Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats the difference between type r and s speakers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I would like to replace my car speakers, what is the difference between type s and r speakers.
fiid
Type R speakers are clearly faster. The quickest ones are also Yellow.

biggrin.gif
phantom914
Can't you make the type s speakers faster by putting a Type R sticker on them? biggrin.gif

Andrew
eeyore
agree.gif
iamchappy
Ok guys I know I heard somewhere that s or r speakers were different, is one type to be used with a crossover? I figured there would be one audio geek in the crowd.
fiid
Sorry for the lame response. I don't know what you are talking about. AFAIK there is no universal speaker terminology about type S vs type R.

I would look at the frequency response chart for the speakers you are looking at. Basically - your ear can hear 20Hz to 20kHz frequency range, and the aim of your stereo (despite what hip-hop loud boyz will tell you) is to be able to accurately reproduce all of those frequencies with the same gain. So you are aiming for a flat frequency response from 20 to 20k. If your speaker doesn't respond well below say 500Hz, then you will need to use a cross over to filter out the stuff below 500 and send it to a different speaker (one that responds better to stuff below 500Hz (a woofer would be a good choice).

Basically crossovers filter out different portions of the frequency range and send them to different speakers.

If you end up with a lumpy or curved frequency response, you can use a graphic equaliser to level it out. Then, if your preference is for mo-bass, you can jack that up, but ideally within the distortion level, so you don't sound like your average wanker in a Honda 1.3l Type R VTEC (who also has a downforce spoiler on the back of his front wheel drive car.).

Using big cables is recognized as being a good thing. It's worth reading the stereophile magazines and looking in the budget categories - there you will find the best of the common brands (sony, panasonic, ONKYO, etc) at prices that are less than the car you are putting them in. Gold plated everything is nice bling, but isn't really discernable to anyone's ears.
iamchappy
Thanks, system is already installed with 5 1/4 in the doors 4x 6 in the kick panels, and 2 - 8" subs in the firewall, All my speakers are Alpines but they are getting very old just looking to freshen them up.
iamchappy
subs
Joe Ricard
Hey thats a kinda nice looking sub behind drivers seat. Didn't think there was that much room back there.
My stereo is more of a pair of 2.0L SSI's through a 2.0L 4-2-1 Bursch cross over. The amp is Early 1.7L D-jet @ 4K RPM. Volume control comes by way of ear plugs. driving.gif
iamchappy
There is enough room for 12'" subs back there, I still like to crank up the tunes once in awhile when im not listening to my Turbo 3.0 via Flowmaster muffler. heres a picture of my enclosures on the left you can see my Revere ware SS bowel.
blaize
I assume you are talking about the current line of alpine speakers. the type s are ok but your money is better spent elseware (infinity, polk, bostons) the type r are damn good but rather pricey. I have one of their subs and it is outstanding but i think I paid close to 400 for it. Honestly, unless you are set on having alpines again, you can really get better stuff for less money from other brands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.