Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please examine your rear end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I've got the rear bumper off my car while I'm working on some rust out below the tail lights. I'm noticing that the vertical surface of the rib that runs under both lights across the back of the car is not parallel with the panel where the trunk release and and where my "914" badge is.

Without another car to use as reference, I'm trying to figure out if these two surfaces are supposed to be parallel. OR, has my car been smacked lightly in the rear end.

I've attached a crude attempt at a technical drawing and a crude phone shot of this area of the car.

Are panels A and B supposed to be parallel?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
If I'm understanding the question correctly, I'm pretty sure that the lower part curving/slanting a bit inward towards the front of the car is supposed to be that way, with the part between & behind the lights more nearly vertical.

If I'm wrong - someone will correct me I'm sure, and if that's not what you're asking.....then just ignore my feedback! biggrin.gif

PS -
There's a topic on here somewhere that has pics with all of the body dimensions which probably shows that rear panel head-on &/or in profile, which I couldn't find my bookmark to it. maybe someone else can post the link to it for you.

There is also this body info. in the 914 info section link at the top of the page:
http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rick 918-S
I don't understand the question. Are you asking if the panel should look like your drawing "A"?

Click to view attachment

Or my drawing "B"?

Click to view attachment
TargaToy
Rick, YES! That's exactly what I'm asking (looking like your drawing).

It seems that out by the ends, the "vertical" plane of that long rib is more or less parallel with the panel between the lights. However, in the area over the license plate (sort of in that unsupported area of the bumper topper), the "vertical" plane is slanted just like your drawing.

How's that supposed to look?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 26 2012, 08:33 PM) *

Rick, YES! That's exactly what I'm asking (looking like your drawing).

It seems that out by the ends, the "vertical" plane of that long rib is more or less parallel with the panel between the lights. However, in the area in the area over the license plate (sort of in that unsupported area of the bumper topper), the "vertical" plane is slanted just like your drawing.

How's that supposed to look?

Oh, Ok, let me go out and see if I can get a photo.
rick 918-S
Ok, This is the Raspberry car. It has not been hit in the rear.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TargaToy
Rats. That's what I thought. My car's been smacked.

But I don't think it's bad, bad. I think I can jack it back out, hopefully.

Wood blocks and a bottle jack? Careful and strategic tapping?

The bumper seemed to fit fine before but it's going to drive me nuts that the profile is wrong.

Thanks a lot for getting the pics for me, Rick.

rick 918-S
Test fit the bumper. I don't think it's going to matter. The bumper pad goes up to the top edge like this crude sketch biggrin.gif
914werke
good diagrams Rick!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 26 2012, 11:53 PM) *

good diagrams Rick!

I can't take the cred. I just tweeked the BMP Conrad posted and saved it as a jpg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.