Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to "amp" up my sound experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
What options are there for those of us who do not want to cut up our stock dashes, and don't want to lose that cool stock dash with Blaupunkt look. Well, I think its cool anyways.

Is there some sort of tuner and cd player that can be mounted in the trunk or behind a seat and operated by a remote?

I think the totally remote tuner/cd type setup would be really clean.
charlesmac
Several companies make an fm modulator cd changer that can be mounted in the trunck and controlled by a remote, but with those you still have to use the indash tuner. As far as a remote mounted tuner? i dunno, but i know a guy, and can check with him tommorrow.

charles
airsix
Best money I've ever spent on audio equipment: iPod and a Belkin FM modulator.

A few weeks ago I picked up a 20gb iPod because the price was right (was on sale @ Circuit City). I also got a little FM transmitter with digital tuner that plugs into the headphone jack (which turns the iPod into a tiny radio-station). I've loaded the thing up with all my music and created a bunch of playlists. Now I listen to it when I'm mowing the lawn or working in the garage (most of the work I do in the garage requires I wear hearing protection so I can't listen to a regular stereo).

The best part is that when I get in the car I just plug the little FM modulator into the iPod and hit preset-1 on the car stero and I'm listening to the iPod on the car stereo. It works wonderfully - sounds great and is as small and portable as a deck of cards. I've saved a pre-set FM station in both cars so I no matter which car I'm in I just pull the iPod out of my pocket, select a playlist, and crank up the car stereo to hear my own personal radio station. No commercials. All music all the time wink.gif

This would allow you to use any head-unit you want as long as it has a decent FM tuner.

-Ben M.
morph
youre dash has a din hole in it.(a square hole that fits modern stereo)there is a adapter in the hole that is made to fit the knob stereo
so you dont have to "hack up youre dash"the worst thing you have to do is cut the dash vinyl after you pop out the adapter.so put a modern stereo in it.it was made from the factory for one.
GTeener
But the more important question is, what can be done to the stereo so you can actually hear it while being light weight and 'low profile' (aka:discrete).

confused24.gif
McMark
This car was upgraded by me from the "stock" stereo to a modern tuner. No cutting of the dash other than about 5 minutes with a file in the corners to finesse it. Slides right in after that. Speaker upgrade is from morphenspectra for 6.5" speakers.

IPB Image
IPB Image
GTeener
I replaced the stock speakers to the same size si it could stay hidden behind the stock speaker cover and put in a modern stereo, but I can't really hear it well over the all the engine noise.
McMark
Do you have carburetors on your car?
GTeener
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 30 2004, 01:38 PM)
Do you have carburetors on your car?

No. MFI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.