Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oily Mess ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, finally got around to clean up my engine comp and tranny and exhaust.
took a few pics of the mess ... icon8.gif

let me just remind you that the heat exchangers are SS and were spotless when we put the motor and tranny in!

also, because the input shaft is above tranny oil level, it only throws out oil while you're driving, not a single drip when parked.
well, as you will see in the pictures, except the oil that has already made it out of the tranny ...

headbang.gif Andy
SirAndy
SirAndy
SirAndy
lots of oil made it into the engine comp, the flywheel flings it around and it gets sucked into the engine comp ....

yes, it's brand new blue swepco!
SirAndy
SirAndy
even on top of the carbs ...
SirAndy
heat exchangers ...
SirAndy
other side
Aaron Cox
yummy!
SirAndy
the underside
SirAndy
nuther
SirAndy
the rear
SirAndy
even came out on the sides through the wheels!!!
SirAndy
and here's the puddle after i moved the car, this is a large can of brake cleaner to get an idea of the size.

and remember, it doesn't leak when parked, this is all stuff that dripped down after i got home, but it all had already left the tranny (while i was driving) ...

headbang.gif
SirAndy
last one ...
Aaron Cox
at least nothing will rust now! lol2.gif lol2.gif
vortrex
bet it's going to stop really well.
Brad Roberts
Dont worry. Jenny will be helping us take that tranny out this week.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 29 2004, 07:04 PM)
Dont worry. Jenny will be helping us take that tranny out this week.

haha, yeah right ...

huh.gif Andy
machina
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2004, 09:39 PM)
because the input shaft is above tranny oil level, it only throws out oil while you're driving, not a single drip when parked

Didn't catch exactly what happened to the tranny. Was your vent clogged or in the wrong direction?

dr
SirAndy
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Aug 29 2004, 07:22 PM)
Didn't catch exactly what happened to the tranny. Was your vent clogged or in the wrong direction?

looks like the main shaft seal blew out completely as soon as i put some real torque through the tranny with the new motor ...

never ending story ...
<_< Andy
rick 918-S
That sux! What a mess!
machina
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2004, 10:48 PM)
looks like the main shaft seal blew out completely as soon as i put some real torque through the tranny with the new motor ...

never ending story ...
dry.gif Andy

that doesn't make me feel to good.

my tranny is definitely an unknown right now. It came from my parts car, never ran it actually. We'll see how it likes 7500 rpm from GA.

Anything I can do to check the tranny without breaking it down. I don't think I can tackle a tranny rebuild right now.

dr
Joseph Mills
Dave,

I just went thru the same experience as Andy - leaking seal. In my case, after rebuilding the tranny, we finaly discovered the "spring" that fits around the inner "collar" of the rubber seal (main shaft) had popped off in reassembly. Cups of fluid on the ground after each test drive.

Since you've never ran your tranny, if you have a clutch disk - put it on the MS and turn it and confirm that it at least makes all gear changes.

You can drain the old fluid and refresh. Clean out the magnetic oil plug.

The MS oil seal is only five dollars - easy to replace.

Next would be what you said you don't want to do - remove the rear cover and inspect your low gear syncro and slider gear, or pull the intermediate plate and inspect all.
machina
Thanks for the tip, how do you test each gear? I could only find 4, with the selector shaft all the way up or all the way down.

My main hope for the tranny is based on a bill for work done to the car in late 1999. Guy spent $1,600 at local well known P car shop on all tranny seals, and new clutch, TO bearing.

Figured he wouldn't have spent that much on the tranny if it was not shifting OK.

dr
rhodyguy
wow!!! hard to imagine the mess could creep into the engine compartment too. what's the story with the engine mount bar? the extra trianglular piece. the story with the blue twine wrapped around the wiring? this thread will be of interest to other members sticking higher hp/torque engines in their cars.

kevin
machina
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 30 2004, 09:17 AM)
what's the story with the engine mount bar? the extra trianglular piece. the story with the blue twine wrapped around the wiring

Good eye, looks like a custom mount bar.

How much weight does it save?

dr
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Aug 30 2004, 05:52 AM)
Thanks for the tip, how do you test each gear? I could only find 4, with the selector shaft all the way up or all the way down.

My main hope for the tranny is based on a bill for work done to the car in late 1999. Guy spent $1,600 at local well known P car shop on all tranny seals, and new clutch, TO bearing.

Figured he wouldn't have spent that much on the tranny if it was not shifting OK.

dr

You are probably just "missing" your shift point in your testing. It also takes a certain amount of "firmness" - especially with good syncros.

Clutch, TO & seals constitute about 350.00 in parts. So 1250.00 for labor seems high. He may have had some syncros, etc. replaced.

The tranny is pretty easy to install and remove. If you don't want to open it up for inspection, your alternative is to just install and test in the car. It may all be fine. If not, you can drop the tranny in 1/2 hour.
machina
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Aug 30 2004, 10:42 AM)
If you don't want to open it up for inspection, your alternative is to just install and test in the car. It may all be fine. If not, you can drop the tranny in 1/2 hour.

Thanks Joseph,

I think I am going to opt for the latter choice of testing and hope for the best. You never know with these old trannys.

dr
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 30 2004, 06:17 AM)
wow!!! hard to imagine the mess could creep into the engine compartment too. what's the story with the engine mount bar? the extra trianglular piece. the story with the blue twine wrapped around the wiring? this thread will be of interest to other members sticking higher hp/torque engines in their cars.

the bar came with the engine, supposedly stronger than stock. seems to weight about the same.
the "blue twine" was used to keep the fuel-line and wires off the engine tin and has since been replaced with zip-ties ....

wink.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Nobody ever mentions the smell....transmission oil has got to be the nastiest smell ever...... icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.