Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
So I have a set of megaphones for my 914-6 racecar and am wondering what to expect if I put them on. I know it will increase my low end torque a little and increase my high end, or thats at least what i have been told. Anyway, I am wondering if it is worth the time and money to put them back on and have my carbs rejetted for an upcoming race in September at Road America. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

I purchased my megaphones from GPR and I believe they were built by George at European for them. Unfortunately they didn't sell a hanger and after several attempts to reach George I still do not have a hanger. Is there anywhere else I could look or has anyone built there own?
Joe Bob
They will DECREASE the low end and marginally help the top end. Prepare to need heavy ear plugs, don't even THINK about driving it on the street.
vintage914racer
The car is a dedicated track car (not street legal) so sound doesn't bother me.
Joe Bob
Oh and if you use Georges' headers, he makes two lengths. One for a regular muffler and one for megaphones which are shorter....IF you have the longer ones...the standard 2.0 hanger will work.
seanery
mikes right about the torque and hp.
Mueller
The car is a dedicated track car (not street legal) so sound doesn't bother me.

the sound might not bother you, but you need to check if any of the tracks you would go to have the same feelings smile.gif

we have a track out here that the intake sound can get you black flagged ar15.gif
i love porsche
can someone explain to me why the carbs need to be adjusted with these?
lapuwali
A lot of tracks have a sound limit these days, and most of them have a sound level meter and check you in tech. Some clubs have a blanket limit regardless of the track, which they test for.

Laguna Seca is an extreme case due to its now being located within earshot of a number of high-priced houses (the track was there first, but that doesn't seem to matter). They have a meter running all the time at the edge of the track in a high load, uphill section (between Five and Six), where the car is likely to be at its loudest. At most events there, the limit is so low that even a pissed off small town cop wouldn't pull you over if you made that much noise.
vintage914racer
The tracks I am currently running do not have db limits and I would keep my current exhaust setup for those tracks with such limits. Originally this was a worry of mine and I was going to sell the megaphones I purchased, but all the guys I am running with have them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.