Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get email notifications?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I used to get email notices whenever there was a new topic started. For some reason they have stopped coming. I don't know that I changed anything in my profile. I can't find anything to change that will bring it back. Am I blind or did this feature break?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ May 1 2003, 09:27 PM)
I used to get email notices whenever there was a new topic started.  For some reason they have stopped coming.  I don't know that I changed anything in my profile.  I can't find anything to change that will bring it back.  Am I blind or did this feature break?

you are the guy that was on the road for 2 weeks or so, right?
we had to shut you off because your email address was disabled during that time (did you do that?) and it would break the BBS because every time someone posted a new thread your email was bouncing causing the BBS to lock up ...

go to your BBS settings,

My Controls/Change Email Address/

and reset it to your working email ...

Andy
Mike9142.0
I am not geting them. We were gone for two day's. I did not change my email, has not changed for two or more year's.
ThinAir
I'll give that a shot. I was only on the road for 48 hours and I've got no indication that any other mail didn't make it through while I was gone. I can't explain how that happened.
Brad Roberts
I took both of you out of the email server.

Your email address was bouncing for some reason.

I noticed both of you use the same domain name for email.

You can change it back... I just added the admin@914world.com email address cause I knew it wouldnt bounce.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ May 1 2003, 09:40 PM)
I'll give that a shot. I was only on the road for 48 hours and I've got no indication that any other mail didn't make it through while I was gone. I can't explain how that happened.

you guys kept us (me and brad) up all night. we had a hard time figuring out why the BBS was crashing/locked up until we realized your emails were bouncing cool.gif

Andy
ThinAir
We were up all night too... of course we were driving the new teener!
Brad Roberts
Ha ha..

You had your email set to notify you EVERY time a new post was added... well guess what ??? Because your email was bouncing... every time somebody started a new thread.. they would get a error page because the BBS couldnt send email to you.

B
Brad Roberts
And I'm GETTING THEM responding to THIS thread...

Did you change it back ??

B
ThinAir
Yikes! I just reset my email and the next reply that I post shows me the SMTP error page! There must be something squirrely with peoplepc. I changed it back again to admin@914world.com so hopefully the problem will be gone.
Brad Roberts
Now.. imagine 50-60 people getting that same error and multiple posts happening because people couldnt tell the post was actually going thru..

We where hating life.

B
ThinAir
I've emailed peoplepc tech support to find out why they are blocking this mail. My guess is that the volume I was getting from the same address made it look to them like admin@914world.com was a spammer. Funny... they never did anything like that with Rennlist when it was 4 times as busy as it is now.

Since I changed it back, there have been no errors so obviously that is the problem. At least it's reproduceable! I promise that I won't turn it on again until I get peoplepc's assurance that it has been taken care of!
Brad Roberts
Thanks !! LOL

I'm betting they think we are spamming them. I do know this email server was blacklisted about a year ago.. but I took care of that ages ago.

B
ThinAir
This may still be a problem that you have to find a solution for. I had a typo in the email address when I changed it back and when I posted I got the SMTP error again. Even though you have to type it twice, if someone manages to put in an invalid email it will cause the problem. I can see this happening because someone's account expires because they are switching providers and forget to change it.
Brad Roberts
I normally PM them about the problem and they correct it.

And.. most people dont set their email up to receive a email each time a new post is added. I can count on one hand how many people have that setup. Most people only receive one email each time somebody replies to a post they replied to or started.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.