Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost pulled a Jenny........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
There was this BMW driving super slow in front of me. As I pulled up to it, it sped off. I figured what the hell, and downshifted and passed it. This turn was ahead, and I always go around it fast when Im messing with my suspention,,,,figured i could handle it. I realized I was going a bit fast, so I tapped the break :gilloutine: Wont do that again. back end swung around, but I corrected it, and drove the few blocks to my garage like a grandma. I made a mistake by being a cocky ass driver, but I dusted the BMW, and learned a lesson. SAVE THIS TYPE OF DRIVING FOR THE AX TRACK :toilet:
Brad Roberts
Learn to drive the car. Play with it on wet days in parking lots (I know you have wet days) You just need to learn where the limit is for the car...

B
ChrisReale
Exactly Brad. I am usually pretty reserved in my driving around town. Thois time taught me a lesson. Rain, what is that? :finger2:
L8Apex
I screwed around my block with my car on dead rock hard hoosiers in the rain. pretty fun. neighbors didn't like it. hehehe.
anthony
I made a mistake by being a cocky ass driver, but I dusted the BMW, and learned a lesson. SAVE THIS TYPE OF DRIVING FOR THE AX TRACK

I think you're totally right on. It's not worth risking your car, your insurance rates, your life and pedestrians lives on the street. Kill a few cones on the weekends.
EdwardBlume
BMWs suck... but its not worth your ride.

Glad you made it through OK... grandma.

driving.gif MDB2.gif
Curvie Roadlover
The other day I was blasting through a cloverleaf- hard on the throttle, 3rd gear, tires squealling, about 10 feet from the concrete barrier- thought about Jenny- backed off. I've never spun in a 914 but I heard that they sometimes snap around without warning. That wouldn't have been a good spot to have that happen. Next time I want to push that hard I'll need to assess the run-off area better.
ChrisFoley
I once ended up straddling the double yellow lines, facing the wrong way, on a main road. It was wet, the car had old Goodyear Eagle GT's, and I made the mistake of goosing the throttle just a little in the middle of the turn. I thought I would slide the rear end a little, but it snapped around before I had a chance to react. Fortunately the oncoming traffic was not too close. ohmy.gif
URY914
Chris,

Great avater picture. I cut that out of one of my old Car & Driver magazines. It was about 1976-77. The first speakers I bought were Altec Lancing because of the picture (or maybe the girl)

Paul
Joe Bob
Porsche motto.....NEVER LIFT or BRAKE in a turn.......PREPARE for the turn and either feather the throtle or bury your foot in it......
Lawrence
Amen, Zois.

It might scare the hell out of passengers, but "not lifting" can keep you out of the body shop.

-Rusty driving.gif
Jenny
Great! I've become an example. Like the boy who cried wolf. Glad to hear nobody pulled a "Jenny." finger.gif Many near-Jenny's though, it sounds like.

Jen
Jeffs9146
I was entering the freeway hard on the gas when my inside tire locked up, ebrake was on one click, I was spinning down the freeway at 60 miles per hour. Ended up facing the right way, down shifted and went on my way! Lucky no cars were comming!! pray.gif

Jeff
need4speed
In my previous job, my drive to work was a 20 mile romp through country roads, vinyards, horse farms, etc. There was this one tight little s-curve, and with the stock engine, stock tires, and no sway bars, I had broken the rear end loose on the ghia on many occasions. That engine sitting out there behind the rear axle's like a club.

Then I built her up with the 912 engine, 2.0l Fuchs, and sway bars. I still hadn't torqued down that loose nut behind the wheel though. . . ended up in the weeds, backwards.

Now that I have the stock engine back in there, but still have the Fuchs and the sway bars, I can't break her loose on that s-turn no matter how hard I try. confused24.gif

Of course the drive to my new job is 40 miles of the 101 freeway.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 2 2003, 10:27 AM)
Amen, Zois.

It might scare the hell out of passengers, but "not lifting" can keep you out of the body shop.  

-Rusty    :driving:

You are correct, sir!

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ May 2 2003, 03:16 AM)
The other day I was blasting through a cloverleaf- hard on the throttle, 3rd gear, tires squealling, about 10 feet from the concrete barrier- thought about Jenny- backed off. I've never spun in a 914 but I heard that they sometimes snap around without warning. That wouldn't have been a good spot to have that happen. Next time I want to push that hard I'll need to assess the run-off area better.

i too pulled a clover leaf booboo. I was along side a 911 sc and he took the inside lane and i took the outside lane. i held the line good but as i finished the turn, (ahead) i thought i was too wide! i tapped the break and the car reacted funky, spanked a 2 inch curb lip. No damage....just scared my passenger, and probably the driver of the SC who, prolly didnt even know he was racing!
KaptKaos
In my pre-914 days I had an 83 RX7. In the rain, you MUST lift your foot in that car.

Coming home, light rain, off-camber uphill left turn, wet road, thin tread on the tires. I did 2 360s on a bridge. Luckily, on-coming traffic saw me and stopped. They watched me long enough to go backwards over a curb and pop the rears and bend the rims in the process.

Moral of the story: keep the tires up, slow down in the rain, and stay off the rice!

- Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.