Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smog Law Changes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Just wondering that since the California legislature is now adjourned, is it still alive?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_...827_status.html
anthony
I just got an email from Hagerty that says it is alive:

Subject: FINAL STAND--CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS EXEMPTION REPEAL BILL MOVES TO GOVERNOR FOR SIGNATURE OR VETO

URGENT CALIFORNIA ALERT--IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED

The Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association (SEMA) sent the Hagerty Protection Network the following Urgent Legislative Alert to share with our customers, agents, and supporters in California. If you have any questions regarding this alert, please call or email Sydney McManus, Hagerty Protection Network Legislative Director, at 800-922-4050, x8787 / smcmanus@hagerty.com or Steve McDonald, SEMA Vice President of Governmental Affairs at stevem@sema.org.

The Final Stand:  California Emissions Exemption Repeal Bill Moves to Governor for Signature or Veto

On Friday (Aug. 27), the California Legislature approved A.B. 2683 with damaging amendments.  A.B. 2683 is the legislation that would repeal the state's current rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older.  The bill repeals the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replaces it with a law requiring the PERMANENT testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles.  The amendments do not protect car collectors and are being opposed by Hagerty, SEMA and the major car clubs and organizations in California.  The bill is now in the hands of the Governor who can choose to veto it or sign it into law.  

We Urge You to Contact Governor Schwarzenegger IMMEDIATELY to Request His Veto of A.B. 2683!

The Governor may be reached at:
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

To send an Electronic Mail please visit:

The bill requires the following:

1.      Require vehicles of the post 1975 model year insured as collector cars (driven only to parades, exhibitions, etc.) and at least 35-years old to continue in the Smog Check program for the duration of the vehicle's life.

2.      Revise the Smog Check testing regimen for these qualifying vehicles to include a tailpipe test, functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.  The vehicle would be forced to comply with the exhaust emissions standards for the vehicle's class and model year as prescribed by California regulators.

Despite assurances from the bill's sponsors that a good faith effort would be made to address hobbyist concerns, this bill continues to betray the trust of the collector car community.  There is nothing that differentiates a 1975 from a 1976 vehicle requiring one be accorded a lifetime exemption while the other is not.  Further, with regulators having proposed yearly testing of these older vehicles, this bill could be far costlier and even more burdensome to vehicle collectors in the future.  In addition, regulators could set emissions standards to any level that suits their purposes in order to ensure inspection failures of these 1976 and later model cars.  Finally, nothing in this bill would stop regulators from bringing 1975 and older vehicles back into the Smog Check program at a later date.  

The truth remains the same:

California's current law recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.
Vehicles 30-years old and older still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).
Legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case.    The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

Please contact Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org  or Sydney McManus at smcmanus@hagerty.com if you have any questions.  

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter and your continued commitment to the hobby.

Sincerely,

McKeel Hagerty
Hagerty Protection Network
Allan
FUCK!
SLITS
We elected the assholes - now we'll suffer for it.
Howard
I'll bet Ahnold will veto if we cause enough commotion. His buddy Leno has given him the word that car nuts do vote. Print the letter, add your signature, and send it. Couldn't hurt.
SLITS
QUOTE(Howard @ Aug 31 2004, 09:35 AM)
I'll bet Ahnold will veto if we cause enough commotion. His buddy Leno has given him the word that car nuts do vote. Print the letter, add your signature, and send it. Couldn't hurt.

Yep, there's a combo for ya - A meat whistle blower and a snorter. One is funny and should be on TV; the other is on TV and isn't funny.

Where's Soupy when we need him!
Allan
Just sent the governator another e mail and hard copy letter. Who's next?
Allan
icon_bump.gif
Allan
Just got another update. Says it's in the assembly? Anyone know what gives?

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 2683
AUTHOR(S) : Lieber (Coauthor: Senator Machado).
TOPIC : Air pollution: smog check.
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 08/26/2004

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/27/2004
LAST HIST. ACTION : In Assembly. Concurrence in Senate amendments pending.
May be considered on or after August 29 pursuant to
Assembly Rule 77. Assembly Rule 77 suspended. Senate
amendments concurred in. To enrollment.

TITLE : An act to amend Section 44011 of the Health and Safety
Code, and to amend Sections 4000.1 and 4000.2 of the
Vehicle Code, relating to air pollution.
PorscheTom
They probably have not updated the website yet.

I'm going to cut and paste that letter into my own version and send it off to Ahnold. I thought he did a really great job at the convention last night. My own .02.

Geez, I also contacted the legislators when this was up for discussion. So much for representing the 'people'. Those people get elected and do what ever they want to do regardless of what the public tells them to do. Well, I say vote them all out and finger.gif them.
dmenche914
before you vote them all out, check the voting rooster and see who voted for, and who voted against this bad smog law. Some senators, and assembly persons voted no, the majority of them Republicans. keep this in mind when you vote them out, not all of them are bad. I spoke with tom mcClintocks staff, and he told me that the problem with this law, and other mess with the public laws, is the wacko legislature making bad laws while ignoring important issues (electric shortage, budget issues) This is typical of the way things have been since one party got control of the house and Senate.

At anyrate a good letter and a phone call to Gov. Arnold are in order, please ask all you friends and family to do likewise. Volume of mail is what counts. Offer to pay for the stamps (how many stamps will one smog check buy???)

Send Arnold a picture of your car, tell him why the law is bad, and ask him to veto it. Also do a web search, and get on other car talk lists and let them know what is at stake, get the word out, a veto is all we have now, it must happen.

dave
Allan
Should I start a poll to see how many of you object to this change? It will affect all collectors eventually! I need you help. Please send letters in opposition to the Governor if you live in California no matter what year your car is. This has long term repercusions!!! Please. ohmy.gif
chunger
This is no good. . .. finger.gif I will write and call. .. well, call and write. . . and give this thread a free bump.

Although not as effective as snail mail, please at least send and email to the governor's office through their form. They at least automatically tally the emails supporting and opposing bills that way.

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

-'Chung
dgw
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Sep 1 2004, 03:28 PM)
Some senators, and assembly persons voted no, the majority of them Republicans.

Don't politicize the thread. Politics have divided this country in the worst way due to marketing and media whose goal is to win, not discuss issues. Starting this will destroy 914club just like it will destroy the country if not fixed.
Allan
Anyone know how long the Governor has to veto a bill? If he takes no action, does it automatically go into effect? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
No action from Ahnold and it passes...he HAS to veto it to kill it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.