Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where did this car go? I know it's a long shot...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
My mother just recently unearthed some pictures of her 914 that I believe she bought new in the early 70s. From the pictures, it looks like it would be a 70-72 model, but I'm not sure. Any light on the subject as to what year this car could be? Also, she doesn't have a VIN or license plate number, but she did sell it in the Chattanooga, TN area sometime in the mid-late 70s. Her name before she married my father was Barbara Cunningham, now Barbara Brown. I'd love to find out if it is still around, but have no clue how to proceed.

Thanks for the help!

And the doberman in the picture was Dirk, who my mother claims rode shotgun several times.
IronHillRestorations
Without the VIN, it's going to be tough.
OU8AVW
You're Mom was pretty hot..... wub.gif
Tom_T
If you have the old license plate number, then TN DMV/BMV may have a way to do an info. request for the car if it's still registered somewhere (CA has a process for that, which is old school paper app & microfilm/digital search for a fee).

Another option may be to find the original dealer who sold it new, or used if that was how she bought it. There's an outside chance that they may still have an old records archive for it.

If you have pix of the F & R bumpers (70 MY had the sharp cornered bumpers & 70-72 base 914s had color matched painted bumpers & then 73-74 were black like the rockers/valances & 75-76 were big bumpers), as well as interior & dash (p914.com has some good info. on model year detail differences), all of which could help ID the MY.

A few things I can guess from looking at it that may help you defining the particular 914 & MY in your search, are that:

1. It's a non-appearance group & non-performance group 914
(why - no vinyl on the sails & 70's would've probably been too soon to have it removed for a repaint, esp. with apparent great condition of paint, & no alloy wheels)

2. Those look like the base level painted steel wheels with the plain chrome hubcaps (i.e.: with not Porsche crest nor VW logo), so it's probably a base level early 914/4. Your Mom may recall which it was /4 or -6?

3. Its color looks to be L21E Tangerine - but lighting, photos & displays can distort colors (as seen even between these 3 photos), so it could also be L20E Signal Orange or L32K Phoenix Red.

If it is Tangerine (Blut Orange/Blood Orange), then that would place it as a 70, 71 or 72 - unless it was a 98 special order Porsche color out of those MYs. If Phoenix Red or Signal Orange, then it could be 73-74 for the former or 70-74 for the latter colors. If your Mom bought it new, maybe she recalls which MY.

4. The tan (officially #31 Beige) interior color was one of the least common ones, along with the darker brown.

5. Those side stripes were used 70 up to mid-74 when the LE style negative stripes came out with the LE's timing, but IIRC you could get the stripes in both styles thereafter form dealers etc.

6. Dirk riding shotgun was probably quite necessary, given your Mom's good looks! biggrin.gif
(Of course, us old folks were all at least somewhat better looking back in the 70's! laugh.gif )

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
zymurgist
Cool dog!
KELTY360
Doesn't look to be a retractable seat belt. What year did those start? Also, it's hard to tell, but the passenger seat back doesn't appear to be fixed. That would make it a '72 or later.
bandjoey
Mom looks like she's in a 70's Porsche advertising slick. Contrats on mom. cheer.gif Oh..and the car. Hope you locate it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 27 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Doesn't look to be a retractable seat belt. What year did those start?

IIRC it started in 73 with the transition to F impact bumpers with 3 mph front tits.

I can't see the pass. seat clear enough to tell if that's a fixed seat headrest, or the 72 moveable one, but it would set the MY to either side of 72 - if it's adjustable seat & non-retractable seatbelt & if Tangerine - that would probably nail it as a 72 MY.
amphiduck
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jan 27 2012, 03:04 PM) *

You're Mom was pretty hot..... wub.gif

I should've seen that coming av-943.gif

Thanks for the info so far. I knew you 914 gurus could pick out the small details to narrow down the year. Unfortunately, who ever took the photos apparently didn't know how to use the view finder. I'm certain the car is a 4 cylinder and that's about all I know. She did say she loved it because it never overheated in traffic.
SUNAB914
I'm sorry,your your mom was hot! What car? What are we talking about? Why are the back wheels bowed in? Baby got back!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 27 2012, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 27 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Doesn't look to be a retractable seat belt. What year did those start?

