Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal TwistyTour Sunday 9/19
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
This is a repost to clear the clutter. So much fun, let's try it again.

No Host TwistyTour Sunday 9/19/04

Depart Flying J Truckstop, Gorman 9:00am(ish) via Lockwood Valley and Ojai to Elkins Ranch Golf Course, Fillmore for lunch 11:30am(ish). All makes welcome.

Starting point is about one hour north of LA off I5 at the Mt Pinos/Frazier Mountain Road Exit. This is a tour, not a caravan nor a race. Start at A, end at B, drive at your own pace. Yield to faster cars!

Directions:
Leave Flying J, take Frazier Mountain Rd West ~6 miles to Lockwood Valley Rd.
Left (only choice) ~27miles to T. Left on SR33 toward Ojai, ~37 miles to T.
Left on SR150 ~18 miles to T. East on SR126 ~9 miles to SR23.
Right ~2 miles to Elkins Ranch.

Notes:
Breakfast is OK at Flying J, but avoid the buffet unless you like deep fried lard balls.
Get gas before you go, 70 miles no services. Cell phones useless.
When they say 'Dip' on Lockwood Valley Rd, they ain't kidding.
Coming down into Ojai just after Wheeler Gorge campground is a perennial wet spot in the road. Slow down.

Bring a putter and ball if you want in on the putting contest.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
drew365
Looks like fun Howard. I've been on that same route with two different car clubs. I'm surprised Chips doesn't spend more time there. If I have a suitable car running I'll try to join you. I doubt that my F car will be ready for a shake down cruise by then but I can always hope. I love driving my 914 on the track but don't really enjoy putting a lot of street miles on it. Maybe I need another car. I'll have to bring that up with the wife. chair.gif
curtis
HOW FAR PAST WHEELER RIDGE IS THE FLYING -J TRUCK STOP?
nine one four
by gorman ya?
seanery
looks like it from the map. driving.gif
Mike D.
How much response on this? I'm interested, is it still on?
-Mike D.
Howard
Was just about to bump this to see if any interest. I do these runs almost every weekend so I'll be there. It's also posted on Pelican, and the last few times we've gotten 10-12 cars.
Brando
Not including time necessary to recover from saturday night, i would never make it there by 9:00 AM. POOPSTICK. Someone's gotta organize something a bit closer to the riverside/san bernadino area wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 14 2004, 08:04 AM)
Not including time necessary to recover from saturday night, i would never make it there by 9:00 AM. POOPSTICK. Someone's gotta organize something a bit closer to the riverside/san bernadino area wink.gif

Aaron already did. Where in the hell were you?
phantom914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 04:48 AM)
Sorry, I'll be loading up a pile of 914 parts with a friend. We'll have plenty of parts to sell when you break your toys biggrin.gif

Yeah, well, actually (besides Howard's and yours) no 914's showed up at Howard's last two tours, just 911's and a couple of "other" makes. Why is that? Pelican 911 guys gives Howard more support. C'mon Guys!! wink.gif

Andrew
phantom914
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 14 2004, 07:04 AM)

Acox914 was thinking of another run in the area maybe September 25 or 26.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(phantom914 @ Sep 14 2004, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 04:48 AM)
Sorry, I'll be loading up a pile of 914 parts with a friend.  We'll have plenty of parts to sell when you break your toys biggrin.gif

Yeah, well, actually (besides Howard's and yours) no 914's showed up at Howard's last two tours, just 911's and a couple of "other" makes. Why is that? Pelican 911 guys gives Howard more support. C'mon Guys!! wink.gif

Andrew

thats becuz this run is in NORCAL wink.gif

as far as im concerned, LA is nor cal cool.gif
25 is lookin good
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 08:35 AM)
If there are any other 914s, he gives out bad directions so they get lost.

well, when youre as old as dirt, you tend to have a bad memory when it comes to maps wink.gif
Brando
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 07:16 AM)

Was probably before i signed up for 914world.com! If you're meaning GAF, i was working all day sat & sun, and that one i didnt even read about until the 356 incident in ventura.

Anyhow, traffic between here and there would be hell. I'd probably be one of the "hey, wait for me!" guys. Not to mention, it's hard to read directions with a hangover drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 14 2004, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 14 2004, 07:16 AM)

Was probably before i signed up for 914world.com! If you're meaning GAF, i was working all day sat & sun, and that one i didnt even read about until the 356 incident in ventura.

Anyhow, traffic between here and there would be hell. I'd probably be one of the "hey, wait for me!" guys. Not to mention, it's hard to read directions with a hangover drunk.gif

howard...thank brando for the hijack!

brando, it was the day you had your Riv AX. i posted here and on pelican.

continue with your NOR CAL drivel biggrin.gif
phantom914
Brandon,

Aaron's (Acox914) run was from Lake Matthews area to Dana point last month. The next one will probably be the same.

Andrew
Howard
I take one of the cars just about every weekend on an interesting road. It helps clear my mind and get away from the daily grind of coping with family, clients and employees who tend to complain sometimes.

Thought I would share this joy with fellow 914 owners, not a bunch of fucking whiners. So if it's too far, too hot, to big, too small, too fast, too slow, go play with yourself. I'm going for a drive. finger.gif
Scott Carlberg
Kewl, are we northern-california folks welcome?

I'm planning on going to Magic Mountain on Saturday, might as well stay over
and go for the drive on Sunday.
Brando
Why the hell not... I'll do my best go smile.gif

- Will try to convince female freind to accompany. Not so good at navigation but she knows how to read a map <_<
Scott Carlberg
Anyone in charge for this GTG have a phone number, just in case I change my mind and Participate?

Right now, I'm not going to stay over a 2nd nite, instead I'm going to drive home from Magic Mtn on Sat nite.

But, there's always maybe.... wink.gif
Howard
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Sep 17 2004, 02:43 PM)
Anyone in charge for this GTG have a phone number, just in case I change my mind and Participate?

Right now, I'm not going to stay over a 2nd nite, instead I'm going to drive home from Magic Mtn on Sat nite.

But, there's always maybe.... wink.gif

The cell service up there sucks, so just be there. Breakfast at 8ish leave at 9ish. Nothing formal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.