Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funding a conversion by parting out a running 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
I keep thinking that this is the cheapest way to fund a 914-6 conversion. Am I crazy?

For example I've seen a 75K miles 911SC advertised (with a salvage title) for $10K. It looks good in the pics. So I'm thinking that you keep the engine for a 914 and part out the rest of the car.

First, what is the value of a low mileage 3L engine?

I figure you can get $1500 for a known good 915 transmission.

At that point do you sell the rolling chassis to someone that wants to make a track car or do you part it out piece by piece?

What's the going rate on a 911 rolling chassis in good condition?
Brad Roberts
I sold a very decent 911SC roller for 7k back when people had jobs. I bought the hole car running and driving for 3500$ and sold the engine for 3500$.

You wont get 1500$ for the tranny. Too many used 915's out there.

If it has a solid top (no sunroof) the racers might want it.. problem is: very few people are building 911's for racing right now.

Wheels+Tires= maybe 500$

Suspension: front (depends on what year it is) but the early SC's had 911 S front calipers... (400$ for complete setup) if it is the later 79 and up SC it will have typical struts that fetch (500$ for the complete front end)

10k is high for a salvage titled car.

It would be difficult right now to pull that off and make money.

B
boxstr
Good thaoughts Anthony, Brad is right on the $10k for salvage title. I paid $6500 for an 83 SC cab w/75k miles and needing minor TLC.
If you are going to use more then just the motor, such as the front suspension, trans?,wheels,etc. Then you might be coming out ahead, but you have to buy right to start with.
CCLINSUNNYCAMP
Lawrence
6500 for an 83 SC in good condition?

Geez... prices must have fallen significanty. That kind of deal makes a 3.0 swap look pretty attractive.

-Rusty
anthony
This is the car that got my mind working:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/10624652.html

I realize that a $10K car is on the high side for making the economics of this work. It seems like a nobrainer if you can find the right car at $6K or $7K.

If it has a solid top (no sunroof) the racers might want it.. problem is: very few people are building 911's for racing right now.

Because of the economy or because of something going on in the 911 racing scene?
GWN7
There is this one on ebay:

Yellow 71 2.4L

Might be worth watching
914guy
It looks like someone put a significant amount of wrench time in on that car, and then quit slightly short of the goal..

Could be a very good deal for someone close by.

~Eric
Brad Roberts
People are starting to move to the later 911's for race chassis' (964/993)

I know what I would do in this case.

Quickly find out what states dont recognize Ca. salvage titles and sell it out of state with a clear title from that state.

I personally have not gone thru this process but know of people that have. Ca. used to issue salvage titles when the wind blew. I forget which states... but several of them close by (Nevada/AZ/Utah) dont "except" the salvage title and will issue a new clean one.

Then sell it for 13-14k. IF IF the engine doesnt have broken heads studs and the such.

I buy 911SC targa's around here running for 6500$ and up... lots and lots of warn out SC targa's in this area.. I buy them straight from the repair shops before they even make it to the classifieds.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.