can you post the link ??

B
Chris H.
Looks like a really nice one...

Bumblebee
Brad Roberts
WOW.

Nice car.

Morgage the house Bowlsby... road trip with the crew cab.

B
Dave Cawdrey
I thought it was this one. I like this one... wink.gif
Bumble Bee
ChrisReale
The one in Ohio looks great. The other looks iffy, in my opinion.
kafermeister
What a time to be broke. I'm only 4-5 hours from either of them. <_<

Rick
JeffBowlsby
Wow. That Ohio car is outstanding...one of the best LE restorations I have seen. You guys never fail to amaze me. I go to bed and there is already a thread a mile long about this car before I get up.... This car really shows what the LE cars can look like in top condition. Usually they are dull and faded and look miserable. This car sparkles, I'll bet it gets huge attention ...cool_shades.gif

Notice that there is already a bidder for the TN project car. I know the bidder and he already has a stable of LE cars...and he wants one more. Good, another one saved.

Also note a recent discovery...the LE cars all have light grey headlight relay covers as opposed to black. My research shows that the grey covers seem to have been provided on all 914 cars in the spring of 1974 through about May 1974, so they are not exclusive to the LE cars, but it helps to authenticate an LE car. The grey covers are very rare.

I will certainly include these on the 914 CanAm site as soon as I can and contact the seller for more info.

Maybe I should just buy this Ohio car and not restore the one I have? Although this one is not totally correct, it would not take much to make it perfect.
Lawrence
Beautiful car. Someone's going to score a very nice toy - doubly nice in that part of the country.
Brad Roberts
Buy it.

Road trip.

Pay for gas.

I have always secretly loved the LE's.

My second Schwinn bicycle was Yellow and Black in 1978 because of the LE's.

"all of this started with my uncle test driving a 914 back in the 70's"

B
kafermeister
Is the Ohio car John (?) Larkin's car?
Bleyseng
Damn Brad, how old were you when you got that ride?
I was 18 in 1970 when I got my first ride in a friends GF's car, we rode around half the summer night with the top off. I fell in love with the car, she was a bitch...
Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 2 2003, 12:25 PM)
Damn Brad, how old were you when you got that ride?

brad just looks old, he's actually a little kid, compared to most of us ...

smile.gif
Brad Roberts
I was born in 1970.

I didnt ride in the car. I just recalled my uncle talking about this "914" he test drove. My dad was into VW's at the time.. and I could read....so I started gathering info way back on the cars.

I still have my first and second Schwinn bicycles. My kids will ride them one day.

B
Demick
C'mon Jeff. This is a really beautiful car. You ought to go for it. I checked, and combinations of Bumblebee in CA are used up, but surprisingly enough, 914 LE is still available. That should seal the deal for you right there. Now if you could only get that in the 1960's style Black/Yellow plate......
Brad Roberts
Peer pressue from a 914 group... gotta love it !! clap56.gif

B
JeffBowlsby
I have always secretly loved the LE's

I admire an honest man Brad...most people won't fess up that they like the striking colors, at least in public. I figured thats why this BBS color schemes are that of a Bumblebee LE.... wink.gif Salute!

Is the Ohio car John (?) Larkin's car?

Definitely Not. Coincidently I recently had an email exchange with John Larkin. His car is under a tarp...snapped a rod he thinks. It is for sale though as well as a couple of others listed FS on the LE site.

Ottos Bumblebee is a work in progress...

BTW, I have also put up a few photos of Craig Stewarts Bumblebee on the site...check it out...it is extremely nice.
I will think about getting this Ohio car...we will see where the price goes...
Carl
A very nice car. Were all the LE's 2 liter engines?

Carl
Brad Roberts
Yes Carl. All of them where 2.0's.

B
ChrisReale
I started out not liking them, but I admit, I like them now. I like the creamsicle the best.
Bleyseng
I like the Creamsicle the best also. I saw a Honda or Toyota painted like a Creamsicle yesterday! Way cool and retro looking. It was all riced out with the same LE type paint job.
If I had a white car like Mike Muellers, I would paint it to be a Grasshopper just to be different.
Geoff
Mueller
Who would see it if it's always taken apart in the garage??

oh wait, that's my cr, not yours smile.gif

My car needs something color wise...the white is so boring
Aaron Cox
miami vice style aint cutting it for you mueller? laugh.gif (the painted miirors,enfine grill, etc...) i too think the LE cars have grown on me. I like the grasshoppa and da creamsicle....the bee is ok, yellow is not my favorate color tho-

BOWLSBY, how many LE's were there in each color?
JeffBowlsby
how many LE's were there in each color?

That is one of the key mysteries...There is only speculation that there were 600 Bumblebees, 300 Creamsicles and 100 Grasshoppers. I have not seen proof of these numbers though the basis for these numbers is on my website. My numbers have changed because of a letter I received just yesterday...see below.

The most believable info I have is that there were 1000 total 914 Limited Edition cars made, and they all came to the USA. I have just received a letter from the Porsche factory that there were no 914 Can Am cars delivered to Europe (those were to have been called the 914 GT). That mystery is solved. The photos of the two Euro 914 GT cars on my website must have been the final prototypes as they were in european trim.

I have to agree with you guys about the LE cars. For a long time I did not like the loud colors...but they have grown on me. I like them because they are different, and frankly I like them all now, but it is an acquired taste and most people dont like them. My better half does not like them...Oh well...the narrow road...
Aaron Cox
can you check DMV records to see how many are still "Surviving"? if one could use a DMV database, you could see how many total 914 are registered/salvage titled/ scrapped. could be a good research project. -_-
JeffBowlsby
A DMV search would be cool, but I don't think that info is available to the public. Do you know how to do it?

I did find one California LE car by a photo with a license plate, and ran it through the smog check site, but it only tells the city of the last sm og check, not owner info.

Can anyone do a search like this in CA or any other state? Becasue the 914 LE cars were only made in a narrow VIN range and only in 74, it should be a simple search.
Aaron Cox
NO ONE has friends at the DMV biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Look at that price go up! $8601 and reserve not met!
Dave_Darling
MikeZ has that Private Eye license and all. Supposedly he can check "semi-public" records for you...

I'm not real wild about the LE paint schemes. The Bumblebees are awwright, I suppose, but I'm not that fond of black cars anyway. But I'd own a Grasshopper, just because of the rarity!

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Yous guyz been watrhcing this one....

Its up to 12 Large and theres a bidding war...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.