Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/X School at Candlestick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Big, sold out a/x school this weekend... and nothing?

I passed this year. Did all the 914's skip this one?

KT
EdwardBlume
It seems like it. Most of the 914s there are instructors. I think there's only one "student". Too bad- its a great school. Don't expect to show up and drive in the top 10 without going to an AX school.
Trekkor
I may have attended if it was at a different venue.

I saw the WCC video. Candlestick scares me unsure.gif

All bumpy, dippy and rocky. I like Marina and Alameda.

KT
EdwardBlume
Wait... let me get this right. You would forgo expert instruction, 8 specialized exercises, better results overall, and a ton of fun.... all so that your toosh doesn't hit a bump!? chair.gif

I guess I don't have to worry about the level of competion here any time soon. mueba.gif
Mueller
I may have attended if it was at a different venue.
I saw the WCC video. Candlestick scares me
All bumpy, dippy and rocky. I like Marina and Alameda.

I forgot, in the real world, roads, tracks and every auto-x venue they have no dips, bumps or uneven terrian so of course you only need to learn car control on a perfectly smooth surface laugh.gif

I've done this auto-x school 2 times now, once in my 914 about 6 years ago and last year in our 911, it was a blast and my wife and I still talk about time to time....
Trekkor
I guess I set myself up for a little rippin' slap.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
The problem is communication. If you dont belong to PCA you dont know about these events until it is almost too late. I know of at least 5-6 people that where turned away because they signed up too late.

My goal is to close the communication gap a little over time.

B
Mueller
One of the benifits to joining the PCA, you would have read about this months ago and could have signed up for it before it sold out.

These 2 day events are designed for the newbie or someone that does not know or understand things like understeer/oversteer....you will not walk away an experts, but you will learn something about you and your car......now that I've done the class in both of my P-cars, I don't think I'd ever sign up for this particular class again unless I bought a totally different model Porsche than what I already have....besides it would be unfair to the folks that have never been if the same people kept returning year after year

When Sherryl and I took our 914, it was a bone stock 1.8, (no swaybars, cheap shocks) and we still had a blast.....before the event I had convinced myself that I had to have a bigger engine in the car (a 2.2T 911 engine was sitting in my garage at the time)......after the 2 day event, I was more than happy with the 1.8 and how well it did compared to the other cars out there.

I highly recommend doing this with your spouse
ppickerell
F$%K! I had a good excuse headbang.gif ! I really wanted to be there and am sorry to have missed it sad.gif . I had my app all filled out 2 months ago. Next date for this kind of thing? I saw a beautiful 78 911SC for sale in Pleasanton this weekend idea.gif and if my car is not done soon, I may go taildragger icon8.gif temporarily to get the wife some clutch time prior to PDE driving-girl.gif .
Andyrew
I like candlestick.... Its big...

Just try to stay at the end of the pack so that everyone else can clear the dirt and such away from the track biggrin.gif

I want to go to a school.... Never get any words about it though...
EdwardBlume
The problem is communication. If you dont belong to PCA you dont know about these events until it is almost too late. I know of at least 5-6 people that where turned away because they signed up too late.

My goal is to close the communication gap a little over time.

The school had openings for over 2 months. There were announcements at all of the LPR and GGR events leading up to it. The real reason is $$$$. Once you realize you are missing the boat, you sign up the following year. Too bad. Great courses. I hit 70!
Trekkor
Rob, I'll vouch for you.

I remember you started a thread announcing the school here months ago.
I heard all the announcements over the last few months.
I even printed the registration off a web site.
This was certainly no secret event.

It was 1/2 location, 1/2 timing for me.

I can't do it all.

Maybe next time?

There are 3-4 A/X left for me this season.

KT
EdwardBlume
Thanks.

I just want 914 folks to kick ass.

The 914 is an awesome car- especially for autocross. With the right setup and driver, it can be in the top 10 consistently, if not lining up the top 10.

Most people think the fast cars are based on well prepared cars. Not entirely true. The driver makes the car. I taught a true AX newbie today in a 914, and it taught me how hard it is to master AXing. It takes seat time, instruction, attention to details, and understanding of the physics of your car.

You go faster and faster when you know your car and what it can do. Only you make it happen.

I guess I am bitter that only one 914 student was there. I'm moving on, but I'm hoping that when and if I can stop by, somebody in a 914 will be out there carrying the torch. You know I'll be there to pass on what I know at every LPR event.

I'll post the next LPR track in a week or so. It's a good one. driving.gif
Brad Roberts
So.. tell us... how many Boxster's Rob ??

B
GTeener
I went to the AX Intro School at Alameda last year with my Dad and we learned a lot.

I had other commitments this weekend, or I would have been there reprezent'n.

Candlestick is much closer than most of the places we schedule. I still haven't driven there... and I definitely need the driving practice!
Randal
Here is a brief report.

I think that everone that attended the school will say it ws a huge success.

On the first day we did the basics - and I mean lots of basics and seat time. Five venues were set up: braking, slalom, chicane, a large oval and a figure 8. Each venue had a 60 ft skid pad in the center, which was the first exercise for everyone. (note: We should think about setttin up the skid pad at our AutoX events for new students)

The second day had two autox venues set up, one tight the other one huge and wide open. In fact we had to tone down the huge venue, as it was way too fast.

On Sunday all my students ran the fast autox (about 55 seconds) at least 7 or 8 times within 45 minutes. Probably would have done 10 runs each if the 944 turbo (two driver car) hadn’t stated throwing out fluid.

The tight course we ran 17 times, all within 45 minutes. It was a great opportunity to work on all driving elements - and the times just kept going down.

I had some great students; they will be doing well at local events from now on.

And I’ll bet there wasn’t an instructor there who wouldn’t say that training someone else didn’t help (the instructor) to remember all those things forgotten over time (in the heat of competition). Like how many times have I gotten pissed off when my car over steered in a tight corner and I just kept the throttle to the floor, like that was going to change the situation.

All in all a great event. well worth the money.

And BTW I'm really impressed with the way Boxers handle. You’d actually have a hard time doing something wrong, as the suspension is totally forgiving. And I'm also impressed with the 944 turbo's handling and power.

Wonder if we could drop a turbo 944 into a 914? The turbo's are very fast, cheap and available. 280hp in a 914 would seem to be a rocket, hey?

On average what were the biggest driving elements people needed to learn/work?

Position on the course and knowing where to go next
Smooth steering input
Hand position during a corner
Late braking and braking in a straight line
Sudden application of almost anything

And if you can’t seem to figure out a corner, ask an instructor. One of my students and I figured out that everyone was early apexing one end of the oval. The design was (actually) like a big light bulb, so we started to (really) late apex the big end – the result - this student had his 944 on the absolute edge around the entire course. Way to much fun!
Randal
So.. tell us... how many Boxster's Rob ??

Randal
The problem is communication

I'll talk to Doug and see if he can't post important events on our site, if people really do want to hear in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.