Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead Alternator Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
I have 914, Buick V6 powered. I have gone thru three alternators, and two or three regulators in a very short time, and wonder if anyone has a clue as to what might be happening.

The alternators, and regulators (914 parts) all have come from a known good stash of parts. The charging works fine for a short while, but after maybe a couple hundered miles of use, the charging stops, I get the red light on the dash, and the battery goes weak.

I was thinking at first maybe the lack of blower air to cool the alternator might be the problem, so last alternator had a fan / pulley put on it but now this one has died, that make three dead alternators. The alternator is not being over rev'd, as the drive pulley is actually smaller than on the 914 (driven pulley is stock sized)

All wires appear correct, and the battery is a good one, no shorts, and takes a charge fine when connected to my home charger.

Any possible explinations out there?

I'd like to try getting away from the 914 alternator system at this point (unless I am missing something) so do any conversion motor car owners have suggestions?

i do not think I want to waste a fourth 914 alternator on this unless i can figure out what is happening.

Anyway, hope someone can shed some light on my problem here.

thanks dave
Brad Roberts
Drop it like a bad habit. Run a GM one wire alternator with internal regulator. It would not surprise me at all that you are spinning it too SLOW.

You have plenty of room with that V6 to run a Gm alternator on a stock bracket with stock pulleys.

B
dmenche914
Ok, that sounds like sound advice can anyone recommend a model of GM alternator? The parts people at the local autostores can seem to only be able to deal with parts identified by year, make and model, or maybe a GM partnumber.

Mine is a Buick 3.8 V6 probably circa 1980's I believe OEM Buck alternators were mounted up top the enigne, however with air cleaner and hood clearance I must keep my alternator position down low, drivers side (almost the original 914 position!)

So any suggestions on what year make and model to get an alternator for would be helpful Hopefully one that is very close to the Bosch 914 alternator size/mounting method, as that is what my alternator bracket currently fits.

Does running the alternator too slow hurt it? I can see it not fully charging at reduced rpm, but can it actually cause a failure? Or does anyone think engine heat might be an issue noting that the wires off the alternator rear (closest to the headers) do NOT appear to be heat effected? I am sure it might be getting warmer than a stock 914 alternator, but not overly hot by any means, especially since I added a fan pulley, afterall many stock American alternator are mounted low are'nt they?
Maybe it is a fact that the einge is mounted facing a fire wall, so no ram air cooling the alternator in it's present location? Sure like to know what killed these three alternators.

At any rate it looks like a GM one now, just which one????
dave
Brad Roberts
Use a 1986 Chevy truck alternator. Should be 60-70amps. The Silverado alternator will be more (those where the fully loaded trucks back then) Your going to need a street rod style low mount setup for the alt. You stand a 90% chance that you will have to re-clock the alternator so the mounting hole lines up. It is pretty easy.

I would start with Kohlweiss. They know their ass from a whole in the ground.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.