Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Exhaust for the Six - It's LOUD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nynone4
The Triad exhaust that was on the car was beginning to come apart internally, so I replaced it with another fairly low restriction alternative. Bought two 10" Supertrapps and had the local muffler guru weld up some pipes and flanges so it's an easy on / off affair if the boys in blue give me too much hassle. It's not too bad at idle (has a nice gallop and sputter), but it's LOUD under even just a little throttle and flat out HOWLS when you cram it to the floor.

Pure music!!!

Here's some Pics (I haven't gotten the short valance for it yet):
nynone4
Let's try that again:
nynone4
KHKJH
nynone4
JGKHJJHG
nynone4
MVMJHVG
Joe Bob
Those are the stainless shorty muffs....I use the longer ones on 3.6 and have used the regular mild steell ones on the 3.0.

Depending on CIS or Carbs, they like a little backpressure and removing some of the discs, quiets them a bit and will help on bottom torque.
nynone4
Thanks for the tip Mike - I've got them down to 9 discs each right now (on a carbed 2.7 RS spec motor). Seems to be happy there - but I'd like to get it onto a dyno to see what the optimum setup is as far as discs go.
TimT
I had them on my car, I think they are great mufflers. For LOUD tracks, I just pull the guts out and have instant megaphones, then for other tracks I run 18 discs, then for quiet tracks I run 6-8 discs. Yes you can feel the loss of power when you run few discs...

Mine were kinda (I have steel ones) ratty though, so I recently replaced them with this set up I made (mufflers are Coast)
TimT
BTW for those quiet track i keep the supertraps in my trailer, just a few minutes to put them back on.
Qarl
TimT... can you post a sound clip?

I can host it for you.

Regards,

Karl
Jeroen
Quarl wants to know how his mufflers will sound biggrin.gif
drew365
I've been running 18 disks on mine. Really loud. I just set them up with 6 disks for this weekends track date which is at a short tight course. I haven't run them with only 6 so I hope I didn't go too far.
I would suggest you make a hanger to hold some of the weight of the muffler otherwise I think you will be splitting your welds at the flanges.
Qarl
I have a clip (but not good) from a 911.

Just wanting a mid-engine sound clip... Should be the same... just hoping for a better quality clip.

beer.gif
TimT
Karl Im going to Watkins Glen tomorrow, Ill throw the cam in the car for a few sessions..

You will hear alot of intake noise though LOL

BTW I can host video

the website in my sig was made by me and is maintiained by me...

(I know, I still use frames on the site and havent really updated it in awhile)
d914
I have a flim clip going through the esses at Road atlanta and one on the straight sound is ok at best. Ill try to figure out how to get it to you. 2.5-6 with megaphones.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 30 2004, 04:21 PM)
I've been running 18 disks on mine. Really loud. I just set them up with 6 disks for this weekends track date which is at a short tight course. I haven't run them with only 6 so I hope I didn't go too far.
I would suggest you make a hanger to hold some of the weight of the muffler otherwise I think you will be splitting your welds at the flanges.

I run 18 as well..but I have twin sport cats up stream....need it for the smog on my 83....Manfred is getting a new muff for the street so we can tune it.....
campbellcj
Andy - have you found that a little more backpressure/midrange torque is noticably better at the Streets? I was debating whether to swap for the megaphones this weekend (vs. the 2in/2out sport muffler).

With the stock 914 gears I know I was better off with the muffler as it would bog in a few spots with the megaphones. But with short gears I am not so sure which is better on that track. For the big track the open pipes rev significantly quicker/stronger.
campbellcj
Well I think I just answered my own question, for September at least. I am getting tired of swapping exhausts and since the G.A.F. is 9/11 I think I'll just leave the muffler on. Then prior to OTR at WSIR on 9/22 I'll go to the megaphones.

I would really like to learn more about the Burns/Coast and Phase9 options so I could make full power whilst having a semi-streetable noise level.
drew365
I haven't experimented with fewer disks at the Streets yet. This will be my first, I'm hoping I didn't take too many out and leave myself no top end but we'll see Sunday. I put on very restrictive mufflers for Laguna Seca and the car ran great so I'm going to start playing with different disk counts at different tracks.Should help to make setup even more confusing. wacko.gif
campbellcj
How quick & easy is it to swap discs on the Supertrapps? Do they cool down quickly i.e. if you come off a session can you (safely) mess with them by your next session?