IIRC it started in 73 with the transition to F impact bumpers with 3 mph front tits.

I can't see the pass. seat clear enough to tell if that's a fixed seat headrest, or the 72 moveable one, but it would set the MY to either side of 72 - if it's adjustable seat & non-retractable seatbelt & if Tangerine - that would probably nail it as a 72 MY.

If I recall correctly, the fixed seat back didn't have the exact shape as the moveable. At the bottom of the passenger headrest in the pic, it curves under, duplicating the driver's headrest. I think it's a '72.
Ian Stott
Can I have your mom's phone number!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
dlee6204
: av-943.gif
majkos
I'm guessing '72 too.

the wheels are bowed in cause the springs were so dang Soft.

I thought the first picture, already rusted console!? blink.gif
(rear wheel console "ear ")
porbmw
Seatbelts...I"d say the 3 point...the one photo of the drivers' side looks like it has been taken behind the seat, and belted...And the same goes for the other photo that shows the passenger side. Gut feeling that both seatbelst were clicked from behind the seats...

Maybe ask your mom is she was a good girl and always used her seat belts...? dry.gif

Which, if correct, also references the passenger side seat....if the belt goes behind the seat, then it is the later, moveable version of seat.

Mirrors.
Drivers side view mirror looks to be the later version with the bend at 90 degrees, as opposed to sharp right angle

Rear view mirror (interior) looks to be the later version, not the long narrow version on earlier cars...

?
struckn
QUOTE(majkos @ Jan 27 2012, 03:36 PM) *

I'm guessing '72 too.

the wheels are bowed in cause the springs were so dang Soft.

I thought the first picture, already rusted console!? blink.gif
(rear wheel console "ear ")

The inspection Sticker on the windshield was a Red Color for Tennesee in '72.
So that was the year the picture was taken if that helps.

http://inspectionsticker.net/index.php?mai...age&pID=504

Bowed rear wheels were a big AX thing in the old days....negative camber.
SirAndy
QUOTE(porbmw @ Jan 27 2012, 03:55 PM) *
Seatbelts...I"d say the 3 point...

They were all 3-point ...
popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
You could see if the Insurance company has a record of the car, assuming they are still in business. Any tickets ? DMV might have a record of the VIN--a long shot, but you never know.

I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to locate a 6 I sold in 1987
TargaToy
Do you guys have pictures of yourselves with YOUR 914's so that your kids can play this fun game 40 years in the future? biggrin.gif
stugray
Cool dog!

Not just cool, the BEST Dog!

I have had a few dobies over the years.
The best dog I have ever encountered period.

If your Mom's car had been green and in OK. then I might have been able to help.
Good luck!

Stu
bigkensteele
You could also post your mother's name here. If anyone on the world has a similar car with documentation, they could look through it and let you know.

That is how I found and finally got in touch with the original owner of my car. It still had all of its records, and it was pretty easy to look him up. Great guy! It was his first car, and he bought it when he was a cadet at the Air Force Academy.
majkos
Oh wow! My cousin has graduated from Air Force Academy and he loves my 914 he wanted one himself.

That was before marriage.........kids.......divorce *sigh* life!
BKLA
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 27 2012, 04:44 PM) *

Do you guys have pictures of yourselves with YOUR 914's so that your kids can play this fun game 40 years in the future? biggrin.gif

Yep.... but mine has the plate in the picture 30 years ago.... But I was never as hot as his mom! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(porbmw @ Jan 27 2012, 03:55 PM) *

Mirrors.
Drivers side view mirror looks to be the later version with the bend at 90 degrees, as opposed to sharp right angle

Rear view mirror (interior) looks to be the later version, not the long narrow version on earlier cars...

?

Mirrors??..........what mirrors? confused24.gif
...Oh yeah....in front of the hottie! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 27 2012, 05:21 PM) *

You could also post your mother's name here. If anyone on the world has a similar car with documentation, they could look through it and let you know.

That is how I found and finally got in touch with the original owner of my car. It still had all of its records, and it was pretty easy to look him up. Great guy! It was his first car, and he bought it when he was a cadet at the Air Force Academy.

Read his first post again Ken, it's in there - maiden & married.
SUNAB914
happy11.gif He wasn't paying attention either.
EdwardBlume
Great Picts. Good luck with your search.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.