist...

Just bought a 1999 for $17,500 with 59000 miles. Very solid history, but not perfect. Needed a bunch of stuff, but used that to bargain down from a $23,500 asking price. Used part of the leeway for new 18x8 and 18x10-inch 996TT wheels with tires. With the big service done and the new wheels and an alignment, I'm all in at $21,500. Now, must figure out best approach to lowering the car without wrecking the ride.

For those who haven't tried one, a Boxster is just a modern 914 that's better in every way except for the extra 500 pounds. Simply an amazing car. And they are now silly cheap. Anyone who says 2.5s are under-powered doesn't "get" it -- like 914s, 986s require you to conserve speed and reward you for it. Plus, 201 hp and 149 mph is hardly slow...

This is so much car it had me thinking about selling the 914 instead of the WRX to help finance it.... But I just can't EVER sell my 914, so the Subie must go. Of course, Rebekah has already stolen the Boxster, so I am still in the 914 as a "daily"...

I guess I like my Porsches mid-engined and production-based (for cost reasons). Does that mean the next step is a C-GT? biggrin.gif chairfall.gif

pete
Mueller
congrats Pete.......I'd love to see some pictures with those huge tires under the car !!!!!!!
Gint
For those who haven't tried one, a Boxster is just a modern 914 that's better in every way except for the extra 500 pounds. Simply an amazing car. And they are now silly cheap. Anyone who says 2.5s are under-powered doesn't "get" it -- like 914s, 986s require you to conserve speed and reward you for it. Plus, 201 hp and 149 mph is hardly slow...

I haven't driven one yet (because I'd have to have one if I did), but from what I know about them I would tend to agree.

Pics please!
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. Pete went and bought one... I'm warming up the Boxster bulletin boards as we type.

B
horizontally-opposed
How do I get one o' them digital cameras to work... wink.gif

pete
Trekkor
I drove my friends Boxster a few weeks before I bought my 914. Awesome ride to say the least. Couldn't figure out how to see the engine though? headbang.gif

I drove it like a rental car.. and he was with me. I had to go back and apologize to him for my ways after the adreniline wore off. unsure.gif

I've since driven it again. I behave better now.

He like's to drive my car too, BTW.

I am priming my wife for her Cayenne. idea.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.