Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L Head Sources
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I had my new 73 looked at by the local wrench that is the pro with dual Webers (Burkhart Franke - in case any of you know him). He's semi-retired at the moment and works through his son's shop.

Burk tells me that my head has a loose intake seat. As I'm discussing this later with his son, his son is telling me that at the cost of getting the head fixed I'd be better off buying new. I counter with "but these aren't VW heads - their Porsche heads". He comes back with a tale about a catalog he gets from an outfit that buys new engines in bulk from the factory & he shows me that you can get a new Audi 1.8 turnkey for $1100. He says he can get new heads from the same place.

I haven't had the head off yet to get an estimate on repair. I'm guessing that this guy is blowing alot of smoke here, but maybe not. Anybody know about getting new 2.0L 914-4 heads?
Brad Roberts
I have one good used head I can sell you...

IF IF.. you hook me up with the Audi 1.8 T engine connection. I need a 1.8T right now for a close friends car I have.

I'll sell the head for 250$ I know it is crack free and doesnt appear to have been rebuilt (virgin)

Your guy can buy new heads... but they will be 75-76 2.0 heads with smog ports in the exhaust (we can all buy them new)

B
Jeff Krieger
I think German law required Porsche to make replacement parts available for the 914 up until 10 years after production stopped. I personally don't think that NOS heads are still available.

Oops! I should read more carefully. Ok the 75 -76 2.0 heads are still available.
Brad Roberts
We buy new heads... there is a new Porsche department called "Porsche classic" you can just about buy anything now (within reason)

We buy new 1.8 heads for every SCCA race engine (I know they are VW style)

B
Qarl
OT:

Jeff: That's an interesting website you have a link to. Good toilet reading material!

Karl
Dave Cawdrey
I got a matching set, from 73-74. No cracks, bare, blasted. $450 shipping included.
Dave_Darling
2.0 heads are available new for between $250-300 each.

Of course, they're 2.0 bus heads. barf.gif

AMC, an outfit in Spain, makes new Type IV heads. Brand-new castings. They make 1.7, 1.8, Bus 2.0, and "Vanagon" 2.0 (with "square" exhaust ports) heads. They have the same crappy original valve seats and the machining in them is so-so. But they are brand new. I think I still have their catalog and contact info.

You'd have to do the conversion work (welding and cutting) to turn any of them into 914 2.0 heads. Probably not worth it.

--DD
ChrisReale
Why dont you just have them rebuilt?
ThinAir
Hey Brad -

Finally got the source on that engine supplier. I looked through the catalog more closely & didn't see anything priced like the Audi engine that I had mentioned. I don't know if I didn't remember well or the guy was BSing me. Anyway, here's the info and you can figure out if the place is worth anything.

Overland Parts, inc.
5975 Rossi Lane
Gilroy, CA95020

Phone 877-777-2388 x229
Fax 408-848-2145

I'll let you know about the head when I get the old one off and see just what damage was done.
Brad Roberts
Thanks Ernie.. all the locals know to stay away from those guy's. ph34r.gif

Thanks for trying. I really need to take care of this 1.8T and was hoping that your parts guy had a good solution for me.

B
ThinAir
When I saw where it was located, I figured you would know. I wasn't sure where Gilroy was, but the area code sounded close.
VegasRacer
GILROY - The Garlic capital of the world.

See, I know more California geography than what I learned from Beach Boy songs.
mightyohm
But it's the garlic capital of the world!

DOH, VegasRacer beat me to it.
Brad Roberts
Hey hey.. Vegas has been here.....

Yeah. Gilroy is about 2 hours south of me. I used to live about 30 min. from there.

B
EdwardBlume
Gilroy is a fabulous place.

B, just curious, has the motor worked out so far?
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. I just unloaded everything from my truck today.

It wont be touched for awhile (by me at least)

Your tranny and 2 other trannies are first priority.

Your tranny went on the bench today and will get cracked into this week.

B
EdwardBlume
Nice.

I was telling Cheryl that you had a real NASCAR in your trailer when you came by. Thank God you weren't around before I married her. Just kidding (I hope).

No hurry on the box.

Thanks!
Brad Roberts
The guy's at the shop wanted to have their picture taken in it...LOL so I did. Its amazing how people come running when you back it out of the trailer.. I didnt realize so many NorCal people would even know what a Cup car is... ha ha

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.