Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's not much but it is FORWARD progress!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgomes
Just a few progress pics for the curious. It's not a huge amount of progress but at least it feels like the project is starting to move forward! smilie_pokal.gif

This is a pic of the taper lock hub. It's the reason for my question about flywheel distance. I have about 5 cm of play here so I needed to know where the flywheel was SUPPOSED to end up. Thank you Demick for the fantastic data dump you gave me! pray.gif

The amazing thing about taper lock hubs is that you can remove the bolts completely and the thing still won't come off!
sgomes
Flywheel: Demick -- the final distance was 44.2mm
Brad Roberts
Cool. So you can use a stock flywheel/pp/disc setup ?

B
sgomes
Now THIS is how to spin up a motor on the bench!!!

(and you thought your STARTER motor sucked amps!!! cool_shades.gif )
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. we both posted at the exact same time.. TWICE.

B
sgomes
Brad, yep it's stock all the way. Ok, I didn't use the engine seal thingy since I don't have any oil in my motor! blink.gif
sgomes
Oh and just cuz... here is the P. Plate:
sgomes
This time for sure..
Aaron Cox
wow!...

now what do u use as final drive ratio... just 5th gear?
whats the torque on that e motor?
sgomes
Comparing gas engines to electric motors is always complicated. If I told you that this motor is rated at 20 Hp you'd say well gee that doesn't seem like enough. Problem is gas engines are rated at peak Hp whereas electric motors are rated at continuous Hp. The peak on this motor is rated at 90Hp but many people have run it 2 or 3 times that! Torque is even more complicated.

I'm using a stock 901 tranny so the final drive is stock. And mostly I just use third gear.

Basically I've put this system together to deliver something very close to a 1.7L 914. I'm just trying to make a daily driver not a rocket like Otmar's.
Brando
is there any shifting with an electric motor car? I've always wondered... since when you let off the power, the engine stops spinning, wouldn't that make for grinding gears?
sgomes
When you let off the pedal the motor doesn't stop. In fact it will keep spinning for a VERY long time. You just aren't ADDING any energy. Since there is no compression like a gas engine it will just spin forever. Actually thats a difference in how you drive an electric car correctly. You get it up to speed and then take your foot off the pedal. It feels like you have cruise control. When the car slows a bit you just give it a little pedal and repeat. driving.gif

Oh and on the subject of shifting.... You don't have to use the clutch at stop lights since you can't stall! cool_shades.gif You don't HAVE to use the clutch to go again either (I do though.)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 29 2004, 02:07 PM)
is there any shifting with an electric motor car? I've always wondered... since when you let off the power, the engine stops spinning, wouldn't that make for grinding gears?

good point.

electric motors develop most of their power and torque at low rpm's right?
so i thought you just start in whatevr gear youd like....and vary the current for more or less speed
Brando
how do you engine-brake?
Rhodes71/914
That's very cool, an electric engine in a 914. My "alternative transportation brother would love it!
sgomes
In MY setup I don't engine-brake at all. Yes that means the brakes get a work out. Hence my upgrading to 320i brakes on the front. Some people do put in regenerative braking to charge the batteries and that makes the car feel like it has tons of compression.

Sean:

send your brother this link: http://www.electroauto.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.