Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct six oil level?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
So I notice that I can easily over fill my oil system and start burning more oil than normal. I have an aftermarket velios tank in the original tank spot and I almost wonder if my tank has the wrong dipstick (have to keep the oil level very low on it). I wonder since the oil feed system is by gravity, can anyone tell me where my oil level is suppose to match in reference to the motor? Like midway on the upper valve cover, perhaps?

Justin
jflash914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 27 2012, 02:06 PM) *

So I notice that I can easily over fill my oil system and start burning more oil than normal. I have an aftermarket velios tank in the original tank spot and I almost wonder if my tank has the wrong dipstick (have to keep the oil level very low on it). I wonder since the oil feed system is by gravity, can anyone tell me where my oil level is suppose to match in reference to the motor? Like midway on the upper valve cover, perhaps?

Justin

Justin,
Are you checking the oil when the engine is up to full temperature?
Jack
Cairo94507
And running too biggrin.gif
Justinp71
Yup (full temp and running), I did make that mistake long ago... never again. With it being a conversion I just wanted some other measure than the dipstick to make sure that the oil is full. I got the tank at a swap meet, so I never really had good confidence that it even has the right dipstick.
jflash914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 27 2012, 02:19 PM) *

Yup, I did make that mistake long ago... never again. With it being a conversion I just wanted some other measure than the dipstick to make sure that the oil is full.

We use the same oil tank and we never fill it to the full mark on the dip stick. We usually run it about 1/2 inch below the full mark.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 27 2012, 02:06 PM) *

Justin

Hey Justin
How are you checking the level ?
It can only be properly checked when the engine is idling, on flat ground, at operating temp.
The oil level should be half way between min.and max.
If filled to max you would likely get slosh into the big vent hose up top.
With an OE tank it should take 8.5 to 9 quarts on an oil ghange.
Justinp71
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 27 2012, 02:25 PM) *

Hey Justin
How are you checking the level ?
It can only be properly checked when the engine is idling, on flat ground, at operating temp.
The oil level should be half way between min.and max.
If filled to max you would likely get slosh into the big vent hose up top.
With an OE tank it should take 8.5 to 9 quarts on an oil ghange.

So the oil level needs to be relative to the tank and not to the engine as I was thinking for some reason. If you overfill your tank it sloshes in the overfill tube and goes into the breather on the motor and that's how you get your mess... gotcha. Sounds like another way to make sure your dipstick is correct would be to take off the overflow tube on the tank and measure from there. Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.