Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 vs 1974 914 2.0L differences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Some say 73 and 74 2.0L 914s are basically the same car, except most of the equipment in 73 became optional in 74. While essentially true, lets put that aside and assume both cars were equally equipped whether standard or optionally...there were many more differences in details than most realize. So what were all the differences? Lets document the differences here.

This is not a 73 vs 74 debate as to which is better, faster or preferred so hold back on the editorializing, its just asimple thread identifying the differences, no matter how small between the two model years, for the reader to discern.

To start it off, here are three pages from the 1974 2.0 Service and Training Manual describing some of the differences...I know of others. Post what you know and photos are helpful.
Valy
1. The buttons on the gauges.
2. The rear trunk cover
hot_shoe914
Dash gauge covering went from glass to plastic.

I believe the charcoal canister changed location.
eric9144
Thanks for all the great info Jeff...I never knew where that Tow Eye was supposed to be placed. I'll move mine to the appropriate location this weekend.
mwyatt
Interesting information! Never knew about the tow eye. I believe there were several chassis changes as well - notably the reinforcement beams in the doors and the circular bracing in the front trunk.
ClayPerrine
The rims on the gauges were reduced from the tall 911 style to a short, rounded style.

Oh..and thanks for the info about the seats. I always wondered why I had to slide the seat all the way forward in Betty's 74, and I had to sit 2 notches back in my 73.

orange914
popcorn[1].gif
good thread
GeorgeRud
I wonder about the automatic seatbelts! Never heard of those (unless they meant auto-retracting).
Tom_T
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 2 2012, 11:01 AM) *

I wonder about the automatic seatbelts! Never heard of those (unless they meant auto-retracting).

George,

My early 73 2L had the retracting type 3-pt. seat belts, and it was built 8/72, so I was puzzled by that one - unless it was a CA requirement in 73, then all 50 states for 74?? confused24.gif

Jeff - any thoughts???? confused24.gif

BTW Jeff - I need to get that pkg. back to you today or tomorrow, been too buried with work.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
For the record - for the general 74 MY 914 line, the biggest change was that the 1.7 motor was dropped for the "new" 1.8L unit.

Other 2.0 changes I recall offhand were -

EFI components changed in 74 (maybe some late 73 MY):

MPS was -037 in 73, then -043? in 74-76

CHT went to -012 in 74-76

probably some other EFI components changed too.

2.0 Air Box lid/top went to banded from diamond embossing in late 73 with early use of 74 MY parts.

Ditto for the black plastic door threshold & carpet strip pieces (from earlier aluminum ones) same as above.

OT Gauge went to the narrow red band as noted in the pix Jeff posted - both for the center console gauge, as well as for the newly substituted combo fuel/OT gauge which became a "standard eqpt." on non-center console 2.0's in 74 MY (see below re: de-optioning), & this is a good way to tell if a 74-76 914-2.0 may have been originally a base model with a console added later);

and changes to the main instrument bezels & plastic covers (from glass) as noted above,

but the 3 main gauges also switched to the black center buttons (from the older silver bullet style),

and the Tach went from left & right turn signal indicator lights to just a single indicator for both L&R TS (as VW used in all their cars through the 80's).

The rear 914 & 1.8 & 2.0 emblems went to black plastic (from the painted or anodized aluminum ones).

The LE option was offered mid-year, and the accessory negative side stripe decals came out, and under their "Personalization Program" you could order the LE look option on any 914 (paint scheme, painted wheels, blackout sail/rollbar trim, side stripes).

All Appearance & Performance Groups & individual options became extra cost options,

... after initially being "included options" on the USA's "914 S"/914-2.0 - and then late in the 73 MY wen the DM to dollar exchange rate increased the prices from $5299 POE West Coast to $7599 IIRC by the end of the 73 MY they started offering "de-contented/de-optioned" 914-2.0s with some of the PG or AG groups or individual options removed for a lower base price to help their advertising & sales rate.

74 MY Advert for 2.0 (courtesy of Jeff's website):
Click to view attachment

vs. - 73 MY "914 S" / 914-2.0 ad from Dec. 72 (color one courtesy of Jeff's website):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Note that they used the exact same photo for both MY's adverts! shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 2 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Note that they used the exact same photo for both MY's adverts!

I doubt that's a photo. looks like a drawing to me.

Plus, the front bumper titts look nothing like the real thing ...
shades.gif
KELTY360
I have an early '74 2.0(#700) with silver buttons and glass covers on the gauges.

Good information Jeff, thanks.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 2 2012, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 2 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Note that they used the exact same photo for both MY's adverts!

I doubt that's a photo. looks like a drawing to me.

Plus, the front bumper titts look nothing like the real thing ...
shades.gif

No Andy,

I have the original in B&W, and it is definitely a photo, but the tits were definitely added with artwork, which was a common practice in the old pre-PhotoShop days.

My guess is that we'll find a pre-73 ad of the red one without tits somewhere, and perhaps without the side stripe &/or 2L Fuchs (IIRC from back-in-the-day I saw it in a magazine while in college in 70-72).

Here's one where they added "tits" to a pre-73 ad -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 2 2012, 12:47 PM) *

I have an early '74 2.0(#700) with silver buttons and glass covers on the gauges.

Good information Jeff, thanks.

Marc,

My 8/72 build 73 2L VIN ....1184 originally had the chrome window winders & interior door handle cups, and late front calipers with early rear calipers, and may have had the A-pillar/windshield frame vinyl quirk on it before I bought it in Dec. 75.

I think both of ours are/were examples of early MY parts bin changeover use of remaining prior MY parts.
sixerdon
The appearance group components changed between the two years, also. The vinyl sail and related trim became part of the standard package for MY '74 and succeeding years. All of this of course excludes the LE and ROW models. The ROW models had a different marketing approach through the entire production timeline.
Also, the headlight surrounds and headlight trim became black which was white and chrome respectively in '73.
I'm sure there are other items that were introduced in mid-year '74. I'd like to see this thread moved over to the O&H forum as I fear it will get forgotten in just a short time. Too bad......
Don
Tom_T
agree.gif .... it's seems forgotten already! sad.gif

And chance one of the admins can check with Jeff, and then move it? confused24.gif
...Jeff??

Another difference - seatbelts, warnings, interlocks & starters.....

In reading the last Panorama, Tech Tips article on 74 starter problems (p. 91 Jan. 2012 ed.), they mentioned the 1 year only (74 MY) seatbelt-ignition interlock that prevented starting unless driver & pass./stuff were belted in.

`73 & earlier had only the warning light, whereas the 75-76 had only the buzzer + light because the NTSB/NTSHA had dropped the interlock safety requirement on all cars after the 74 MY due to tech problems with them on all cars/mfgrs. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.