Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT What has Bill done to my PC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Don't know if you've gotten this yet, but latest windows update is a hoot. Clicked the button, and an hour later it's still grinding. So do it when you're leaving for a while sad.gif .

Looks like the whole op system was replaced. Any of you gurus know whazzup?
Qarl
I installed it... without any problems.

The Security Advisor changes some settings. My remote desktop connection stopped working. TUrns out you have to click some "exceptions" to the firewall rules.

Other than that... nothing unusual noted as far as performance or features.

Regards,

Karl
Aaron Cox
i downloaded it last night. it seems to have made startup much slower on my new laptop. <_<
GWN7
Friends reported problems with it last night. Aparently it can cause problems connecting to your IP (firewall issue?).

I guess it's Bills way of solving the spam problems, if you can't connect you don't get any spam. wink.gif
Qarl
I had no problems with connecting to my IP. At least for me.

Well, initially I thought so, but you have to look up the firewall exceptions and change the settings.

I had the same issue, until I dug thorugh the options.
914werke
Too little too late folks mad.gif

New attack:

1) bypasses any security settings in Windows XP SP2
2) get's in via a IE vulnerability
3) shuts down the Microsoft Personal Firewall
4) installs backdoor trojan

XP sucks!
Rhodes71/914
Never have these problems with my Mac at home. biggrin.gif

I hate that I have to use a PC of the office. mad.gif
Pnambic
I haven't bothered with it yet, been too busy, but a co-worker of mine, who was in on the beta testing said that it installed very smoothly and has significantly sped up his boot and shut down times. huh.gif

Another coworker had to reinstall his OS. <_<

Make sure you have all your important stuff backed up to CD!
seanery
Worked great for me. It stops popups on it's own, now! smilie_pokal.gif

Download & Install took a while 110 megs and everyone and their mother downloading at the same time. wacko.gif
d7n7master
I had a bitch of a time with the firewall too. Called my ISP and they said "is your firewall active". I said "yes". I turned it off. No more problem. That suckz. what's the firewall for if you have to turn it off to get on-line???
And now it seems that when I go to my picture folder it takes forever to open a pic. Guess my old 2.6 needs more memory or somethin'... (I STILL miss my mac)
dinomium
this is the biggest deployment ever! there are over 50 known software aps that will crash after the upgrade... and I LOVE windows, it keeps my family fed and me in broken 914s!
read all about it here: XP service pack info straight from Microsoft!

to be really secure, you need a hardware firewall. Microsoft is just too juicey a target... Cisco, Oracle and Sun have all had to launch Patching type updates now too, but you don't hear about them on yer local nooz... oops turning into a rant...sorry
happy11.gif
Pnambic
If you don't want to download, order a FREE CD. No shipping even. I got mine in two days!
Aaron Cox
i got my patch from download.com

good stuff
Aaron Cox
arg... now it blocks private message pop ups from this site. (Sorry for late response fiid) finger.gif bill gates
seanery
easy fix Aaron.

click on the little box it makes on the upper left. you can tell it to allow 914World.com popups

had to do that one muhsef
GWN7
I odered the CD....

This order will be shipped via: standard. You should receive your CD within 4 - 6 weeks
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 1 2004, 02:36 PM)
easy fix Aaron.

click on the little box it makes on the upper left. you can tell it to allow 914World.com popups

had to do that one muhsef

done
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.