Frank Beck in AZ is now making a trick 914-6 race exhaust that is interesting too and supposedly makes huge power...but I suspect it is north of $2 large
drew365
It's actually fairly tedious to take out all the hex screws, separate and count the disks and put it back together. Probably takes a good 20 to 30 minutes. Not something I want to do too often at the track. If 6 disks drops my power off too much I'll try 10 on Sunday but that will be it.
Mike9142.0
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 30 2004, 09:02 PM)

Frank Beck in AZ is now making a trick 914-6 race exhaust that is interesting too and supposedly makes huge power...but I suspect it is north of $2 large

Any thing that Frank is making is 100% CRAP!!!!!!!!!! bs.gif
That twit dont know his head from a hole in the ground!
J P Stein
Tim:
I notice you've included a balance tube in your set up.
I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether or not
this is a good thing. Logic says yes, but my logic has no dyno attached biggrin.gif

Comparitive dyno work that I've seen shows the Triad muffler set-up (with a balance tube) to be at the high end of the HP charts, while Super Traps.....aren't. confused24.gif
nynone4
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 31 2004, 10:41 AM)
Comparitive dyno work that I've seen shows the Triad muffler set-up (with a balance tube) to be at the high end of the HP charts, while Super Traps.....aren't. confused24.gif

I haven't noticed any HP loss going from the Triad that was on the car to the dual Supertrapp setup without balance tube - but this is measured with my super sensitive and carefully calibrated butt dyno. Seriousy, the car doesn't not feel any different - just louder.

I hope to get the car on the dyno towards the end of winter once I get it back together after the paint job. I'm in the process of stripping it down to go to the body man right now. I'll be able to give a more definitive analysis then. biggrin.gif
d914
limited knowelge but just had mine dyno'd and they went from a balanced exhaust , a Y with one race muffler , to two separate mufflers. They got a higher rating with the new exhaust.
J P Stein
My knowledge on the subject is limited to this:

http://www.triadwestperformance.com/images.../CRANEY_TXT.htm
Joe Bob
In my experience....the 4s NEED the cross over, while the sixes "like" it....but not needed. I have noticed that a cross on a six lessens backfires and quiets the exhaust....
ben14142001
I just wanted to say hello. I'm very excited to finally post. I own an awesome original 914-6. It's been featured in several magazines before we purchased it. It was made by the owner of Kinesis wheels and sports one-of-a-kind red wheels. I'll post some pictures. It has a 3.2 L 911 engine making around 250 hp. It has a custom exhaust by Midwest Eurosport that sounds amazing. We haven't taken the engine fully apart, so we're not exactly sure what mods were done in there. It has factory flares, koni shocks, AJ racing seats, Simpson harnesses. It is an great car. If I could post a video of it, that would be very cool, but I haven't figured out how. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I will try to see if I have any pics of the exhaust around.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 30 2004, 06:21 PM)
I haven't run them with only 6 so I hope I didn't go too far.

drew356

FWIW: I have a friend that has a 2.2-6 with S cam. He runs a single supertrapp.

His engine should be around 240hp at the crank.

On the chassis dyno with about 4 discs it pulled about 106 at the rear wheel.

He added about 8 discs to total 12, and it pulled 128hp at the rear wheel (which would equate to about 140 at the crank).

Interestingly, it didn't alter his torque much either way.

Apparently, you can really choke down your power with too few discs.
Mueller
ben14142001,

welcome...ah yes, I have taken numerous pictures of that car....you need to post more !!!!!!!

one of the nicest 914s I ever seen wub.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(Mike9142.0 @ Aug 30 2004, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 30 2004, 09:02 PM)

Any thing that Frank is making is 100% CRAP!!!!!!!!!! bs.gif
That twit dont know his head from a hole in the ground!

Are you serious about your statement, as I do not really know the man (met him once for about 15 seconds) but he has prepped/built some of the nicest 914-6 race cars I've ever seen. These are 2.0 & 2.5 VARA cars that run low 1:30's at Willow Springs; which is a very solid time for a >3.0L 911.

Not that it matters much to me either way as I am not about to spring for a $3000 exhaust setup anytime soon...
Mike9142.0
I worked for him for a year and a half and have seen the he works.
campbellcj
FWIW this is the 911 version of the Beck exhaust I mentioned... sorry to hear you had a bad experience working for him but this exhaust does not look/sound like "junk" to me at this point based on the limited owner feedback I've heard

beer.gif

IPB Image
Mike9142.0
I wonder who makes it for him?
maf914
I saw this header system while browsing the Gunnar Racing site. It's for a 904 six restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.