Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobp
I asked about this once before long ago and in a faraway place. My car has basically no first gear, I at this point assume it is the synchros. The car has a new clutch and clutch cable. I worked on the shifter alignment some and all the other gears shift fine.

First is almost impossible to engage, except at a very slow rolling speed. Stopped or downshifting to first while moving don't work. It also quite frequently pops out of first when releasing the clutch.

Is replacing the 1st gear synchros something that a fairly novice home mechanic can accomplish in a reasonable time.

This is the one project that has to get done for spring, it definitely takes away from driving enjoyment.
campbellcj
I'm no mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, but you should be able to engage the gear even with bad synchros. It might crunch and require some effort, but it should go in.

I wonder if your problem isn't actually mis-aligned shift forks, or a tweaked shift linkage (adjustment/bushings etc)???

I don't think synchros will cause popping out of gear either. That is an adjustment issue.
bobp
Mine crunchs horribly and often can't be engaged at all. I went through and checked bushings and things and followed a shifter alignment that I found on the net, the rest of the gears now work great, but first sucks.
Brad Roberts
One minor change:

if the dog teeth are bad... it will jump out no matter what condition the synchros are in. (My tube car does this) Dog teeth being the teeth pressed onto the gear.

B
bobp
Brad, should I plan on replacing both the synchros and the dog teeth? If so is this something a fairly novice mechanic with decent tools can do? I used to do my own brakes, starters, carburator rebuilds, etc, until cars became so computerized that there wasn't much you could do yourself. I bought this car because I thought I could do a lot of the repairs and restoration myself. I don't want to get way over my head though and would rather pay someone for this kind of repair if it is something that will end up taking me a lifetime to do. I want to be able to drive the car come spring.
KenH
You can change 1st gear without removing the transmission see - http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...anny_repair.htm

You may need to replace the synrco or the whole gear as the dog teeth are not removable.

Ken
Bleyseng
You can do the work yourself as its not too hard. Take first gear to a shop to have the new dog teeth pressed on. Other than that you can do it all.
Geoff clap56.gif
Brad Roberts
Sorry I didnt get back sooner.

You can do first gear in your driveway with normal hand tools. I havent read the PP article (partially because they scare me) but first gear sliders are not cheap (like 245$ or so on a good day).

KenH,

We may have some nomenclature problems. I called them dog teeth (they do press onto the gears and are the same for 1st-5th)

This is what it will look like when you pull the back cover off. The little tiny gear at the top is 1st gear along with the larger one below it. The slider is connected to the steel shiny shaft with the bonze looking shift fork attached to it.
Brad Roberts
Bob,

You will need a end cover gasket. Dont buy the whole gasket kit. Any local Porsche shop that works on 914's will have seperate gaskets that they can sell. If not email me.

B
Brad Roberts
Wayne wrote the first gear article, so there should'nt be any problems with it.

B
KenH
Brad,

My mistake, I must have been thinking about the slider.

Ken
Brad Roberts
The way I wrote my reply, it appeared I was being shitty towards you (I wasnt) I thought maybe you had the parts mixed up.

I applaud your effort in helping out to answer these questions clap56.gif

B
asigel
I seem to be faced with the identical problem with my 73 1.7. Have you tried the syncro rebuild, or other things, and how did it go?

Thanks

Tony
rhodyguy
ok , i looked at all the replies this time. my FIRST question is what type of trans do you have. tail or side?

kevin
asigel
Hi Kevin

She's a 73 1.7 side shifter. Until the last trip, which was the first this spring- a bit of gear grinding, but certainly no trouble getting into first. In other words it came on suddenly. I'm not an experienced mechanic, so want to try the "easy" things first. Any advice or experience shared would be gratefully appreciated.
JWest
asigel - if it came on suddenly then it is probably not the syncros, they wear progressively. I would check the clutch adjustment first, and watch out for a stretching (and soon to be broken) clutch cable. Could also be your carpet under the clutch pedal!
Brad Roberts
Check the firewall where the clutch tube exits the tub in front of the engine. Looks for small hairline cracks moving outwards from the tubes. I'm betting the clutch tube broke in the tunnel. You will be able to adjust the clutch once or twice and it will feel correct, but it will continue to go out of adjustment.

Sudden changes in clutch behavior or shifting.... 90% of the time: broken/weak tube.

B
Aaron Cox
pardon my incompetence (NO, im not FRENCH!!!!) but.....if your clutch cable tube breaks in the tunnel...how are you supposed to fix it? hmmm? huh.gif
Bleyseng
Take a mini grinder with a cutting wheel and cut a access hole in the top of the tunnel. Reach in a reweld the clutch tube and reinforce it so it don't ever break agin.
Weld the access plate back on, ta da! done deal.
Of course, you must remove the interior, drain the gas tank, blow out the gas lines, remove the battery etc and be super safe.
Geoff MDB2.gif
rhodyguy
by any chance have you checked the coupler where the front rod meets the rear one?
asigel
Hi Folks

Thanks for the advice! I looked around at the clutch tube in the tunnel and it seems intact. The cable looks old, and still has the black plastic end-wedge. I should probably replace both. Do people prefer the 'Terry cable' to original style? And the front rear rod coupler near the firewall looks good, with a good hex locating screw. Any other thoughts on the not-going into/not-staying in first gear problem? Yesterday I replaced the two bushings at the rear of the transmission: the ball cup and the circular shift rod end bushing. Both were broken, in pieces (!) and I was hoping it would solve the problem. Things feel alot crisper in general, but the shift lever still pops out of first as soon as I lift off the clutch. If I try to raise the revs, then downshift from second, it just grinds. So now I'm trying to figure out how to check the allignment of the shift lever, and to determine if my clutch cable has the right amount of free play (it seems to have none) or is stretched. Very confusing.

While under the car I discovered one of the CV joints had 3 out of four spline head screws loose! Unbelieveable. Can the star tip socket be found at sears, or is it a Pelican/performance/AA order?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.