Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post your rust pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
I think it would be a good idea to put to gether some "buying tips" to add to the site
Basically a guide on "where to look for rust"

So please post some good pics of rust found on your cars.
Since this will mostly be read/used by 914 newbies, I'm (also) looking for pics that give you a clue on where/what you're looking at (but detail close ups are good too)

Also post some other "buying tips" if you got 'em

I'll compile it all in a "tech article"

cheers,

Jeroen
bryanthompson
my pictures (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=16079&) can probably be used as a 'what not to buy unless its given to you for free and you have too much free time' sort of deal.

I'm putting together a page of the progress I make... http://www.e4industries.com/bryan

I cleaned the garage today... hauled about 900 lbs in random pieces of wood, and 440 lbs of random metal bits to the dump. I'm hoping to go get the car this week.
GaroldShaffer
Picture of front trunk rust.
GaroldShaffer
driver side long by jack plate icon8.gif
SpecialK
Great! This thread is going to give me nightmares......"Hello Doctor, I need to schedule another session. wacko.gif
watsonrx13
Floor board rust
Joe Ricard
That must be your blue car right Rob? The burnt one had better pans than that.
Martin Baker
QUOTE(Special_K @ Aug 30 2004, 01:50 PM)
Great! This thread is going to give me nightmares......"Hello Doctor, I need to schedule another session. wacko.gif

YOU SLAY ME..... laugh.gif
datapace
Hey watsonrx13, there's a $430 shift knob lying there on the tunnel ... better clean it up and sell it on ebay! aktion035.gif

-datapace
watsonrx13
This is a shot of the inside of the engine compartment on the driver's side. This white area is the concrete showing through where it has rusted out.

Hey Joe, yea, that's the blue car (parts only).

Hey Data, I guess that shifter will fit well with the $22,000 1.7 (hahahaha) biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
This is the outside shot of the rusted area. This is the area at the bottom of the sail panel reinforced panel, the panel between the outside sail panel and the inner section. This area normally rusts out due to the chrome stip at the bottom of the vinyl on the outside of the sail panel. At the bottom of this photo is the door striker, it can also rust out because the factory put the foam seam sealer in the corner of the fender. Again, the foam seam sealer absorbed the moisture, then this rusted the metal away.
watsonrx13
Here's the inside engine compartment shot of the door striker rusted away.
watsonrx13
Door striker rusted out.
watsonrx13
Here's an area that should be looked at, the jack post. This jack post appears to be good, but on closer inspection, the post have been replaced, but the old one was never replaced correctly. Notice the new one welded on top of the old one.
watsonrx13
This is what it looked like after I removed the jack plate.
mr914
Check out my rust or ation thread. It's enought to make anyone cry...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...2&t=5574&hl=269
SpecialK
Rob, you're such a showoff biggrin.gif

Where did you get that, off the deck of the Titanic? You're making me feel like a big puss for thinking my '75 is too far gone.

You da MAN! beer.gif
jgiroux67
Wow, this thread is great. I now feel much better about the condition of my car. Thanks Guys! You've cheered me up laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.