Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 collapsable oil return tube...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Dang....

I just installed the -6 in the new race car for the very first time today...
but when I got it up off the floor, I noticed that the brand new fresh motor has a damaged oil return tube....

dang they were all gold cad plated too...
freight shipping sucks

having never done this before, is there any difference in brands or techniques....

anybody BTDT?

captain are you listening?

tia
brant
TimT
Just replace the bent tube, get a collapsible replacement tube.

yank the bent one out, stuff in the new one

They are a bit of a PITA to install though
brant
Tim,

are all the brands the same (tube wise)

ie: does so and so sell one with better seals, and it would be wise to buy that one?

tia
brant
Joe Bob
If it is a stock line....I have a collection of them in the garage....post a pic.
Brad Roberts
He bent one of his oil return tubes.

Brant.. do what Tim said. They work well. I think they run in th 40$ range.

I stock them/use them reguarly.

B
Joe Bob
Need to read slower....

Hey Brad....got any sender units for VDO oil pressure and temp gauges?????
Brad Roberts
Mike,

we stock a slew of VDO stuff... but honestly... I call Palo Alto Speedo and tell them what we need. They are 15 minutes from the shop. I am NO good at guessing the VDO crap. Too many options to remember.

I do know a stock 911 oil temp sender will run the smaller VDO numbered gauge.

B
Joe Bob
Yup...THAT I figured out.....took Frank out for a good run and used my hand held pyrometer to check oil temp in the dry sump. Never got over 150F.....I'm thinking the oil thermostat may be a little sticky. Engine seemed to be warmer than that.
Brad Roberts
"Frank" for short... gotta love it..

Any water cooled cars in your area ?? 996's 986's ??

B
Dr Evil
Look at EBS (engine builders supply) in NV. They have them with the seals for $22. I just bought one(plus some other suff biggrin.gif )
Joe Bob
Thanks....Andy was nice enough to offer to send the ones off the T4 engine...he has 911 gausges and use MY stuff.....COOL.... pray.gif
Carl
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 29 2004, 05:19 AM)
Just replace the bent tube, get a collapsible replacement tube.

yank the bent one out, stuff in the new one

They are a bit of a PITA to install though

Use two screw-type hose clamps in the middle of the new tube. One clamp on each half. Then you can use a screwdriver to pry between the clamps to force the tubes into position. It's much easier to install them this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.